TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Do u think that nothing new this year means something big next year? Or it really doesnt matter?

Following that line of thinking, CGA better be getting a 500 foot, 4th dimension launched inverted woodie aquatrax dive machine.

Speaking of the Action Theater, I've seen the doors to the right side open nearly every time I've visited this summer. I've never seen them open in prior seasons. Hmm...prep work for yet-to-be-revealed fifth Haunt show?

On the official CGA site, they say that there will be five shows, but on the (unfinished) Haunt site there are four. In all reality, the fifth show will likely be in the Great America Theater to replace Fangs.

Because I had nothing better to do tonight...I present you with CGA's newest attraction...(ok, maybe not but it's fun to dream, right?)

I've also thought that a coaster like that would fit. Although, fitting in a queue area could be problematic.

I think that was pretty much it as far as Haunt goes.

About the other stuff, not a whole lot was really said other than the idea that the GCI coaster isn't dead. The only other thing we really know is that the Cedar Fair (Not Great America) comes up with the plans for the park...not the park coming up with the plans. They have a design team that goes out to the parks, evaluates a possible location and goes forward from there. Someone correct me if I missed anything or didn't state this properly.

Speaking of the Action Theater, I've seen the doors to the right side open nearly every time I've visited this summer. I've never seen them open in prior seasons. Hmm...prep work for yet-to-be-revealed fifth Haunt show?

On the official CGA site, they say that there will be five shows, but on the (unfinished) Haunt site there are four. In all reality, the fifth show will likely be in the Great America Theater to replace Fangs.

Have they had the front doors for the right half open, I've only seen the back ones open (where the exit would be) I haven't heard any plans for the right half of AFX (yet anyways) but last time I was in that side- I was helping move some items from one storage area into the theater, adding to what was already in it. I wonder if they could actually make that side usable again because from what I saw, it looks like they could, but I doubt they will. I think they've used some parts from the seats in there to fix the ones in the working side.

^I've been seeing the front doors open, but not all of them at once, maybe 2 or 3 at a time. I also saw all the exit doors open once this summer.

I also noticed this season that the theater's arcade is looking pretty empty. Maybe over a quarter of the machines are gone.

Because I had nothing better to do tonight...I present you with CGA's newest attraction...(ok, maybe not but it's fun to dream, right?)

That would fit perfectly! Though I wouldn't get to excited about it, myself, due to there being one at SFDK.

I hope GA gets a longer, bigger, coaster than the ones they have now.

I think that was pretty much it as far as Haunt goes.

About the other stuff, not a whole lot was really said other than the idea that the GCI coaster isn't dead. The only other thing we really know is that the Cedar Fair (Not Great America) comes up with the plans for the park...not the park coming up with the plans. They have a design team that goes out to the parks, evaluates a possible location and goes forward from there. Someone correct me if I missed anything or didn't state this properly.

That's still good news.

Those annoying complaining crybaby neighbors don't have a say anymore on what goes in. CF & the city kicked them out. Ha ha. Since CF got a 2 year extension for the woodie we know its coming now! Too bad it won't be next year though. Looks like we'll have to wait until 2013 since there are no markers & no signs of piles of wood anywhere. As for next year hopefully it will be a big Boomerang Bay expansion with a nice tower of slides! & Get rid of the Spongebob movie & put 2 brand new movies in the Action Theater. Will we finally know the 2012 plans on the 17th since it's CF's big announcement day for all parks?

Those annoying complaining crybaby neighbors don't have a say anymore on what goes in. CF & the city kicked them out. Ha ha. Since CF got a 2 year extension for the woodie we know its coming now!

What color is the sky in your world?

^^I wouldn't be surprised if they announced whatever there plans are on the 17th if that really is a Cedar Fair announcement day. But just because they have a two year extension doesn't necessarily mean the Wooden Coaster is guranteed. I think it might be pretty likely though, but you never know.

Those annoying complaining crybaby neighbors don't have a say anymore on what goes in. CF & the city kicked them out. Ha ha. Since CF got a 2 year extension for the woodie we know its coming now! Too bad it won't be next year though. Looks like we'll have to wait until 2013 since there are no markers & no signs of piles of wood anywhere. As for next year hopefully it will be a big Boomerang Bay expansion with a nice tower of slides! & Get rid of the Spongebob movie & put 2 brand new movies in the Action Theater. Will we finally know the 2012 plans on the 17th since it's CF's big announcement day for all parks?

Okay okay okay....calm down...

First: During the Q&A at CGA during Bay Area Bash, we were told by the management that the woodie is indeed coming to the park in the next few years. They also told us, that while the neighbors expessed some legitimate concerns about nose levels coming from the coaster that could indeed disturb their workplace, a sound test was done that indicated the sound was within acceptable levels. They were expressing their concerns, is that such a bad thing?

Second, Boomerang Bay still brings in consistently large crowds, but probably not enough to justify a new slide complex that can only operate for part of the year. The water park is free with admission and still has a fair amount of rides.

Third: The coaster isn't going to be here for 2012, management told us that. The project is ready to go, but won't be put into effect next year. Expect it 2013-2014 I believe they said. Unless something changes, the ride will be here eventually.

Fourth: The Spongebob 4D attraction caters to families, and a very large crowd, and consistently has long wait times. At this time there is no point in changing it. If SFDK eventually decides to start using theirs again, who knows, maybe they will change the film. For now however, Spongebob isn't going anywhere.

^I've been seeing the front doors open, but not all of them at once, maybe 2 or 3 at a time. I also saw all the exit doors open once this summer.

I also noticed this season that the theater's arcade is looking pretty empty. Maybe over a quarter of the machines are gone.

Interesting, makes me wonder why they were open these other times, I've never seen the front ones open, but then I'm never really going by the front of it that often to have seen them open. It is odd in there though with no one in it, it's mostly dark and the screen is still there as well, it would be nice if they did bring back two Halloween themed 3-D shows for Haunt, or at least one in the Spongebob side.

About the arcade portion, I actually noticed that yesterday too when cutting through the exit side to get backstage, that many of the machines have been removed. I guess we'll find out soon enough if they have something planned for the space or even not for that matter.

So the woodie is definitely coming in the next few years? That's pretty exciting news if it's true. Also is it still going to be GCI?

I'd hope, it would be nice to see the park finally get a new coaster sometime in the near future. Makes me wonder where it will be put though, well, either in the original location proposed around the Star Tower or the alternate location presented back in 2008 on the Redwood Amphitheater.