TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

How many old video games do you remember???

bgwfreak

Ok, so the Smurfs thread I started got started into video games and I was thinking how many old games can you guys remember...

BTW I was a total arcade junkie back in the 80's all the way through high school (graduated in 1990). Yikes! :shock:

Let's do arcade first, then the meriad of Atari's etc is probably endless.

Pac-Man

Ms. Pac-Man (why was it Ms. anyway)

Baby Pac-Man (had a pinball machine in it didn't it)

Joust!

Donkey Kong ( I heard it was supposed to be called Monkey Kong, but they misspelled all of them!!!)

Altered Beast

Golden Axe

Dig Dug!

Tetris (what an annoying game, that's why I played it) lol

Hmmmm... That's all I can think of right now...

Alright all us old farts see what you can come up with.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, boy....let's talk about "Classic" arcade games! In a "past life" (pre-coaster enthusiast days) when I was in the hayday of my video game making career, I had a HUGE collection of classic arcade machines. In fact, as of December 1996, I had owned all of the following games at one point or another in my collecting days:

Amidar

Armor Attack

Asteroids

Astro Blaster

Baby Pac-Man

Bad Dudes

BagMan

Berzerk

Black Tiger

Blaster (Yes, Joey, it's the Trash Can Blaster!!!)

Buck Rogers and the

Planet of Zoom

Bump & Jump

Burning Fight

Carnival

Centipede

Circus Charlie

Congo Bongo

Contra

Crazy Climber

Crossed Swords

Cyber Lip

Deluxe Space Invaders

Discs of Tron

Domino Man

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Jr.

Dragon's Lair

Dynamite Dux

Elevator Action

Eyes

Frogger

Galaxian

Golden Axe

Gorf

Gunsmoke

Guzzler

Hypersports

Jack the Giant Killer

Journey

Jump Bug

Jungle King

Karnov

Kick

Kicker

Krull

Ladybug

League Bowling

Legendary Wings

Life Force

Mad Planets

Major Havoc

(The Adventures Of)

Make Trax

Mappy

Metro Cross (Part I)

Mikie

Moon Cresta

Moon Patrol

Mousetrap

Mr. Do

Ms. Pac-Man

Nam 75

Nemesis

Nibbler

Omega Race

Pac-Man

Pandora's Palace

Pengo

Phoenix

Popeye

Power Instinct

Q*bert

R-Type

Rally-X

Reactor

Robotron 2084

Roc 'N' Rope

Rolling Thunder

Rush 'N Attack

Satan's Hollow

Scramble

Shinobi

SilkWorm

Sinistar

Space Duel

Space Fury

Space Invaders

Star Castle

Star Wars

Street Smart

Stunt Cycle

Subs

Super Cobra

Super Spy

Super Street Fighter II Turbo

Super Zaxxon

Tac Scan

Tempest

Time Pilot

Top Gunner

Track and Field

Tron

Tutankham

Vanguard

Venture

Wacko

Warrior

Wizard of Wor

World Heroes

Xenophobe

Yie Ar Kung Fu

Zaxxon

Zookeeper

Zwackery

I miss collecting all those arcade games and restoring the cabinets and stuff. But hey, now I do coaster DVDs as a hobby instead!

--Robb "How many games on that list do YOU remember???" Alvey

^ WOW! Great site!!!!

Believe it or not at one point in the mid-1990s I had pretty much everyone of those damn systems!!! Videos games used to be much more than just a job for me, it was also a hobby....but at least it's still my job!

I now play all the classics on my XBOX!

--Robb "The highlight of my Atari collecting days is when Rob Fulop gave me an original Cubicolor protoype!" Alvey

I now play all the classics on my XBOX!

Well, since my newest system is my PC and Dreamcast, I play all my classics on the real thing. Here's probably the coolest video game device ever made.

--Robb "The highlight of my Atari collecting days is when Rob Fulop gave me an original Cubicolor protoype!" Alvey

That's awesome. RF is pretty cool. Kinda goofy, but cool.

