TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: The Bamboozle Roadshow to hit Six Flags parks

IMO, the major problem here is that the officers used mace. I'm about the same age group as the victims, and I'd say a whack with a nightstick is better. That might be because bruises are second nature to me, but I never, ever, ever want to experience mace. Ever!

Also, it was a dumb idea to invite the crowd on stage. Start a circle pit or something; at least those can be controlled!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all of you are taking this WAYYYY out of proportion. Robb, they maced kids that weren't doing anything to provoke it, necessary? DEFINITELY NOT. So what did All Time Low do? SPEAK OUT AGAINST IT. So honestly, take a long look at the scenario, Six Flags f***** up for doing that so All Time Low had something to say about it, yet again to please their crowd and sure protect them, what's funny about that? Being maced for no reason is something to just shrug off? I just told my mom about it, who isn't a professional in either area (btw no one needs to be a "professional" or "have experience" to have an opinion or even knowledge of things these days, it's called common sense and a passion for something), and she thought what was done was ridiculous.

I was on a committee for my college's spring show this year, we looked at past video performances of the bands we were bringing in to be aware of things they did, things we would need to prepare for, etc, if SF had maybe done this, they would have known. None of us work there or were at this precise event, so none of us will know for sure. To put the blame ENTIRELY on one side is outrageous because both did something wrong in this situation, if SF brought in bands like Korn or Slipknot or Suicide Silence, then it would be a different story, but All Time Low? Are you kidding me? That's where I find SF in the wrong and of course ATL for calling THAT MANY people up was where they were wrong, they could have regulated it a little bit more, but that's what happened, regardless, that kind of action against those fans wasn't appropriate, that's my opinion.

all of you are taking this WAYYYY out of proportion. Robb, they maced kids that weren't doing anything to provoke it, necessary? DEFINITELY NOT. So what did All Time Low do? SPEAK OUT AGAINST IT. So honestly, take a long look at the scenario, Six Flags f***** up for doing that so All Time Low had something to say about it, yet again to please their crowd and sure protect them, what's funny about that? Being maced for no reason is something to just shrug off? I just told my mom about it, who isn't a professional in either area (btw no one needs to be a "professional" or "have experience" to have an opinion or even knowledge of things these days, it's called common sense and a passion for something), and she thought what was done was ridiculous.

I was on a committee for my college's spring show this year, we looked at past video performances of the bands we were bringing in to be aware of things they did, things we would need to prepare for, etc, if SF had maybe done this, they would have known. None of us work there or were at this precise event, so none of us will know for sure. To put the blame ENTIRELY on one side is outrageous because both did something wrong in this situation, if SF brought in bands like Korn or Slipknot or Suicide Silence, then it would be a different story, but All Time Low? Are you kidding me? That's where I find SF in the wrong and of course ATL for calling THAT MANY people up was where they were wrong, they could have regulated it a little bit more, but that's what happened, regardless, that kind of action against those fans wasn't appropriate, that's my opinion.

It all boils down to the band inviting people on the stage. Obviously the park didn't know the band was going to do that. I'm sure Security didn't just go up there and start macing people. If they were trying to get people off stage and they weren't moving off stage....hell yeh they deserve to be maced.

If you were somewhere you weren't supposed to be and I asked to to leave and you wouldn't budge......yup....I'd mace your @$$ too.

so rushing the stage and having fun calls for that severe of an action? I'm failing to see how you can think that it was necessary, it's called if they don't get off the stage and you have to call for something like that to be done then obviously they didn't have security or bouncers big or strong enough to move them off themselves. Look at all other tours, they have em and have no issues whatsoever.

^^

It's called LIABILITY, dude!

If security would have just let that happen and any one of those teens or even a band member would have been hurt the park could be held liable. It's called trying to avoid a MAJOR lawsuit if something may have happened.

How do you think Six Flags would look if they were taken to court and the argument was

"Security was there and watched the whole thing happen and did nothing to try and stop it. Now this poor little high school girl will never have the chance to become prom queen because her face was trampled when she fell to the floor and everyone else stepped on her. We're also seeking pain and suffering compensation because she's so depressed that she's not as pretty as she used to be so she's never going to get a date again or even get laid again even if she wears a paper bag over her face."

