TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...

FYI, it appears that within the last couple of weeks, Luna Park has very quietly dropped the gated admission policy and has returned to their traditional pay-per-ride policy (along with a 4-hour wristband option which, at least online, is cheaper than it was this summer). 
Also, the Cyclone is running excellently! It was running faster than I ever remember it. I was in the front seat of the middle car and still got plentiful airtime. 

• 3 weeks later...

After being delayed for two years, Luna Park is following through on some previously announced plans.

https://abc7ny.com/luna-park-coney-island-amusement-sky-chaser/11084826/

Coney Island's Luna Park breaks ground on new rides, roller coaster, pedestrian plaza

Tuesday, October 5, 2021 

CONEY ISLAND, Brooklyn (WABC) -- Coney Island's famed Luna Park broke ground Tuesday on expansion plans for new attractions and pedestrian plazas set to open for the 2022 season.

The expansion includes a new ropes course, appropriately named the Sky Chaser, along with the Super Flume and the J2SK Coaster, a log flume intertwined with an exhilarating roller coaster creating a brand new unique experience for guests.

In addition to the three new attractions, Luna Park is transforming three streets in landscaped pedestrian plazas between Wonder Wheel Way and the Coney Island Boardwalk.

The new rides will be located in a long abandoned lot nestled between the minor League stadium and Luna Park, and the foundation is already in with the tracks on site.

The city owns the land and leased it to Central Amusement International, which runs Luna park.

"Luna Park will unveil two custom made Zamperla rides," Central Amusement International President Alessandro Zamperla said. "A roller coaster, the J2SK Coaster, and the Super Flume ride."

The plans had been in place but were delayed by the pandemic.

"For the entire year, there was no Luna Park, and there really was no Coney Island," NYC Parks Assistant Commissioner David Cerron said. "And I think that that makes this moment so much more meaningful and exciting."

And while the Luna Park reopened this past summer, crowds weren't what they usually are, and businesses struggled. The new attractions could help.

"It's probably going to bring a lot of people to Luna Park, for things to do for the kids and stuff like that, but it should be interesting," Ruby's Bar manager David McBarnett said. "I don't do roller coasters, but it should be cool."

In addition to the attractions, there will be three newly upgraded pedestrian areas with kiosks and carnival booths. But the plans for those also changed because of the pandemic.

"Instead of having all the containers, all the kiosks, one attached to the other, we actually created some space between them," Zamperla said. "COVID informed us a lot when it comes to construction, safety, and we did change some of the plans."

The plazas will be an open-air entertainment destination with food, games and retail locations, adorned with shaded seating and greenery.

Named after an iconic piece of Coney Island's history, Luna Park is the largest amusement park in New York City and the Big Apple's most famous playground -- with a heritage that stretches back more than 130 years.

Luna Park lights up the famous Coney Island skyline with its timeless charm, historic landmarks, and exciting novelties.

Adjacent to the nearly three miles of sandy beaches, two and a half miles of boardwalk, and other top attractions, Luna Park -- which employs more than 1,200 people -- offers more than 50 games, rides and roller coasters.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey everyone! I went to Six Flags Great Adventure yesterday, and on the way home I went to Coney Island on whim to check out the progress on the new rides. Also, I snagged credits for Phoenix & SkyFlyer at Deno's.

The roller coaster (Tony's Express) is mostly done and the log flume (Leti's Treasure) still needs plenty of work. The pieces that still need to be installed are sitting right next to it, next to a bunch of construction equipment. 

Here are some photos I took:

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

• Like 4

• 11 months later...

Got to experience Luna Park at Coney Island on opening day with the family (on our way to Sweeney Todd -- Broadway perfection). Two of us had been before and the other three hate NYC, so I had low expectations. I'm very glad to say we had a great day and the "other three" in the family really enjoyed the whole Coney Island area. [Quick note: from Connecticut/northeast, there is no good way to get there. We ended up driving in and I'm happy to say there is a lot of parking around Coney Island. The subway from the Times Square area to Coney is about an hour each way.]

I did not get many pictures because I'm not a "trip reporter," though I avidly read them all. The new entrance plazas towards Tony's Express/Leti's Treasure are still under construction. Clockworkz and Zenobio were dismantled for maintenance (I would assume). Crowds were non-existent probably due to weather. We paid $65 for our 4-hour wristbands a couple days ahead online. At the gate they were selling for $75. I didn't look at individual rides/tickets.