^ Holy crap that thing is cool! Yeah, the nice thing about having all those emulators on the XBOX is that they are all in one place, and play GREAT (especially all the MAME stuff) on your TV set.

The bad thing is when you need a specific controller, like the paddles to play Kaboom!

Luckily, one of the guys at Activision (the guy who did the anthologies) still has his 2600 hooked up so when I need a fix for the real thing I just go down the hall!

I have a 2600 and about 30 games in my office, but it hasn't been hooked up in years. =(

--Robb "You'd be amazed at how many of us in the video games industry has more classics on our desks than current systems!" Alvey

God I miss my Atari 2600, I can't imagine how many hours that I devoted to that system.

Then I had a Coleco Vision, which was an incredible upgrade in terms of graphics, over the Atari 2600. (For that time) Bring on Donkey Kong!!!

Now I have my eyes on an Ultracade stand up unit, which can include 100+ arcade quality games in one.

Even with the great systems that are coming out in the future, (X-box 360, the new PS3) I still enjoy playing the original Pitfall after all these years.

God I feel like a geek-chick talking about this stuff.

My brother and I were hooked on our Coleco. Let's see: Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, Ladybug, Smurf...I wish I could remember them all. I remember playing Ladybug for hours on end and it made me really jumpy from how crazy those killer bugs would get in the upper levels.

Now I am all about "Activision Anthology" (PS2) and reliving the following games that I used to play on the adapter for Coleco:

Barnstorming

Chopper Command

Crackpots

Dolphin

Enduro

Grand Prix

Kaboom!

Keystone Kapers

Megamania (oohhh yeah!)

Oink!

Pitfall

River Raid

Seaquest

Sky Jinks (still love this one, btw)

Space Shuttle

I remember playing Yar's Revenge a lot, also.

then we got a Sega Master System...and heck, I can't remember all those games! I remember kicking much butt in California Games, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Double Dragon, Out Run..and um...I'm drawing a blank. I loved Out Run and California Games tho.

Sheesh, far too many games.

Some of my faves from no particular era :

Asteroids (Arcade)

Bubble Bobble (Arcade)

Afterburner (Arcade)

Revenge of Shinobi (Genesis/Megadrive)

Bonk! (PC Engine)

Turrican (Amstrad CPC464, was better on the 16-bit computers and I vaguely remember a Genesis/Megadrive version too...)

Smash TV (SNES)

Double Dragon 2 (NES)

Robotron: 2084 (Arcade, how cool was 2 sticks at the time ?)

Cool Spot (Genesis)

Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis)

Tetris (Gameboy)

Space Harrier (Arcade)

Outrun (Arcade)

Contra 3/Super Probotector (SNES)

Castlevania 4 (SNES)

Rad Racer (NES)

Super Mario Bros 1, 3 and USA (NES)

Flimbos Quest (C64)

Lots of Atari 2600 games too, playing them now ruins memories though

Way too many to list though lol

I have lots of fond memories of old 8-bit computer games like Skool Daze, Lords of Midnight, MANY MANY text adventures (Infocom, Level 9 and others).

I, like most of the others in this thread have had most systems over the years and have favourites on them all, some right stinkers have turned up over the years too, who remembers how BAD the coversion of Pitfighter for the SNES was (not that it was great in the arcade though lol)

Fond memories and great great times for me growing up !

This brings back a lot of memories

Some of the ones I used to play :-

Chuckie Egg

Jetpac

Spy Hunter

Space Harrier

Jet Set Willy

Head over Heels

Ghost Busters

Bak 2 Skool

Manic Miner

Horrace Goes Skiing

There used to be a Olympic games one were you had to bash the keys so hard to get the player to run it almost destroyed your fingers !!.

