TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

P. 476: Cedar Fair sells park land, CGA to close within the next 11 years

Even though there is a construction site in CGA, none of my friends know there is a new coaster being built (until I tell them). So, it might not be a secret to enthusiasts, but it's pretty much a secret to the GP.

I was browsing through Google Images and I found this rare photo of Green Vortex, I'm surprised by how similar it looks to Riddler's Revenge.

Linky

(By the way, I am not trying to advertise the link's page, I am not affiliated with the owner of the image)

I preferred that paint job. The Purple and Yellow don't do it for me. I would love if they went back to the old paint style. Hell, I would like to see the ride get ANY paint; it looked tired when I visited last month.

I agree, the old paint job looks much better than the new one.

Was Vortex re-painted into it's current color because Tidal Wave was painted green?

I preferred that paint job. The Purple and Yellow don't do it for me. I would love if they went back to the old paint style. Hell, I would like to see the ride get ANY paint; it looked tired when I visited last month.

I agree, the old paint job looks much better than the new one.

Was Vortex re-painted into it's current color because Tidal Wave was painted green?

I believe Vortex was repainted at the same time Tidal Wave got renamed and received new paint. I don't think X happened because of Y, but more of X happened at the same time as Y. I certainly miss the old color as well, looked a little more striking. It would be sweet if CGA went back to the old color setup or do something similar with contrasting colors.

I have that clip somewhere as well, lifted it off the old PGA site from...1997 I think?

Also, watching the retro Flight Deck....I mean Top Gun footage, I noticed that the footers in the pond aren't 'connected' (as in the concrete pads now appear to be both a lot wider and seemed to be joined to the center footer in that helix) like they are now. Anyone know why (besides the reason that Top Gun was sinking)?

^Alternatively, "flight deck" is another word for "cockpit"...why not call it Cockpit? Actually, don't answer that.

Oh wow, you just went there didn't you? Bravo for that one.

Out of curiosity, why didn't FD keep Afterburn as its name?

FD never had Afterburn as a name, so what's to keep?

Yeah, they got our hopes up for like a week and then went back to FD. Oh well, they could call it "Kaptain Kangaroo goes Kayaking" for all I car, it's a great ride.

I keep checking back on the permit page we all know by now, just to see what some of the next steps are. As of lately, it seems to be that every Friday there's some kind of update.

Random note: I'm going to try going again this weekend. This season, I'm trying to get out there either every other week or every 2 weeks...I hate long gaps between visits...

Edited by Angry_Gumball

Just got back from a long day, got to the park a little before 11:30 and left around 8:20. Got on the last ride of the night on FD for the first time ever and in the front which was fun, the ride crew towards closing became Super Tight Line Nazis but more on that later.

Decent sized crowd. The longest wait was Tiki Twirl, though I would assume the reason being was that there wasn't a real grouper assigning people to the 4 "color" groups anymore since the Survivor Theme is gone, and that the queue in the loading area is all confusing since they removed half of it, but that's another story.

They are definitely taking control of the lines with all the Fast Lane/Groupers at all the major rides which is great as it does help the lines flow so much smoother. They were grouping people at Drop Tower and assigning them cabins (so the spiel they say when they say "walk to your assign cabin" finally has real meaning now lol). They did assign rows at Vortex even though there was no line too.

FInally saw Happiness Is Snoopy, definitely a great show, highly recommend for the families.

Back to the Line Nazis, towards closing, the FD crew were getting extremely strict on people abusing the Fast Lane Line to get back in line instead of going all the way to the front, who didn't have FL wristband. I saw a group of nearly 10 people get forced to walk to the front. At least the line jumping is being addressed...

It's nice to know both SFDK & CGA this year are getting more in control of the lines and overcrowding at the stations which is a good thing, even though to the GP it looks like the line is long, it helps with the overall flow.

Just got back from a long day, got to the park a little before 11:30 and left around 8:20. Got on the last ride of the night on FD for the first time ever and in the front which was fun, the ride crew towards closing became Super Tight Line Nazis but more on that later.

Decent sized crowd. The longest wait was Tiki Twirl, though I would assume the reason being was that there wasn't a real grouper assigning people to the 4 "color" groups anymore since the Survivor Theme is gone, and that the queue in the loading area is all confusing since they removed half of it, but that's another story.

They are definitely taking control of the lines with all the Fast Lane/Groupers at all the major rides which is great as it does help the lines flow so much smoother. They were grouping people at Drop Tower and assigning them cabins (so the spiel they say when they say "walk to your assign cabin" finally has real meaning now lol). They did assign rows at Vortex even though there was no line too.

FInally saw Happiness Is Snoopy, definitely a great show, highly recommend for the families.

Back to the Line Nazis, towards closing, the FD crew were getting extremely strict on people abusing the Fast Lane Line to get back in line instead of going all the way to the front, who didn't have FL wristband. I saw a group of nearly 10 people get forced to walk to the front. At least the line jumping is being addressed...

It's nice to know both SFDK & CGA this year are getting more in control of the lines and overcrowding at the stations which is a good thing, even though to the GP it looks like the line is long, it helps with the overall flow.

Hmm what was the shirt you were wearing on the last ride for flight deck?

Was wearing a yellow and grey shirt and was sitting in the front with a family of 3.

yea because I would've been checking your seat at the end. I was loader. I was actually limping a little if you noticed. Do you remember if I did anything specific besides say "good". I'm trying to remember what you look like lol.

Was wearing a yellow and grey shirt and was sitting in the front with a family of 3.

yea because I would've been checking your seat at the end. I was loader. I was actually limping a little if you noticed. Do you remember if I did anything specific besides say "good".

I remember a Latino looking guy checked my seat who was at Safety (if that's what it's still called; I used to operate Top Gun back in 2000, can't believe it's been 12 years lol) I was sitting on the back before I went back in line for the last ride of the day and remember a girl checking my seat, was that you?

yea because I would've been checking your seat at the end. I was loader. I was actually limping a little if you noticed. Do you remember if I did anything specific besides say "good".

I remember a Latino looking guy checked my seat who was at Safety (if that's what it's still called; I used to operate Top Gun back in 2000, can't believe it's been 12 years lol) I was sitting on the back before I went back in line for the last ride of the day and remember a girl checking my seat, was that you?

Yup, my name tag says "christina". Did I say anything specific? Safety is called Unloader now. I guess its called unloader because the person is on the exit side.