TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: WhiteWater West pioneers translucent slide technology

http://www.amusementtoday.com/

WhiteWater West Industries Ltd., has announced the expansion of its line of patent-pending SilkTek translucent fiberglass components found on its AquaTube and Poolsider waterslides. WhiteWater is the only global manufacturer to offer its customers this exclusive technology, which combines the unique benefits of enhanced visual impact and a more entertaining spectator experience.

Available in an array of colors, the translucent components elevate the visual appeal of waterslides, while maintaining the highest level of safety or durability. “Before translucent technology, enclosed waterslides were dark, almost industrial looking” said WhiteWater West CEO Geoff Chutter. “See-through fiberglass lets in more light and creates beautiful prismatic effects, while also putting on a great show for both people waiting in line and spectators. Watching someone sliding through the AquaLoop – the world’s first looping water slide – builds tremendous anticipation and excitement.”

The see-through fiberglass technology is the result of more than ten years of in-house research and development. WhiteWater’s expertise in close-molded LRTM (Light Resin Transfer Molding) manufacturing is unsurpassed in the industry, and is the key differentiator in the SilkTek technology. Unlike traditional fiberglass molding, LRTM is a precision engineered process. It allows for greater control over laying the fiberglass and injecting the resin, offering a better strength-to-thickness ratio, a smooth finish on both sides, and greater transparency in the finished product. “This process is extremely complicated, with a significant learning curve. We’ve invested hundreds of thousands of dollars with the goal of developing a truly unique product for our customers, one that adds a whole new level of value and entertainment creating the ultimate waterslide,” added Chutter.

WhiteWater’s translucent fiberglass is now available in blue, red, green, dark green, orange and yellow.

WhitwaterTrans02.gif.db70c0539bec3eb140f0e98f7d095d85.gif

WhitwaterTrans01.gif.4bcfb97d393ad68269477facfdd3d4eb.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those are pretty.

At Enchanted Forest up in Old Forge, there are two slides called "The Shadow", named because you can see the silhouette of the people going down them. But these are definitely more clear. I always thought actual clear slides would be neat, more from a rider's perspective, but someone brought up how dirty they'd get.

These look nice.

This is fantastic and will look great.

However, Whitewater West/Proslide/Etc still have a design flaw that irks my anal-retentive/semi-ocd sensibilites no matter which waterpark I am at: Why can't the seams ever line up for the entire slide? It's bad enough when it's a "hodge-podge" but the worst is when they line up for the majority of the slide except for one or two stray pieces. Is it just me here?

lineup.gif.0875517ff7582bb82c5fb470b5f27f68.gif

^ The slide segments are probably formed as 2d arcs rather than actual 3-dimensional space curves like a piece of coaster track, so the bolted connections have to be misaligned whenever the slope of the slide changes on a curved piece.

Those are quite nice. Great for indoor waterparks, would make the interior area seem more open. When they are outside, if a few in different colors were snaking around each other, would be quite striking in bright sunlight.

Yeah I get that, but you can't tell me that the computer program in the manufacturing plant couldn't account for that and mold the seam points to line up anyway.

I think you should apply for a job there and change the way they have been doing things for years...

Jarvis "can care less if every thread and hairline lines up as long as the slide is safe and sturdy..." Morant

Yeah I get that, but you can't tell me that the computer program in the manufacturing plant couldn't account for that and mold the seam points to line up anyway.

Still. This way the pieces can be made completely flat, and pieced together.

Curving it simply or aesthetic reasons would complicate it, make it more expensive, and make no sense whatsoever.

Not to mention a straight arch is a more structurally sound shape than a curved one. Not that I know if that really has anything to do with it.

Anyhow, where is that Aqualoop built? That's not the one in Germany, I can tell by the slide tower. Is there already a new aqualoop up somewhere?

However, Whitewater West/Proslide/Etc still have a design flaw that irks my anal-retentive/semi-ocd sensibilites no matter which waterpark I am at: Why can't the seams ever line up for the entire slide? It's bad enough when it's a "hodge-podge" but the worst is when they line up for the majority of the slide except for one or two stray pieces. Is it just me here?

Could they do it purposely for integrity reasons? Rather than each piece having the same type of connection, it's mixed up to prevent specific wear. Could be totally wrong, it just seems logical.

Perhaps Montezuma (Shane) could answer the reason for this. After all, he did just open his own Water Park, Cowabunga Bay, last Summer.

- Sid

Computers have little do do with fabrication (Though obviously they are used in the design stage). Slide manufacturers have a catalogue of a few slide segments types. The manufacturer has moulds for each segment type at their plant that get reused each time a park orders a slide. Its not like a coaster manufacturer who has to design and fabricate unique sections from scratch.

So the design of the slide is based around combining the segments in a modular manner, based on the limitations of the catalogue.

The plus side to all this is that you don't need too many segment types, just a few different curve radiuses, and straight sections of various lengths, plus the special ones like starting tubs and runout troughs ...Very RCTish almost.

Because many of the segments are identical, it makes transportation easier since they stack together nicely.

This small selection of segment types can be quite versatile, for example if the seam is at the side it makes a curve, if the seam is at the top it makes a drop.

The positioning of the seam shouldn't have any impact on comfort issues. For starters the seams that run along the segment are parallel with the direction of travel so you don't feel it...The main concern is the seams between segments, since they are crossways and you run right over them. If its a good slide manufacturer these are filled smoothly, so you don't feel them and water leaks are minimal.

Other times....errm, not so great. I recently rode one of Whitewater West's toilet bowl slides, and the word cheese grater came to mind when I was riding it, ouch!

As for the topic itself. I'll be interested to see how these translucent slides look in real life. Already there are some slides that are translucent and you can see the silhouette of people riding down, but it would be cool if they can get a bit more see through, so it would be like looking through a piece of coloured cellophane.

seams2.JPG.6ed620b12fb81188bd5460094fc57558.JPG

Identical modular sections make for easy transportation.

seam1.JPG.80524e08c2f63bc9f27ba850f6ce92c3.JPG

The same segment can be used vertically to make a drop (red arrow) or horizontally to make a turn (green arrow)