TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Elitch Gardens and Island Kingdom (Lots of Pics)

My family and I just recently moved to the Denver area, so Elitch is our new home park. It a nice midsize park with a great downtown location. The coaster collection is not that great, but the park's overall atmosphere is well done. The day I took the pics it was cloudy, rainy and to cool for Disaster Canyon or the water park to be open. I hope you enjoy.

Pretty good show.

Best coaster in the park in my opinion.

The water park looks really nice.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Sunday or Monday to me. Saturday was a bit dryer most of the day. (It was definitely Memorial Day weekend because of the waterpark)

BTW Disaster Canyon looks like it isn't ready to run yet... Kinda depressing when Rainbow, Chaos, Thunderbolt and Disaster Canyon haven't run this season yet. Bah! Still they had 2 train ops running pretty well this weekend but is it just me or is Mind Eraser even worse than ever before? I swear the blue train is incredibly painful now.

Still I hit Lakeside this weekend as well and they don't have Cyclone up so don't go yet... That was a serious drag.

I was just wondering cause I worked this last weekend! I think I would have to place my bet on monday because it dumped on sunday there.

It is depressing that that many rides are closed, but chaos and disaster transport should be opening up soon (DT might already be open but I am not completely sure).

And I would second that the blue train at minderaser is a bear, definitely not so smooth anymore (was it ever?).

The park looks like it has improved a lot since the last time I was there 10 years ago. Everything looks nice and freshly painted in your pictures. When I was there in 1999 the buildings and coasters were all faded. Operations weren't so great, how are they now?

Great TR, not too many words though

I would like to think that operations are a lot better, but I would submit a bias idea I think. Trains stack occasionally on Twister and Minderaser, and Half Pipe has its issues but besides that I feel like we do the best we can. There is always room for improvement though. I'd like to hear other peoples opinions as well.

^Haha, that movie was just on TV the other day! Don't blow up the Sidewinder!

^^When I was there Mind Eraser and Sidewinder were the rides with bad operations. Is Flying Coaster still standing? I wonder what will happen to that coaster.

^ and ^^ I have never seen that movie, or heard of it for that matter, what is it about?

^Yes it is still standing, I will take a picture tomorrow if I remember. But notice on the park map that he posted it is completely omitted from the map (a little beneath and to the right of the sidewinder loading dock is where it stands presently). Parc Management is trying to sell the ride, but a prototype Zamperla flyer comes with a label. I am glad to hear that it (bad operations) is on that side of the park, exactly where I don't work!

^ and ^^ I have never seen that movie, or heard of it for that matter, what is it about?

^Yes it is still standing, I will take a picture tomorrow if I remember. But notice on the park map that he posted it is completely omitted from the map (a little beneath and to the right of the sidewinder loading dock is where it stands presently). Parc Management is trying to sell the ride, but a prototype Zamperla flyer comes with a label. I am glad to hear that it (bad operations) is on that side of the park, exactly where I don't work!

Last I heard, they had a "new home" they were going to move it to. My guess would be Wild Waves since that's one of the former Six Flags parks purchased by Parc, and they haven't installed a new coaster in over 5 years. However just staying with nothing new at all would be better than Flying Coaster.

Those pictures really make the park appear nicer than it really is (it's because of the Colorado summer rain). Twister II and Sidewinder are really the only somewhat decent coasters there, but the waterpark is good for its size. When Disaster Canyon is open, it's my favorite ride in the park since it's a considerably good rapids ride. Tower of Doom is pretty good too. Maybe someday they will manage to get rid of Flying Coaster and build a new coaster in the park.

Sorry for the lack of comments, not real big into that, I just post the pics. I found the park to be very well landscaped with most of the buildings looking pretty fresh. I plan on adding Disaster Canyon photos soon (for all the rapids fans). I really like the location of the park with all the other attractions within walking distance (Aquarium, REI, Centennial Gardens, Pepsi Center and downtown). Hopefully they will remove the Flyer and add a Euro-fighter in that location. I think it would be a nice fit for the park. The Survivor Show is actually quite good, nice sets with a lot of audience participation.

In flying coasters place, I had something in mind from my visit to EG last year.