Ok.....so I went a little overboard with that last remark but still.......

Believe me....lawyers would have a FIELD DAY with that!

Edited by ArizonaGuy

^ the video didn't show him saying it, the video is showing them going up, the beginning of the topic explains that the band told them to, I've never seen fans rush the stage if they weren't told to lol.

I didn't say "let it happen", they could have controlled the situation way better, I'm not saying they shouldn't have done anything at all (that'd just be retarded ), I just think jumping to pepper spray was a bit harsh, I mean that stuff is used on criminals not kids at a rock show

I didn't say "let it happen", they could have controlled the situation way better, I'm not saying they shouldn't have done anything at all (that'd just be retarded ), I just think jumping to pepper spray was a bit harsh, I mean that stuff is used on criminals not kids at a rock show

I'm sure they just didn't go crazy with the pepper spray. If they were trying to get people to move off the stage and they weren't moving.....then that's why they got sprayed.

15 people? I don't know that's still 15 too many in my opinion in order to get them off the stage, if they went to Alex Gasgarth (ATL singer) to say stop playing and get these kids off I'm sure it would have been done, notice the band stopped after the mace was used?? Clearly no one went to them to stop, so they just did that? Honestly this has gone on for too long, that's what I think, didn't want it to explode into something I was just sharing my opinion but I guess opinions get blown up here all the time

15 people? I don't know that's still 15 too many in my opinion in order to get them off the stage, if they went to Alex Gasgarth (ATL singer) to say stop playing and get these kids off I'm sure it would have been done, notice the band stopped after the mace was used?? Clearly no one went to them to stop, so they just did that? Honestly this has gone on for too long, that's what I think, didn't want it to explode into something I was just sharing my opinion but I guess opinions get blown up here all the time

You say Tomato, I say vodka.

I was just sharing my opinion but I guess opinions get blown up here all the time

coaterbilly, I am giving you one warning right now to stop making up facts and posting in this thread like you are the end-all be all of information about this incident.

And I just want to go on record so that everyone here knows...

When TPR has to warn or ban someone for posting their opinions, it's not because they have an opinion, it's because of HOW THEY PRESENTED their opinion.

There is a right and a wrong way to do it.

The right way will generate pages of great discussion between members.

The wrong way will generate warnings and forums bans.

Please try to present your opinions the "right" way.

--Robb "Be a Doright! Not a Dofus!" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

notice the band stopped after the mace was used?? Clearly no one went to them to stop, so they just did that?

They stopped because the show was over, and they left the stage. The crowd took it upon themselves to storm the stage at the end of the show, from what I can gather, and then they didn't leave the stage. Not necessarily saying SF was in the right, but the crowd clearly was to blame as well.

As someone who has been to hundreds of shows of all sorts of musical genres, plus as someone that has worked shows, worked with promoters, worked with bands, video taped shows, and even played live shows (just some of the stuff I've done that's music related), I have to comment on some things here.

Whoever said this was a huge liability issue is 100% correct. If one of those kids had gotten seriously injured in this situation, the lawsuit would have been filed the next day. And there's also performer security to think about. Anyone else remember the guy that jumped up on stage and shot Dimebag Darrell? How is security to know that there was some crazy nut in the crowd that might try to do some harm to the band or someone else? They have to take their job seriously.

Now, we have no idea what Six Flags knew/did not know before the show, or what the band did/did not disclose about their performance, so there is no way to place blame there. Both sides should be in communication about what is going to happen and what can/cannot happen during the performance. But the band is a billion times wrong for their reaction. Saying "FU" to someone hosting your show is just dumb. Pissing off concert promoters is a quick way to make sure you end up playing at your local church parking lot carnival. For free. And before the Pig & Sheep Talent Show starts. Totally unprofessional on their part.

