TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Trip to SFGAM & Canada's Wonderland

haydawg149

Okay, so yes it's quite a ways away, but I'm just too excited to keep it all inside.

Me and nine friends are taking a senior trip to Chicago and Toronto. We got a lot of stuff figured out but we're still in the works of making reservations in Toronto. We're planning to stay at a camp ground for $20 for three nights. We're hitting up SFGAM in Chicago the day after we arrive, also heading to Navy Pier and museums in the area. after three days in Chicago, staying at a friends house for FREE, were driving six hours to Toronto, and hitting up Canada's Wonderland. Which is where you guys come in. I'm not familiar with the park. I'd like to know what rides they offer and if it's really worth the trip to the park. I'm pretty much set on it b/c behemoth is coming, but I'd like to know what the park offers if you've been there.

I'm totally stoked and any info on CW would be much appreciated!

Itinerary so far:

-leave Omaha at 6am

-arrive in Chicago at 3pm

-Navy Pier

-Sears Tower/Downtown

-Art Institute of Chicago

*Day 2

-Gurnee Mills Mall

-SFGAM

*Day 3

- ?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I do not see what people see in Navy Pier. I suppose it is a "must see." However, if you must see it and are going to be there anyways, I strongly encourage you to take an architecture cruise on Sea Dog. It is a fantastic tour, but you also get the incredible rush of the Sea Dog out on Lake Michigan first. Also, if you want to go up in a tall building, the John Hancock has much better views (e.g. Lake Michigan) that the Sears does. I love the Art Institute of Chicago, and Millennium Park is awesome, (and FREE!) If you are looking for great Chicago cuisine, your best two bets are Portillo's for a hot dog or Italian Beef, or Gino's East for the best Deep Dish pizza you will ever eat. Both are located right near the intersection of Clark & Ontario, walking distance from North Michigan Ave, Millennium Park, and the John Hancock.

Gurnee Mills is amazing. It is gigantic and if possible spend 1/2 a day not dedicated to SFGAm there, because there is so much to take in. Within the mall there is a movie theater, ice skating rink, laser tag, arcade games, and 2 major food courts! You may also want to check out Key Lime Cove, which is opening across from SFGAm. You may not be able to enter because you are not staying there but it looks AWESOME and opens in March I believe. If there is anything I can help you with in the Chicago area, don't hesitate to let me know. Oh and by the way, bring lots of money for tolls, and if possible take the back entrance to SFGAm right off of IL 21 on Washington Street. It is really cool to drive through American Eagle and there is never a line to get in back there, and often times you get better parking spots. HAVE FUN!

after three days in Chicago, staying at a friends house for FREE, were driving six hours to Toronto, and hitting up Canada's Wonderland.

Unless you're planning on doing 120 mph the whole way, you will not make it from Chicago to Toronto in 6 hours.

It'll be closer to 9 hours. Google maps estimates it as 8 hours 19 minutes. And that's pure driving time.

I live in Waterloo which is about an hour west of Toronto. And it took me about 8 hours to get to Chicago last year.

If you're planning on driving from Chicago to Toronto and doing CW in the same day, that seems pretty unlikely. Unless you drive through the night.

You'll probably need to take a day to drive, and then do the park the next day.

As far as what CW has to offer though ...

Behemoth obviously. After that there's just alot of average rides. CW is a nicely run park that doesn't really do anything bad, nor anything good.

Well I'd say to hit up Wonderland. I could very well be biased because it's my home park, but I still think it's worth a trip, if not for Behemoth alone. If you're planning on spending a while in Toronto, though, you could always also do touristy stuff like the CN Tower and the Eaton Centre as well.

yup idk how we got six hours the first time, but i saw mapquest said eight, and were not going to Toronto for a day, more like four. We're staying at the Glen Rouge Camp grounds.

We've got Canada's Wonderland, the CN tower, Edmenton mall, and we're planning on hitting up clubs. (anyone know the ages for clubs/drinking?)

^You may seriously want to rethink your trip. Several of the things you've posted lead me to believe something VERY bad will go wrong on your trip.

For example, if edmenton mall = West Edmonton Mall

Well, you're about 3500km off.

yup idk how we got six hours the first time, but i saw mapquest said eight, and were not going to Toronto for a day, more like four. We're staying at the Glen Rouge Camp grounds.

We've got Canada's Wonderland, the CN tower, Edmenton mall, and we're planning on hitting up clubs. (anyone know the ages for clubs/drinking?)

Glen Rouge?? I looked it up. That's on the east end of Toronto, closer to Pickering. I think maybe you should look at maps when you're planning trips.

Your drive just became more like 10+ hours. It could take you 1-2 hours to get across Toronto itself depending on the time of the day. Course you could take the 407 around, but that will cost you like $20+ each way.

And the drinking age is 19 here. You won't be getting into any clubs in Toronto.

that's all a span of three days, and the whole trip is nine days, i think we have more than enough time! and my friend told me that the West Edmenton mall, w/e was in Toronto. AGH! we're so screwed! I have to idea what's going on, and we have no idea how much this is going to cost, that's why it's so far away. I'm glad I had you guys to point out all these flaws. HAHA, i feel so stupid!

and paying to get on and off the interstate in Chicago was ridiculous!

Maybe your friend shouldn't be planning your trip.

You can bring cigarettes over for personal use. But not sure what they'll say about 200.

You really don't want to screw with the customs officers. They'll make your life a living hell if you tick them off.

Hey pick me up when you're going on this trip, I live in Omaha as well.Instead of going up to Toronto, why not just go to Sandusky? Only about 5 hours or 6 from Chicago and you can have more fun there, if you're friends like coasters too (Which I'm assuming they do, considering the parks you want to go to.)

lol, she read it from some website. and if you know so much about canada & what not, you think you could spare some time to help me out just a little bit?

I'll give you some advice if you are coming here. Make sure you have proper ID to cross the border (both ways). Check with both the Canadian and US government web sites as to the requirements. You don't want to get the border and find that they will not let you cross. There is a lot of pressure on Canadian Customs and Immigration from the US Government to keep out undesireables. It's a double edge sword, most of the people crossing those borders are US citizens.

I'll give you some advice if you are coming here. Make sure you have proper ID to cross the border (both ways). Check with both the Canadian and US government web sites as to the requirements. You don't want to get the border and find that they will not let you cross. There is a lot of pressure on Canadian Customs and Immigration from the US Government to keep out undesireables. It's a double edge sword, most of the people crossing those borders are US citizens.

Minimum requirement is a birth certificate and goverment issued photo ID. A drivers license alone will NOT get you through. You have to have a birth certificate.

If you have a passport that alone can be used. Passport is the preffered method, and will give you the least hassle.

Also, make sure you know exactly where you're going so that you can answer the customs agent properly. If they see holes in your story, then they will stop you.

For instance if you were to get to customs and tell them you were going to West Edmonton Mall, they would pull you over and question you. Quite possibly deny you entry as they wouldn't believe your story.