TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Green Hornet (NL)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Err, I thought two of us told you that the ride's over supported before. Why didn't you listen to us. Also, you stole both the top hat and the over bank turn of other rides (and don't say you didn't, because you can easily tell) and stealing elements isn't cool. What was your work was, if I'm honest, rubbish.

We want to see rides YOU made, not a bunch of elements other people have made stitched badly together. Your not going to improve if you continue doing this.

Hmm I'm pretty sure this *almost* counts as spam...

Once again, a collection of pasted-together and more importantly STOLEN elements don't count as a coaster that you made. Did you think no-one would notice, especially with the sudden transition into the AHG'd track?

Seriously, don't post any more until ALL of the track is yours, station to station.

Hmm I'm pretty sure this *almost* counts as spam...

Once again, a collection of pasted-together and more importantly STOLEN elements don't count as a coaster that you made. Did you think no-one would notice, especially with the sudden transition into the AHG'd track?

Seriously, don't post any more until ALL of the track is yours, station to station.

I used the pre-fab tophat & only one element from another coaster,the OBT. For cripe sake it's hard enough doing the free-hand work as it is.

Did you even ride this before uploading it? Wow.

Yeah, everyone's coasters suck at first...but some of those transitions look like they had zero effort and test riding put in to them, and what's the excuse for the 10g lateral unbanked turn at the end?

I also am amused by the over-supporting of everything except the top hat, which is horrifically undersupported.

In your defense, I am going to go against the grain here and say that using pre-fabbed elements is not the end of the world. Real coaster designers do the same thing, and then tweak them to fit the current application. There are only so many ways to make a loop/zero-G/cobra/top hat/etc etc.

Below is the first coaster I felt was good enough to post about. It has a lot of pre-fabbed elements, and a minimal amount of pre-fabbed supports, but you'll notice that I took the time to make the transitions as smooth as possible.

Turbulance v1.0 (Arrow Compact).nltrack

I'll be honest here; it wasn't good. I have to agree with the majority and say that pre-fab elements are kind of a no-no when it comes to posting a track to pass off as your own. If you didn't make the track then it isn't your coaster in my eyes. I would possibly excuse you a bit more if the elements were from the game but the fact you got them from other people's tracks without permission is unforgivable.

For cripe sake it's hard enough doing the free-hand work as it is.

Yes, it's tricky, but in time you learn. Everyone else gets on fine with free-hand work, and so will you if you actually try. Your first coaster will not be the best but in time you will become more skilled. My tip is to at least TRY to build free-hand and get it as good as you can. Spend weeks even moths on it to make it perfect. That's what most people do. No Limits is not a few hour thing like RCT3. It takes time. Build free-hand and you will certainly get better.

Personally I think you should take a couple of steps back and build a nice out and back coaster, so then you can work on shaping the hills right and then maybe move on to a twisted layout to practise your shaping on curves. But really for the first few rides having inversons is a no no unless you are really good and can shape them perfectly. You can have prefab but free handing them shows your skills you have delveloped plus you won't get ripped to pieces by the nolimits monsters.

Personally I think you should take a couple of steps back and build a nice out and back coaster

I think this is one of the best words of advice. One problem you have is that you're building rides that are way too advanced for beginners of No Limits.

I used the pre-fab tophat & only one element from another coaster,the OBT. For cripe sake it's hard enough doing the free-hand work as it is.

As for pre-fab elements, I understand using elements that come with the game, but ripping them out of somebody else's ride is terrible. I mean, you "only" stole one element (not counting the pre-fab top hat)? That's about 10% or more of your ride. That's like if I wrote a 10 page report for school and I plagiarized "only" one page of the report, I'm sure my teacher wouldn't let it slide, and that's putting it mildly.

Plus, as was stated, the ride was horribly over supported, except for the top hat which most likely would have collapsed from the stress put on it. You had brakes right after the top hat, which defeated the point of having the launch that fast and the top hat that tall. As for the parts you actually made, well, see the g force meter at the top? When the g's shoot up to 10 and are red, that's not a good thing, unless you're literally building a death machine.

To summarize:

1) Don't steal work

2) Start smaller

3) Pay attention to the g forces

4) Don't kill people on your ride

5) Take more time to smooth out the ride. Good rides take many days/weeks to get right.

Did you even ride this before uploading it? Wow.

Yeah, everyone's coasters suck at first...but some of those transitions look like they had zero effort and test riding put in to them, and what's the excuse for the 10g lateral unbanked turn at the end?