Although it is probably out of the question, a B&M, Intamin, or Morgan hyper station could go in flying coasters place. Where would the coaster be? Well, we were in the parking lot (right by FC) and there are a lot of concrete/tree/plant islands. Perfect place for supports. The coaster could go around the park, especially when the park really isn't big, Lol. EG really just doesn't have a star attraction, unless you count Mind Eraser. Sure, it's fun, but it's just a regular SLC

^I was thinking the exact same thing! I even drew up a little plan and was hoping to make it in NL but the footprint of the ride, and the park, is huge and spans longer than the NL screen. I don't think that they would do B&M just because of cost (don't quote me on this, I am not too familiar with coaster costs) and I really don't think they would do Intamin either. Elitches seems to love its Vekoma, and I think the new 4 abreast vekoma hyper seating would be a good option for them.

460065985_elichhyper3.jpg.2c646018c204a817f6207a8c34eafc0c.jpg

It would follow the white line, starting out by FC and going toward twister. The black line also works well for the lift line.

Personally I was holding out hope that they would remove a small portion of the parking and put in a Intamin MegaLite...

I honestly don't think Elitch Gardens would ever build a really large coaster although I would love to be proven wrong. A Euro-Fighter would be amazing for the park as would any Intamin airtime machine... Heck anything with airtime please!!!

I honestly am still a huge fan of Half Pipe but the downtime seems pretty extreme again this year... I honestly hope that they can get it running more consistently but I don't know if I have high hopes.

Here are some pictures of the Flying Coaster. The ride is sitting alone in the corner completely fenced off from any and all activity. The q looks like it is currently being used as dining services for VIP's or whatever, and other parts of the ride are being used to store signs, benches etc. There are however still two trains completely assembled in the station whereas the remaining 6 or how many ever are completely stripped sitting in the bone yard behind twister.

I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures, I snapped them running into work.

090528_142628.jpg.e78e86020770805ca34ed17d39d291c9.jpg

That was a joke, the whole loving volares thing...get it?

090528_142619.jpg.8d584801f56d85c329da31ade06d7599.jpg

Signs and stuff. I seriously love zamperlas and volares. They are the single reason I wake in the morning.

090528_142612.jpg.bf5199f6d22e8264a4ca9d89d7c336a4.jpg

The High Flying Dining center!

090528_142604.jpg.e8d28894e8b487b293e4459e17ad5927.jpg

Station with a couple trains.

God, I always think of Flying Coaster as some elaborate torture device.

Great TR, Elitch's is a really nice park and the brief visits I have had there were good.

However, I don't think Twister II is the best ride there. It kind of disappointed me in the way that there was no real air or forces. especially for a ride "based off a classic." Sidewinder though, I love the ejector air.

As for the idea of a Mega-Lite/a coaster encompassing the entire park? Awesome.

God, I always think of Flying Coaster as some elaborate torture device.

Great TR, Elitch's is a really nice park and the brief visits I have had there were good.

However, I don't think Twister II is the best ride there. It kind of disappointed me in the way that there was no real air or forces. especially for a ride "based off a classic." Sidewinder though, I love the ejector air.

As for the idea of a Mega-Lite/a coaster encompassing the entire park? Awesome.

I would be very happy with a Mega-Lite or a Euro-fighter. Hopefully next year might be a year for something big. This year was new shows and living off of Ghost Blaster that opened at the end of last season.

^It's been there for years. It's not the one from GL.

^I was thinking the exact same thing! I even drew up a little plan and was hoping to make it in NL but the footprint of the ride, and the park, is huge and spans longer than the NL screen. I don't think that they would do B&M just because of cost (don't quote me on this, I am not too familiar with coaster costs) and I really don't think they would do Intamin either. Elitches seems to love its Vekoma, and I think the new 4 abreast vekoma hyper seating would be a good option for them.

Hell, the ride doesn't even have to go around the border (even though that would be INSANE!), we just need AIRTIME!!! They can have supports in the park. Sea World San Antonio did that with Steel Eel and a little bit with Great White. Speaking of which, a Morgan hyper wouldn't be as expensive as Intamin or B&M, right? Steel Eel is a Morgan coaster, and it has more airtime than any other coaster I've been on.