TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Montu's Wonderful World of Photos .....

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know a thing about photography but I love that Tilt shift photography, I have a question about it though...why are the boarders of the pictures blurry? Is there a way to make it so it's not blurry around the borders yet still be tilt shift or is that just something that comes with making tilt shift pics. Anyways awesome pics Biker

No that's the only way tiltshift will work!

Actually, that is incorrect.

Tilt-shift lenses for the actual intended purpose are to enable large amounts of focus depth (depth of field) using large apertures. For example, being able to "tilt" the focal plane of the lens when photographing a pasture for example at f/2.8, allowing the entire field to be in focus. If you used a normal lens at the same focal length that was not-tilt shift, the focus plane would be parallel to the sensor and be shallow requiring you to stop the lens down to get a much larger depth of field.

Tilt shift is also heavily in architectural photos to eliminate distortion, to stop converging lines when they should be straight.

Tilt shift lenses main purpose is NOT to make everything look like a small model. That is just a fad people have got into, which they 99% of the time try to recreate in photoshop (poorly I might add). Tilt shift lenses can NOT be recreated in software. Simply due to how the optics work. Tilt-shift lenses are very "niche" type lenses, without people only buying them if they really require them. But are very cool optics, I must add... I actually want to rent one in the future to try out.

Many people do not understand real tilt-shift lenses... Only what they see done poorly in photoshop using filters. Not saying it looks bad or anything, but that is not the use of tilt shift lenses when used correctly. Tilt shift lenses are extremely expensive as well, generally only manual focus even when used with high end DSLR bodies. The 17mm Canon tilt-shift lens for example, costs around $2300... Not cheap for the limited use of them.

Here is a cool article review of the Canon 17mm tilt-shift. If you scroll down you will see a few examples of how the tilt-shift effects a single image. I know for those who are not really into photography may have a hard time understanding this, but it is worth a shot!

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-TS-E-17mm-f-4-L-Tilt-Shift-Lens-Review.aspx

This link has a little better visual examples possibly:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/focusing-ts.shtml

Hope this helps answer your question Gigalyte! They are a little difficult to explain, but basically in a nutshell they are highly specialized lenses that enable large amounts of the image to be in focus without requiring settings that generally would be required to get the same (or simple impossible using normal optics), as well as avoiding any distortion. Tilt-shift can only be done with SLR's, as all point-and-shoot cameras do it via software and "blurring methods" to make it look like one. But there is no way one can recreate real tilt-shift effects.

Some Sorcerer Mickey action. As you can tell I have really only been to the Disney parks lately hence all the Disney pics

I should have titled this picture the, "Im exhausted photo". Typically the only chance I get to do any sort of work with my photos is when our two babies fall asleep for the night and lately that has been around 10 every night so having to wake up at 4:30 every morning for work really leaves no time at night once the kidos do go to bed. Last night I said to heck with that since I wanted to get this pic done. I shouldn't have rushed but was tired and just ready to call it a night. Its by far perfect and you can seem a few spots I missed but all in all it came out pretty cool. If i get time this weekend I may go back and touch up.

For this picture I used two copies of the same picture. In Photoshop I applied a lens blur to the background for one of the photos and then left the other one alone since that was going to be my foreground. I then copy and pasted the background onto the foreground picture. Once done with that, using mask layers I took the paintbrush tool and erased everything around the foreground to revel what background I wanted to use, which that in itself was tedious and very time consuming and where most my flaws in this picture happened. After that was done(or so I thought lol) I flattened the image and sent it on its merry way and what you see is the outcome.

Also note that I am still very new at the whole Photoshop stuff and still learning and the easiest way for me is to actually get in there and experiment and have fun. If anyone has any input or even any ways to do what I did but in an easier technique by all means feel free to comment and let me know. Thank you = )

7265688984_e3ae110221_b.thumb.jpg.8e92adc3e7911d7968273168888ea289.jpg

• 4 months later...

^I agree with this, too. The Disney Hollywood Studios photo was so "enhanced" that I couldn't identify the place until I read the caption (and I've been there quite a few times).

• 2 years later...