Nick “arrrr good times” Collins

This brings back a lot of memories

Some of the ones I used to play :-

Chuckie Egg

Jetpac

Spy Hunter

Space Harrier

Jet Set Willy

Head over Heels

Ghost Busters

Bak 2 Skool

Manic Miner

Horrace Goes Skiing

There used to be a Olympic games one were you had to bash the keys so hard to get the player to run it almost destroyed your fingers !!.

Nick “arrrr good times” Collins

Geez, Horace goes Skiing, I remember fiddling with the volume dial on the dodgy tape deck I had trying to get that (and many other) speccy game to work

Chuckie Egg and Manic Miner too, how many hours did I lose to Chuckie Egg

Wasn't Back 2 School the sequel to School Daze ? I don't think I ever got round to even seeing it

^ Who you callin' an old fart?!?!?

Well considering that the average age of most boards seems to be 12, then 33 seems old to them you know.

An 8-bit computer cost $1000!!!! Wow. I bet it took 20 minutes to boot up!!! I remember how slow the old monster Apples used to be.

My first home model was a SNES I think. We didn't have a lot of money growing up, so I always had to play Atari at someone else's house. lol

I remember fiddling with the volume dial on the dodgy tape deck I had trying to get that (and many other) speccy game to work

Wasn't Back 2 School the sequel to School Daze ? I don't think I ever got round to even seeing it

Yes you would spend 30mins watching the coloured lines jump up & down while the game loaded & then you get to “Failed to load”

Yes, indeed it was a sequel to School daze.

Nick “Arrrr 16 bit colour computer those there the days !!” Collins

Luckily, one of the guys at Activision (the guy who did the anthologies) still has his 2600 hooked up so when I need a fix for the real thing I just go down the hall!

Would that be Ken Love? He posted a lot over at AtariAge.com when the Activision Anthology was being ported to the GBA.

So you work in a shared office building? Weird. I guess I'm used to the days when Atari ruled the whole valley and if you worked in one of their buildings you actually worked FOR Atari.

Ah, the good old days. 8)

^ Yes that would be Ken. His office is down the hall from mine. Random bit of gaming history: We've known each other for about 20ish years. Back in the 'old days' of the C-64, we had dial-in BBS's and stuff for those games! I helped him get his first job in the industry YEARS ago when we worked together at Virgin.

Our office building is pretty damn huge. Gotta be a few hundred people here! And in this "campus" of buildings is Treyarch, Luxoflux, and Activision.

--Robb

Hey is that a Crazy Climber machine you got there Robb? "Go For It!" Stupid flowerpots, stupid King Kong and stupid windows.

Burgertime had one of the best commericals when the home version came out. It featured the chef being chased around by hotdogs in his kitchen.

The sytems that I own or owned (yes they were new when I bought em) and two of my favorite games for each system.

1. Coleco Telstar II (Well it only has 4 games...but I guess Hockey and Tennis)

2. Atari 2600/Sears Telegames Edition (Adventure and Yar's Revenge (Got em on Xbox too))

3. Commodore 64 (Mule and Archon--very early EA game)--does not work anymore

4. Nintendo 8-bit (The Legend of Zelda and Castlevania)

5. Sega Genesis (Herzog Zwei and Aladdin--Cool animation on that one)

6. Sega CD (Night Trap! (but for serious) Sonic CD and Ecco the Dolphin (still has the best game music))

7. Super Nintendo (Legend of Zelda--Link to the Past (my favorite game) and Super Metroid))

8. Gameboy (Tetris and Dr. Mario)

9. Sega Dreamcast (Panzer Dragoon 2 and Panzer Dragoon Saga) kicking myself for trading in this one.

10. Playstation 1 (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Chrono Cross)

11. PC (Doom and Sim City)

12. Neo Geo CD/Z (Pulstar and Metal Slug 1) (of all the old systems I play this one the most)

13. Arcade (Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Discs of Tron and Bezerk ("Intruder Alert!) ok thats 3...heh

I figured that is far enough since this is a "Older Video Games" thread

Erik "What ever happened to the K.C. Munchkin character?" Johnson