TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Robb's Silver Bullet Review

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Silver Bullet, to ME, was just very slow. It seemed to meander around the course instead of racing through it. It seemed to have no pacing to it whatsoever. I'm used to a good coaster where there's a *WOW* moment, then you catch your breath...then *WOW* again, catch your breath, and you slam into the break run and really need to catch your breath and think "WOW! That REALLY kicked ass!!!!. Batman does this, Nemesis does this, Dragons does this...Silver Bullet doesn't even come CLOSE to doing this. Silver Bullet was just kind of boring, IMO. It almost felt like it was going to roll back going into the brake run!!!

The ONLY element I thought was remotely cool was the overbank going into the cobra roll. And even that, which was the best element on this coaster, would be an "ok" element on an outstanding coaster.

The ride felt like it could have rolled back at least a couple of times during the ride. And I rode in the back row, which is usually the most intense row for B&M's, and i just found it to be lack luster at best.

I took one ride on Silver Bullet, which was a walk on, and had no desire to ride again...whereas right after that I went over to XLR8R where I rode 5 times in a row and *LOVED* every ride. XLR8R is *WOW* all the way through, IMO.

Still, Silver Bullet is better than most Vekoma coasters, so even the "worst" B&M, IMO is still in the top 25% of all coasters in the world.

But Silver Bullet reminded me more of Air or Silver Star than any other B&M. It certainly was the most tame, forceless B&M Invert I've been on. If there was ever a B&M that *should* have a 48" height restriction based on forces, it should be this one.

It seemed more like a family ride than a "thrill machine." The ride was "fun", it just didn't seem very "thrilling." It was fun in the same way Big Thunder Mountain is "fun."

The interesting thing is, because I ended up being at Knott's by myself that day, I asked the 5 different people I ended up sitting next to on XLR8R what their favorite coaster at Knott's was. NONE of them said Silver Bullet, and they had all ridden it. 3 people said XLR8R, 1 said GhostRider, and 1 said Boomerang!!! :shock: I know it's a small sample group, but still an interesting "litmus test."

Ok, that's my review! I know some other people have different opinions, but I wonder how many other B&Ms they have ridden in comparison. My B&M count is pretty much all of them in North America minus Batman at SFNO and La Ronde, Europe - Nemesis, Air, Oblivion, Silver Star. Japan - Pyrenees, Orochi. A total of 43 B&Ms.

--Robb "It wasn't the worst B&M I've been on, but FAR from the best." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

^ I've never waited more then 15min to ride SB, even the day I was at Knott's between X-mas and New Year's. While the line was 30min for GR and 1hr30 for Xcel, SB was only a 15 min wait.

So is SB more forceless and boring then Talon? Personly I think they are both about the same.

Dragons doesn't have any "wow" moments, at least, not to me. I find that it ends way too quickly, and you go into inversions way too fast. I'm just sitting there, going, "Okay, where's the dueling effect?" I love the back of coasters, though, and I usually get stuck there with express passes, so I'm not sure if it just sucks from the back, or if the ride really sucks.

So is SB more forceless and boring then Talon? Personly I think they are both about the same.

I felt the same way with Talon.

Just felt that it lacked any punch. I thought Talon was really overhyped. Thought it lacked any strong forces like Rapotr's final helex,etc. An inverted roller coaster should really have some strong forces at some point in the ride.

So Robb I take it the end of SB is the opposite of Raptor which slams you into the break run with a turn that is probably tighter then it should be?

Hey Robb-

Just wanted to get your take on any of the SUF's (now the novelty has worn off somewhat). I keep hearing all these people complaining about SUF being forceless and boring (except the pretzel loop), and I completely disagree.

I've been on SFGAdv's and SFOG's (the best by far), and I still think it's a rush to ride it. And as for it being forceless, I don't know how much force people want to feel on a ride that's throwing your body against the harness...

Sorry to get off topic, but was curious about your thoughts.

Dragons, especially fire, is definatly a *WOW* catch breath *WOW* catch breath ride. I was almost overwhelmed by the shear G's on Fire. So much so, Ive never been on a ride to date that has pushed my arms down from being up, but Fire managed to start pushing them down in the helix and loop. Those loops are just SO small for the speed, but OH so good.

SB does look like it meanders, but still looks fun. However, I think you are correct in saying its more of a family ride. I think thats actually what Knotts wanted.

Kumba is hella intense, the only problem is its TOO intense. I would have liked to have actually floated in the Zero G, but instead I got whipped through. All the othre elements I loved that power, but the Zero G is supposed to be that, Zero G. Instead, its like a BTR Zero G roll that I have dubbed the "Speed Roll", theres very little Zero about it.

They can build em like those you mentioned Robb, it just takes the right park willing to tell them to push it to the edge.

Just wanted to get your take on any of the SUF's (now the novelty has worn off somewhat). I keep hearing all these people complaining about SUF being forceless and boring (except the pretzel loop), and I completely disagree.

I've been on SFGAdv's and SFOG's (the best by far), and I still think it's a rush to ride it. And as for it being forceless, I don't know how much force people want to feel on a ride that's throwing your body against the harness...

Sorry to get off topic, but was curious about your thoughts.

I have to agree with what you're heard from other people, unforutantly. I've been on all three of them, and they are all the same, and while they have one of the most INTENSE elements of any B&M (the pretzel loop), it's followed by another thousand or so feet of track that puts me to sleep.

Nevertheless I actually really LIKE the SUF's. They are much MUCH better than Air! It's a coaster that I would ride at least once per visit, probably twice, but it's not my favorite ride at any park one has been installed.

For example, at SFOG, I'd MUCH rather ride Cyclone or Mindbender than SUF. At SFGadv I'd much rather ride Chiller or Nitro over SUF, and at SFGam I'd rather ride V2, Raging Bull, or Viper.

So, yeah...I'm in the camp where I think they are overrated, but I still like them. More than I like Silver Bullet, Air, Silver Star, etc...not my favorite rides in the world, but they are still a LOT of fun.

--Robb "I hope that answers your question." Alvey

I'm just glad that I can get six loops at knotts on a ride without having to go on a vekoma Although Silver Bullet isn't an intense ride I think it fits in with the park very well and it adds a bit more of a selection of what type of coaster you want to go on. Not to mention it cuts down on line times for some other rides.

Dragons doesn't have any "wow" moments, at least, not to me. I find that it ends way too quickly, and you go into inversions way too fast. I'm just sitting there, going, "Okay, where's the dueling effect?" I love the back of coasters, though, and I usually get stuck there with express passes, so I'm not sure if it just sucks from the back, or if the ride really sucks.

No wonder you didn't notice the dueling. You're supposed to ride in the front, not the back.

^ I agree.

Air and Silver Star are easily the two most 'forceless' B&M's I've been on. Talon and Silver Bullet are next.

--Robb "Why can't they make 'em like Nemesis, Kumba, and Dragons anymore???" Alvey

I agree that Air is pretty forceless, but yet it's not intended to be a forcefull or intense ride.

Nemesis Inferno at Thorpe Park is another coaster that should be added to the forceless B&M list! Its fun, but just doesn't have the same intensity as its big sister!

^ Yeah, I kind of wonder what happened to Nemesis Inferno. I keep hearing mixed reviews about it, but a lot of the 'glowing' reviews are from people that live near it. Kind of like the glowing reviews of Silver Bullet I keep hearing.

Then again, we had heard nothing but bad things about Batman: Dark Knight at SFNE, and we didn't think that was as bad as people made it out to be.

Not the best ride in the world, but far from B&M's worst.

--Robb

I live near SFNE, and I must say that the best part of that coaster is the zero g roll. I like it. I wont wait more than 30 minutes to ride, but its fun.

Now, Alepengeist on the other hand, I rode that in the back seat twice back to back, and let me tell you, i think a blood vessel in my head broke. I had the BIGGEST headache i had ever had. Makes me want to go back.

As for forceless B&M's, i must say that may least fav B&M is Apollo's Chariot. Man, that is such a boring ride. Are all B&M Hypers like that????

Rob "Prefer Intamins" D

Seriously more forceless than Medusa at Marine World? I went on it twice but more because it was almost walk on the day I went while others were quite a line. I honestly felt like I could probably fall asleep on that...

What happened to B&M their rides used to have oomph. Now they just have well...

^ Silver Bullet is a LOT like Medusa at SFMW. Same kind of ride. Really big, huge layout, and the ride just feels 'floaty' for lack of a better term.

There isn't anything really 'bad' about it, just nothing amazing that makes you want to IMMEDIATLY run around and ride again!

You know what Silver Bullet is? It's like the pefect "rental" using movies as an analogy...it's not a movie you want to buy and have in your DVD collection, but you don't mind renting it every once in a while.

--Robb

lol That is probably one of the most and least appropriate comparisons I have ever seen. Honestly it does kinda make sense but seriously logic just kinda says wtf.

I gotta say though that doesn't exactly make me thrilled about the future for B&M. If they keep making these acrobatic but unthrilling rides why will people ride them? I mean seriously OMG it turns through 4 dimensions but so what if you can't feel it?

I really doubt its B&M to blame. Obviously some intense B&M's exist, so we know they are capable. But it seems like lately alot of the parks installing them are not intending for them to be intense rides. They are trying to appeal to all of the masses, not just the enthusiasts.