And let me address the people that jumped up on the stage. When security tells you to move, YOU MOVE. I know it's all cool to be against authority or whatever, but their job is to make sure that people do not get hurt or the situation gets out of hand. Had they vacated the stage (or never run up there in the first place), likely no mace would have been used. Of course, I was not there, so I really don't know how the situation developed, but having watched many, many security staff people handle situations like this over the years, mace or some sort of force is not usually the first thing they go for. Supposedly an off-duty cop was part of security (and this is a normal thing in a lot of places), so maybe he overreacted. Or maybe his training told him that this situation was deteriorating quickly, and this was the best option to disperse the crowd before someone got seriously injured. There is no way to know this. But anyone that's ever been to a show knows that the only people that should ever be on the stage are the performers and related event staff. Our culture of social networking and American Karaoke, err, I mean Idol, have convinced many people that they are "important" and they need to be the center of attention and they're not responsible for anything they ever do. Which is just wrong.

And as far as this being "normal" at shows, I have to disagree. Yes, perhaps at punk shows that are usually played in places that resemble someone's basement or some sort of storage place (and I've seen plenty of shows in these types of settings), where often there is no stage to speak of, things like this do happen. But you'd be hard pressed to find any sort of normal venue these days that would not take a very dim view of any audience member rushing the stage or similar behavior. I really doubt the insane mosh pits I saw at Slayer or Suicidal Tendencies shows many years ago would be tolerated now. Outdoor festivals seem to allow more of this behavior, likely because they're harder to police. I will admit I've never worked/played an outdoor show (other than private parties), so I'm just going off my other experiences here. But because of our legal system, and past incidents, things do seem to be a lot more controlled than they used to be.

Bottom line, without actually having been present for any meetings between bands, managers and event staff, without reading the contracts, without actually having been on that stage, it's tough to assign blame. But the band mouthing off at SF can certainly be laid at their feet. I would suspect that some sort of barrier will be present to prevent this sort of thing from happening again at a concert at the park.

Let's remember in the end that no one was seriously injured. This could have been a lot worse than it was.

dt

Honestly, as a teenager personally, they deserved it. If you're gonna let all those rambunctious young hooligans ( ) go nuts there has to be a limit. You can't just let them be up there attacking for something stupid like a hat. I didn't like All Time Low before now and I really don't like them now, especially for their comments in reaction to something that they caused. Grow a pair.

I almost want to say that both parties are equally as guilty. Perhaps this situation could have been pre-arranged prior to their show, notifying both the police and Six Flags that they may invite a select few fans up on stage...and keep it controlled. But this was a spur of the moment from what I'm understanding. Communication goes a long way. On the other hand, maybe the crowd control could have been handled a bit better. Easiest thing could have been cutting the power, and verbally tell the audience to leave the stage or consequences will happen, as someone stated earlier.

A little off topic, one of my friends was involved with one of these excessive force crowd control situations during a protest back in March. Protesting (verbally protesting, no rioting or any of that) students were beaten, had pepper-filled paintballs shot at them, and pepper sprayed. Again, controlling the protest could have been handled better.

So yea...communication goes a long way...if something was arranged ahead of time, maybe security could monitored and control the crowd.

Lastly, the calling out Six Flags was pretty immature in my opinion. Yes, the situation could have been better, maybe the band could have expressed their thoughts without the F-U. I'm sure the band will no longer be welcome at any of their parks.

^Reading the captions on that video, then those people are only asking for it. They see security stopping them...security is doing it for a reason...and people still try anyway, with the mentality that "Security won't stop me...they're weak." Seeing that they are trying to be rebellious, they deserve every bit of disciplinary action taken to stop them. And for a band to promote the teen's rebelious actions? Wow...

Watching that video security was totally in the right. I don't see how anyone can even argue against it, unless you're an obnoxious kid yourself.

It was SO CLEAR that security was trying to keep people off the stage. That should have communicated to the crowd "dont' go on the stage."

The crowd rushed the stage to the point where they were on top of the equipment.

Security had to get the situation under control.

I actually would commend the security in this situation that they were able to control the situation and no one was seriously hurt.

I don't care if this is "the norm" - that doesn't matter, nor do I care, nor do I believe that it is the norm. Security had EVERY RIGHT to deal with the situation if they felt it was getting out of control. And even in that video, from the kids who rushed the stage, they say "It was insane."

From what I see in this video, the band and the crowd are totally in the wrong. I wouldn't place ANY blame on Six Flags or the security in this situation. It's so clear to me. I don't see how anyone could even think differently. I would question that persons judgement as well.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey