TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Semi Photo TR: CGA Opening Day

Scream Zone? Wow...just wow.

Besides the new names, I really hope that the park continues with their improvements in the staff. Last summer I was completely disappointed with the service, slow and unfriendly. However, during the Haunt sneak peek, the staff was very friendly and enthusiastic. Hopefully things are on the upturn at the park staff wise.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I hate both names, I'm starting to get used to the name Flight Deck. And the sign isn't to shabby. Drop Tower on the other hand...Worst.Name.Ever. The sign makes it even worse. The has got to be one of the worst signs I have ever seen. I don't see why they couldn't keep the giant neon "Drop" portion of it.

Once thing I give Cedar Fair major points for is the Halloween Haunt. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like Cedar Fair puts a lot more effort and money into their parks Halloween Events than Six Flags does.

Great America sure once was a GREAT park. Its so depressing now looking at what has happened to it. I really miss the themed lands: Hometown Square, County Fair, Youkon Territory/Yankee Harbor, Smurf Village. I remember how dynamic the Tidal Wave que area looked like a sandy beach & its wave outline streching down the track. At night it looked nicly lit up. I totatally miss these rides:

-Stealth

-Greased Lightnin (Tidal Wave)

-The Edge

-Triple Play

-Triple Wheel

-Skyhawk

-The Lobster

-Yankee Clipper

-Days Of Thunder

-Nickelodean Splat City & the big tower that shot water out of the top

I was thinking about going twice this year but forget it. Elissa is right. Maybe I won't go for another 5-10 years when theres at least a few more coasters. One giant woodie won't do it.

dang... what a lot of Cedar Fair hate!

I went once during Paramount's ownership when I first moved to the area and thought that it LOOKED pretty cool, but I thought the service was pretty bad, the lines moved slow, and line jumping seemed to be allowed / overlooked by security. My friends and I referred to it as "OK America" or "Adequate America".

I didn't return until Cedar Fair took over, and the first thing I noticed was that Top Gun's line moved much more quickly, and I even heard employees warning would-be line jumpers.

I don't think Cedar Fair has yet to have an impact at this park yet, so I don't see why they should be blamed. Sure, two names aren't that great. Big deal. Is that really "killing CGA"?

Personally, I don't like the cross marketing names for rides like Drop Zone, Survivor, Tomb Raider, etc... It's one step away from Cisco Swings, Xbox Tower, Orbitz Orbit at California's Great Comerica.

Though it is still basically the same "junior park" as it was when I first went, I find myself having a better time at the park since Cedar Fair took over.

Finally, someone who doesn't bash Cedar Fair for everything they do. I never liked the movie and TV references either. They are not the greatest names, but the name doesn't make the ride. Yeah, Drop Tower is the most boring name on the face of the earth, and the sign sucks, but would that prevent someone from riding? No. Once this season is over and 2009 rolls around, all the focus will be on the GCI coaster and other park stuff. Flight Deck and Drop Tower bashing will be a thing of the past.

A side note. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like the Flight Deck and Drop Tower bashing is only being targeted towards CGA. I haven't really heard anyone bashing Carowinds, KI, KD, or CW for their Drop Towers. Granted Cedar Fair made these decisions, but why is everyone ganging up on CGA?

A side note. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like the Flight Deck and Drop Tower bashing is only being targeted towards CGA. I haven't really heard anyone bashing Carowinds, KI, KD, or CW for their Drop Towers. Granted Cedar Fair made these decisions, but why is everyone ganging up on CGA?

Maybe because those parks haven't opened for the season yet? (KD doesn't until Saturday, at least.)

I was never bothered with the movie references; after all, the parks were owned by Paramount then.

Outside of the 2 name changes, I actually have good hopes for this park. When was the last time that the Great America Theater/Paramount Theater/Grand Music Hall was used? I'm sure that after all the Flight Deck/Drop Tower bashing, I'll probably be switching between original/new names throughout the season. Also, as corny as I think Drop Tower Scream Zone is, I do give them some praise for retaining the Drop Zone colors in their sign. Personally, they could probably do without the "Scream Zone" thing as it seems so random/out of place.

So was it Cedar Fair that revived Orbit?

That's a good point (other parks not open yet)...

The movie references seemed goofy to me because it was such a clear indication of what Paramount did... everything before Paramount had a classic amusement park name, and only the new attractions got the movie "theme."

The Nickelodeon area works, because all rides are tied into the theme.

But to have movie references in a park that did not seem to be fully themed as some kind of "movie park" ala Universal Studios seemed a little exploitive... and look what it has led to... name changes... though I miss seeing the Raiders of the Lost Ark idol

I like how Cedar Fair has bucked the trend of naming things for the ownership, and now the signs wouldn't need to be changed should the park change hands: Marriott's Great America, Paramount's Great America... Cedar Fair's Great America? Knott's Great America? no.... California's Great America. THAT was a GOOD name change.

I think it is great to see CF making a commitment to the park, and it just makes me wonder what they are thinking for the long term... with a great new wooden coaster going in... what could become of Grizzly? Will something better occupy that spot in a few years?

I have a strong feeling that it was Cedar Fair that revived The Orbit. This is what I'm thinking. Paramount decided to tear out Orbit after the 2005 season. But then they were in talks with Cedar Fair about the acquisition, so they halted the removal of Orbit and just kept it SBNO for 2006. Then Cedar Fair decided to keep Orbit. Again, this is what I think happened; it could've been for a totally different reason.

Cedar Fair is killing CGA and will probably start to kill all the other Paramount parks in no time.

So by reading your statement I'm led to believe that you think the parks were great during its Paramount reign by comparison? As much as I agree that the park isn't worth a visit by potential out of county/state park goers, I cant really stand people bashing CF for "killing" the park. I think they're making due with the state the park was in, post-Paramount. The last season, I saw a cleaner park with a friendlier vibe, both by staff and in presentation.

The ramp CF is taking in improvements may not be as steep as we'd hope/like it to be, but they're definitely making improvements to the park.

I'm by far a CGA nutt-hugger, even though it is one of my home parks, but I cant keep reading about how CF is flushing this park down the drain.

As far as my input, outside of the 2 name changes (what's the possibility of these being temps?) I think the park is heading the right direction, slowly but surely. The workers (from what I've experienced so far) were nice, informative, and willing to joke with people. I asked where pass processing was going on this year and a worker at the gate actually took time to tell me where "Celebration Plaza" is, and the building it sits in. (I wasn't sure if they had another area set up as last year, I didn't process my card at the former triple play site) Ride attendants were nice and willing to joke around. (One was joking that the rapids had a double loop when my bro purposely asked a GP question) Employees were also nice off the clock. (I wonder who...lol)

During our stuckageness on Vortex, the attendant kept coming back to the break run to check on us and inform us that a mechanic is on his way, but if worst came to worst, they would evacuate us.

I would not say that Cedar Fair is killing the park as this is only their second round at running the park. Their transitional stage could have been smoother, and maybe more creative, but with all those trash cans the park was pretty clean both last and this season. (Vortex, please give some TLC! The steps are still kinda dirty!) I'd say to give it a few years to see the outcome.

I NEVER check out shows at parks... but i am interested to see what an ice show would be like. I like the idea of a cold building with powerful A/C in the middle of summer... did anyone go to the park when Slush Puppie rolled their trailer in for a couple weeks last summer? YUM.

I noticed Carousel Souvenirs was closed this weekend... is that normal for opening day? I hoped it was an indication that something was amiss with the Pictorium........

Yeah, the Vortex ride area is pretty nasty. At least the exit and the arcade doesn't smell like puke anymore! (Or maybe it's just me). With Reptar, Rain Maze, and the Taxi Jam theming being repainted, hopefully Flight Deck, Vortex, Demon, and Psycho Mouse get some much needed paint in the coming seasons.

The one thing I'm stoked for is Haunt.

Yeah, I haven't been to a real Haunt event before. Actually, outside of a corporate event, I have never seen Great America at night before... do all of the rides even have lighting?

I'm excited about the later hours.

cga_coke.jpg.a221e5250ef73c873c1060daac62135d.jpg

Do you think it hurts Pepsi to see Cedar Fair's name on this Coke machine? If only that affiliation could spread throughout the rest of CF parks.........

The park looks really cool in the dark. Psycho Mouse has lights that run along the track. Demon is fun in the dark because the whole ride area is really dark. The other coasters just have standard lighting on the lift hill. A lot of the flat rides look neat with all the lights lit up. If you go on Loggers Run, you get a view of the entire park. IMO, Loggers has a better view of the park than Drop Tower and Star Tower.

^^haha.

But I actually think that machine looks pretty good. I just wish they would replace those Arrow corkscrews with some B&M track and then some enthusiasts might be happy.

...but then again, 99% of the people who use those machines don't think of the corporate implications or of the quality of the coasters on the artwork.

