TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Great so that's what we have to look forward to.

Hopefully that won't be the norm. It was the first time both venues were open at once so they'll probably get better operations (and remember CGA won't be open during Niners games). Additionally the reason CGA was so busy yesterday is that it was bring up to 4 friends for $15.99 day, and apparently just about every season pass holder obliged.

Great so that's what we have to look forward to.

Hopefully that won't be the norm. It was the first time both venues were open at once so they'll probably get better operations (and remember CGA won't be open during Niners games). Additionally the reason CGA was so busy yesterday is that it was bring up to 4 friends for $15.99 day, and apparently just about every season pass holder obliged.

This.

I didn't even dare offer to bring some friends even though the price point was nice.

With the closure of the park during the football games there should be a smoother parking process. It will take some time for stadium goers to take advantage/familiarize themselves with the various routes that are available, but I didnt think about the other events the stadium could have on the books (concerts, other sports, etc).

^Grizzly simply has low capacity because it has a ludicrously complex restraint system that feels like it has rusted into place (taking excessive force to pull down and lock) and is hard to push down if you have large thighs. Not to mention it is a rather bland ride, although I think it is actually quite smooth. Maybe RMC could Iron Horse Grizzly. Let me explain - and when I say "stretch", I mean the long, slow, boring hills between turnarounds, and "airtime buffet" refers to a series of bunny hops as seen on Knoebels' Phoenix.

-Station to lift - Same layout, why change this?

-First drop - Steeper, that's all.

-First turn - Rather than the slow elevated turnaround they have now, I'm thinking a bunny hill followed by a turn that swoops to the ground. Think Steel Medusa's turns.

-First stretch - After the first turn, the ride would rise into a taller ejector hill (think Maverick or El Toro's former Rolling Thunder hill.) Following this, just make the slow, long hill an airtime buffet. You could fit 2 or 3, maybe even 4 good airtime hills into there.

-Second turnaround - Since this will be one of the first things riders see entering, how about you rise up, rapidly turn, and then barrel roll down. It would be like Steel Medusa's first drop - a dropping roll - that would go over the entry path.

-Second stretch - Combine an airtime buffet with a low, 90-degree turn near ground level. AT the end, make a tall airtime hill (just like the first stretch, think Maverick or El Toro's former Rolling Thunder hill)

-Third turnaround - Dropping off the last hill of the second stretch, I'd want the track to swoop to the ground.

-Third stretch - The turn would rise back up into a final bunny hop or 2. Then there would be a somewhat banked turn near the ground. As the ride approaches its brakes on this turn, it would pop up, turn to a 90 degree bank to the left, and then flatten out. We have more than enough length to put in a long brake run or even a little hill right before the brake run after the final turn. Looking at it, the 90 degree turn might not have enough clearance due to the track on the left, so the alternative would be to stay low, pop up at no bank when you are aligned with the brakes, maybe make the extra bunny hop, and then brakes.

If you think about it, a complete rethinking of Grizzly would produce one of the most airtime-filled coasters in the world.

The chances of this happening are as great as your proposal to re-do Revolution. (aka very low)

Since I have a CF platinum pass and it's directly on the way home to LA I decided to see if GS was up and was greeted once again with attraction not operating. Something has to be up. Was it down all weekend?

Nice touch tho...I walked in and they were playing the Mariotts Carrousel Song. Cool hearing that in the park.

I am really concerned and curious at what is causing this now, especially as CGA had it's busiest day in at least a decade yesterday and they knew it would be..if they couldnt get it up for that, something is seriously wrong. Every single ride was using all switchbacks yesterday and all were spilling out the entrance. I'm guessing the wait for Grizzly topped 3 hours. Mind blowing to think waiting that long for that ride.

Yep was down again all day today (Sunday):

10543695_10202880022414858_1401587775_n.thumb.jpg.d9a84d754a773a1c987a7d53e3a89e82.jpg

I'm at the park most weekends and have definitely noticed Gold Striker's short periods of downtime have become more frequent over the past month or so. It is not uncommon to see the ride go down for an hour or so at least once a day. Does seem unusual for such a new ride.

^Grizzly simply has low capacity because it has a ludicrously complex restraint system that feels like it has rusted into place (taking excessive force to pull down and lock) and is hard to push down if you have large thighs. Not to mention it is a rather bland ride, although I think it is actually quite smooth. Maybe RMC could Iron Horse Grizzly. Let me explain - and when I say "stretch", I mean the long, slow, boring hills between turnarounds, and "airtime buffet" refers to a series of bunny hops as seen on Knoebels' Phoenix.