I also am amused by the over-supporting of everything except the top hat, which is horrifically undersupported.

In your defense, I am going to go against the grain here and say that using pre-fabbed elements is not the end of the world. Real coaster designers do the same thing, and then tweak them to fit the current application. There are only so many ways to make a loop/zero-G/cobra/top hat/etc etc.

Below is the first coaster I felt was good enough to post about. It has a lot of pre-fabbed elements, and a minimal amount of pre-fabbed supports, but you'll notice that I took the time to make the transitions as smooth as possible.

I did do a lot of extensive testing & even modified the turn into the station because the brakerun was too short to bring the train to a full stop to avoid a crash....I was going to use the pre-fab A-frame supports & add to them but they ended up overlapping so I went with the supports that are in the finished design for the tophat.

Finally I DID attempt to use continuous roll when I felt it was needed but doing turns isn't easy...the camelbacks aren't pre-fabs they're done by hand & compared to my earlier coasters I think it turned out pretty good despite the G spikes in some areas.

+infinity to suggestions to make small out-and-back coasters. (In this program) Intamins are one of the toughest coaster types to make smooth (except may B&M Inverts). Start

I did do a lot of extensive testing & even modified the turn into the station because the brakerun was too short to bring the train to a full stop to avoid a crash....

Did the idea ever occur to put in a brake run (even if not a block section) BEFORE the turn towards the station? That would eliminate the death turn I highlighted below, even if you didn't want to try banking it.

Finally I DID attempt to use continuous roll when I felt it was needed but doing turns isn't easy...the camelbacks aren't pre-fabs they're done by hand & compared to my earlier coasters I think it turned out pretty good despite the G spikes in some areas.

Everyone here is trying to help you; don't be so defensive. Seriously look at the pictures from your ride I highlighted below and try to help me understand how you thought either of these were acceptable or "pretty good because it's better than your past stuff."

I'm not trying to be a prick, but you are not seeming very accepting of much-deserved criticism.

Mods: Sorry about the size, but at 800x600 high-res users wouldn't be able to read the G readout.

the_green_hornet_367-090814034937000.thumb.jpg.5263ebefc5395280ca3704d001316eb1.jpg

the_green_hornet_367-090814035034001.thumb.jpg.e2d5cc2e9082166739c5fb6e98225eb4.jpg

^I tried fixing that odd twist in the area where the OBT connects but because it had been AHG'd beforehand I couldn't get past that so that was the end result.

If only there was a way of building backwards & then forwards from the station(similar to RCT2) it would make designing the final brakeruns much easier but currently there's no way(that I know of at least) that this can be done.

There is. The button I circled below adds a new track node prior to the one indicated as the "First" node by the purple cone.

Untitled.jpg.0f2142a1b1603e3eab349fad542df5ed.jpg

Everyone here is trying to help you; don't be so defensive. Seriously look at the pictures from your ride I highlighted below and try to help me understand how you thought either of these were acceptable or "pretty good because it's better than your past stuff."

I'm not trying to be a prick, but you are not seeming very accepting of much-deserved criticism.

I'm not seeing where he's being defensive. He honestly thought it was good in his eyes.

Saying you're not trying to be a prick, comes off as "prickish."

I'm not seeing where he's being defensive. He honestly thought it was good in his eyes.

Saying you're not trying to be a prick, comes off as "prickish."

Thanks,I've seen plenty of that sort of nonsensical behavior on other boards with regards to people criticizing the work of others when it's only a computer game.

I suppose if I uploaded my RCT2 park I'd get blamed for using too many of the pre-built coasters & not enough custom layouts.

Well, both sides have points. Hes new and venturing into the world of NoLimits is a steep learning curve. You have to pick up how G Forces work and how to manipulate them safely and correctly. You need to learn the program and how to manipulate it to do what you want it too do. Its all a very steep learning curve. I remember thinking Id never get the hang of it when I started.

But hang in there, take what people say, try to ignore the nasty stuff and know that the vast majority just want to see you improve and build better stuff.

Well, both sides have points. Hes new and venturing into the world of NoLimits is a steep learning curve. You have to pick up how G Forces work and how to manipulate them safely and correctly. You need to learn the program and how to manipulate it to do what you want it too do. Its all a very steep learning curve. I remember thinking Id never get the hang of it when I started.

But hang in there, take what people say, try to ignore the nasty stuff and know that the vast majority just want to see you improve and build better stuff.

Perhaps I'll start work on a new version of the ride & replace some of the elements in the original with something different?