Cool... now that they are going to be open for more night hours I will finally see the lights! Too bad the park lost its ferris wheel

The Eiffel tower in the Coke graphic makes me think it was designed for King's Island.

cga_firefall2_web.JPG.0c458f94129331e034e5f003058a18e2.JPG

Firefall from Delta Flyer

cga_firefall1_web.JPG.8c47b69dc258d83d63f5a9638f813797.JPG

Firefall from the covered bridge

Cedar Fair is killing CGA and will probably start to kill all the other Paramount parks in no time.

So by reading your statement I'm led to believe that you think the parks were great during its Paramount reign by comparison? As much as I agree that the park isn't worth a visit by potential out of county/state park goers, I cant really stand people bashing CF for "killing" the park. I think they're making due with the state the park was in, post-Paramount. The last season, I saw a cleaner park with a friendlier vibe, both by staff and in presentation.

The ramp CF is taking in improvements may not be as steep as we'd hope/like it to be, but they're definitely making improvements to the park.

I'm by far a CGA nutt-hugger, even though it is one of my home parks, but I cant keep reading about how CF is flushing this park down the drain.

While CGA wasn't "OMG! This is amazing!!" Disney Quality during the Paramount era, I did find it to be in decent shape with decent operators and decent quality.

As for the workers being friendly, I really hope this is true. But from my experience with Cedar Fair workers, that is most likely not true.

If you love CGA, that's fine, but I have defiantly lowered my expectations for the park.

Oh yeah. That Coke Machine is an eyesore.

I was thinking they could call it Magnitude, meaning the magnitude of an earthquake. And according to RCDB, there is no coasters called Magnitude, they can trademark it I think that would be a kinda cool theme for a wooden coaster in California. Stampede is fine by its self. Santa Clara Stampede sounds horrible. I guess Cedar Fair is really trying be western lately (Maverick, Renegade, ?Stampede?). The ride is still a long way down the road, the it could just, and hopefully be, the project name.

About Demon, did it ever have 3 trains? It ran 2 trains, had it's third train sitting on the transfer track. (One is red, one is orange and one is yellow striped). I'm not sure, but I though that I had read somewhere that Demon's third train has been gone for a while...forgot where I had read this.

Yes, Demon has always had 3 trains, even back in the Turn of the Century days. Paramount for some reason stopped using the 3rd train. SFGAm, however, still runs all 3 trains pretty often during the summer (and Fright Fest if they have enough employees).

No, SFGAm doesn't use all three trains often. They mostly usually two trains. Heck, we haven't seen the red train before this year. It's been gone for at least 2 years. SFGAm has a red train, a yellow train, and a black train.

It sounds like you are complaining about stupid things. Wow, they changed the names of 2 rides. They had too. Heck, Drop Zone sounds like a horrible name to begin with. I think that old sign looks ugly. It's just a name. By the way, it's called "Drop Tower: Scream Zone" now so it's not just Drop Tower as everyone is acting like why don't they just call Vortex stand-up coaster? No one complains about the Huss Condor being the Condor, a Matterhorn being a Matterhorn, or a Super Himilaya being a Super Himilaya.

If SFGAm called Batman the Ride "Superhero", I would still go to the park. It's because the contract ran out, and they didn't want to pay for it. So, that's what you have to deal with. It's not like I'm going to boycott the park because of something like that. It's a name. I would be more mad if they take rides out that I really liked. Whoever, had the idea of removing your Troika, and the Enterprise had the right idea. Those are walk-on rides at SFGAm. They need some better flats, and those are really old rides. I like those rides, but they are walk-on at SFGAm.

That's the problem with them to the corporation. Because they are walk-on though means that there are going to be more people standing in that roller coaster over there because they aren't on this walk-on flat that I get to ride over and over again. A park shouldn't keep a ride that's not getting the people. It's just not worth it.

As the problem with that park, I haven't been there, but I think that park needs to spend the money on the roller coasters. I think that Demon, and Vortex (Iron Wolf most likely) should probably leave that park because they are on the rough side. I have no idea if Grizzly is rough or not, but it looks like it may be.

It's okay to have Iron Wolf, and Demon at SFGAm because the park has more other roller coasters that overshadow the rough rides, and I think it's bigger too. SFGAm may have Iron Wolf, and Demon, but they have Viper, Raging Bull, Superman, V2, Whizzer, and we did have Deja Vu. I actually think that Demon is great (but other people don't agree), and I think that Iron Wolf is good. I can see why CGA isn't doing that good in Cedar Fair's eyes.