Cyclone is nearly 100 years old!

652320897_cyclonefront.thumb.jpg.90946a49d80e006367d548b4c48c0174.jpg

On our way to the new area, we passed the mermaid painting ...mermaid.thumb.jpg.862157c05317f403d9c6482df548bdfc.jpg

... who is wearing a Fremeni stillsuit? (nerd joke)

1217998787_mermaidnose.thumb.jpg.e9b94792a9626854d9e2f5a6de37f2f0.jpg

So Tony's Express and Leti's Treasure share a large station structure. We saw maybe two people ride the flume -- we did not, because it was barely 50 degrees.

1225965067_sharedstations.thumb.jpg.70b58b528aff101530b5433174b3bf04.jpg

The boats were coming back very wet ...

309746928_letissplash.thumb.jpg.0037fd367ad807a73ecc99a85e704c19.jpg

We did ride Tony's Express twice, and I'd say it's a great kiddie/family coaster with a really nice helix finale over the flume:

497842951_letislift.thumb.jpg.78b574fd8c299e055d3e714481f359f1.jpg

I got permission to walk to the front of the station (and I have to say, overall the employees at Luna Park, at least today, were really friendly!)

639626807_tonyscar.thumb.jpg.e78a2f36ae54eb25863e60ae6155ec44.jpg

The Leti's boats are also nicely done:

1237593861_letisboat.thumb.jpg.a4efeab9ea1f0fd06adc9f0725192085.jpg

As you exit Tony's you walk right by the double down drop on Leti's

1671002322_letisdrop.thumb.jpg.fd696b9f0e56fb77b5bdcf5a19676b68.jpg

Oh, and we rode Thunderbolt once, it was having periodic maintenance issues during the day. No pictures, but 1) it doesn't suck as bad as I'd heard, and 2) the splash from the final drop on Leti's actually reaches into the station for the Thunderbolt. And one more thing: Soarin' Eagle was enjoyable! Rode it once before, hated it. Twice on this trip and actually thought it was fun. No idea why.

Final picture is my wife enjoying the launch on Steeplechase (posted because I love the coaster cars and to show the launch is actually a bit more than expected!)

steeplechase.thumb.jpg.e0b87154f60174f60e2f9c2822960dae.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Was out at Coney Island this weekend for my second visit of the year; first visit got unceremoniously rained out on a day when the forecast straight up lied to us, c'est la vie. This past Saturday was the opposite; called for rain, but we managed to sidestep it the entire day. It was hot, humid, and sunny the entire time we were there.

Stopped in at the B&B Carrousel to give it some love as our first ride of the day. Although it runs on the slow side, the love and detail put into this treasure of a merry-go-round is worth a ride every time we swing by.

My wife made the Cyclone her 150th credit, and it was running absolutely perfect this year!. Best ride I've ever had on that old thing. For someone who famously doesn't like coasters, she actually enjoyed herself! I razzed her mercilessly for growing up like 10 miles from it and never riding it until now, but honestly, I'm super proud of her. Additionally, the Cyclone was  also my daughter's first 54" coaster! She gettin' BEEEG. Shout out to the Cyclone ride ops for talking them both through it before dispatching and putting them at ease, you guys rule.

We also checked out the pair of new rides that finally opened further down the boardwalk, Tony's Express and Leti's Adventure. Tony's Express is a cool little family coaster, but it's unfortunate that they're charging 10 credits per ride. That's the same price as the Cyclone and the Thunderbolt, and honestly, it's closer in length, thrill, and intensity to their kiddie Circus Coaster. I'd ride it again with a wristband, but definitely not at $10 a pop.

On the other hand, Leti's Adventure is a straight upgrade over their old flume ride, and on a sweltering summer Saturday like it was, I'd have paid $20. It gives a long ride, about five minutes from boarding to returning, has some nice under-the-structure moments, and the two drops get you absolutely soaked. This one was definitely worth the 10 credits and it's totally a must-do on any visit where it's a hot day.

The heat was getting to us pretty quickly, so after stopping by Deno's and doing a quick round of Stop The Zombies, we decided to bounce for the cooler pastures of an air-conditioned Dave & Buster's a little further up the Belt Parkway. Hopefully we'll be back again in the near future. I miss being a train ride away from Coney Island, but am thankful that we live close enough to still make regular visits.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...