-Station to lift - Same layout, why change this?

-First drop - Steeper, that's all.

-First turn - Rather than the slow elevated turnaround they have now, I'm thinking a bunny hill followed by a turn that swoops to the ground. Think Steel Medusa's turns.

-First stretch - After the first turn, the ride would rise into a taller ejector hill (think Maverick or El Toro's former Rolling Thunder hill.) Following this, just make the slow, long hill an airtime buffet. You could fit 2 or 3, maybe even 4 good airtime hills into there.

-Second turnaround - Since this will be one of the first things riders see entering, how about you rise up, rapidly turn, and then barrel roll down. It would be like Steel Medusa's first drop - a dropping roll - that would go over the entry path.

-Second stretch - Combine an airtime buffet with a low, 90-degree turn near ground level. AT the end, make a tall airtime hill (just like the first stretch, think Maverick or El Toro's former Rolling Thunder hill)

-Third turnaround - Dropping off the last hill of the second stretch, I'd want the track to swoop to the ground.

-Third stretch - The turn would rise back up into a final bunny hop or 2. Then there would be a somewhat banked turn near the ground. As the ride approaches its brakes on this turn, it would pop up, turn to a 90 degree bank to the left, and then flatten out. We have more than enough length to put in a long brake run or even a little hill right before the brake run after the final turn. Looking at it, the 90 degree turn might not have enough clearance due to the track on the left, so the alternative would be to stay low, pop up at no bank when you are aligned with the brakes, maybe make the extra bunny hop, and then brakes.

If you think about it, a complete rethinking of Grizzly would produce one of the most airtime-filled coasters in the world.

The chances of this happening are as great as your proposal to re-do Revolution. (aka very low)

'

You can't deny this is a good idea. If Cedar Fair ever does decide to do business with RMC, I think Grizzly might be a top candidate (along with Ghost Rider, Mean Streak, etc.)... still a low possibility.

By the way, do you mean to insult my pipe dreams? Just asking.

They should make everybody happy and just burn Grizzly to the ground.

Honestly, RMC would be better. You already have a "template" to save a few million dollars, and we know that RMC can produce some crazy contraptions. Plus, a park like CGA would do good with a small RMC. Iron Grizzly... let the pipe dreams begin! (Well, I already started them.)

Iron Grizzly?

Why waste the money when you could tear it down and build something way better on that footprint.

Iron Horse coasters tend to be top-10 quality from what we've seen. What else do you think? My pipe dreams say Mega-Lite or its Chance/Mack derivatives, but there is a host of other coasters that could go there (not as good, though.)

I honestly want to see them keep Grizzly as is. While it is a joke amongst enthusiasts, it is a perfect training coaster for younger riders. If it were rough, I would say Iron Horse it. But it's smooth and actually somewhat enjoyable even though it lacks air time.

For the park's next coaster, I want to see them use the area where Invertigo once was.

If Cedar Fair ever does decide to do business with RMC, I think Grizzly might be a top candidate (along with Ghost Rider, Mean Streak, etc.)

Have to agree. If I'm asked the top 3 wooden coasters I'd like to see get RMC, those three are my top three.

I agree 100% on Mean Streak. I honestly think Ghost Rider could just use Topper Track since that was a top 10 coaster before it became incredibly rough.

Yeah. Topper Track and remove the drastic trims. Maybe reprofile a little for maximum airtime, but not NTAG-style reprofiling - maybe add a double-up or double-drop somewhere, banked turns, etc. But keep the majority similar.

I really hope it re-opens soon. I've already got my flights & hotels & such booked for the next weekend (8/16-17), and Gold Striker is the coaster I was most excited to ride on this trip.

Are you aware that the park is closed on 8/17 due to the Niners game? Hope that doesn't affect your plans!

No.

What does that mean? Assuming your short response indicates that you know why it's been closed, why not post that? If you have no idea, I'd think that the sound issue wouldn't be an absurd idea to throw out there.

I always find it strange when people post "I know something but can't say" type posts -- I noticed that in the Hard Rock/Freestyle thread, too. Apparently some here KNOW where those rides are going/gone, and it should be obvious to everyone else, but the poster can't just come out and say it.

Sorry - got off track there. That just seems like a very short response, and assuming you are correct - surely you must know why.

ALSO: is there a specific reason why there is no " 's " on the end of California in this thread's title? For a long time I assumed it was branded as California Great America - but after seeing a map or something, it is California's Great America.

Based on the observations of the previous posters visiting the park, something you should have been paying attention to, the ride has been experiencing a high number of down times lately which makes it way more likely it's an issue with the ride itself and not because of decibel readings.