TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR members who enjoy shooting - Let's talk about guns.

exit english

Did a search and couldn't find anything, so I figured I'd start a conversation.

Anyone who knows me, knows I enjoy firing a gun from time to time. I have owned a few, but mainly it's always been a handgun.

My personal preference is all things Glock (call me a fanboy, go ahead), though I do enjoy a good Smith and Wesson .357 revolver.

Currently, I own a Glock 23, .40 Semi-Automatic pistol. I used to have a 17 (9mm) but I'm much more of a fan of the .40 for its massive "boom" power.

So, anyone else like to shoot or own any guns you care to share?

Here's what mine looks like:

325px-Glock23_3rdGen.jpg.f163b6f8df0a6af03d899ce3a31388b3.jpg

For those who don't know Glocks, yes - that is a "plastic" handle. It's actually steel reinforced polymer, and it weighs next to nothing.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the point of owning a gun?

Fair enough question, though I don't really "get" the point of the rolling eyes.

Because I like to go shooting. It's a hobby of mine. If we're going down that road, what is the real point in liking roller coasters, or doing anything that you enjoy, right?

I spend an hour or so at the range on a Saturday morning with my dad or some friends, and it's enjoyable.

It's not like I'm going around trying to kill people, but I guess if I ever absolutely *had* to defend myself, I would know how. (I know it'll never happen, but it's better to know what you're doing than not, right?)

Well, considering I searched for the terms "guns", "shooting" and "firing", and nothing came up, I figured I was in the clear.

This also isn't a "favorites" thread, but whatever.

I understand. I've backed out of starting threads just because I found simillar ones doing a search.

I maybe in the military, but I don't own a gun. When I was in Afghanistan, I got to liking the M9 Beretta I carried around, so I might actually get a hand gun in the future.

Actually I like the M16A1. It has good range and can take a beating!

M16A4 is a lot better from the stand point of all the neat gadgets you can now attach to the rifle. Although, I do miss the AUTO setting--BURST is just too short to have any fun.

As for actually taking a beating? Well, AK-47 is much more durable and reliable than the cheaply made M16, especially in desert/dry environments. It does not, however, have the same range and accuracy. (Yes, I have fired an AK-47 once. Still prefer the M16.)

I don't own any guns, but a buddy of mine who is a member of the Ojai Valley Gun Club (here in California) takes me out to a public event there called the "Seven Gun Shoot." You get to shoot your choice of seven different weapons among eight, and the highest score gets to pick a nice prize at the end of the event (during the barbeque).

Target shooting can be fun. There's nothing wrong with that. I personally have no desire to hunt animals, though I don't feel it's wrong provided you eat what you shoot and make use of the hide if at all possible.

Eric

Interesting topic! I've always been fascinated by the one shot western Derringers (sp?). Might own one some day as a display piece.

I'm an archer (by way of martial arts) and enjoy doing that on the weekends. While not the same as a firearm, there is something satisfying about targeting with family or friends and catching up. One friend and I used to regularly go to the local gun and knife show twice a year.

Have wanted to train more in firearms, just so I know how to use one properly (and safely) and further expand the martial arts teaching. Don't really care about collecting guns, becomeing a "minute man" or preparing for doom as the common stereotypes would suggest. Not really in to hunting either, but, like a gun owner, I enjoy shooting targets. That's inanimate targets, NOT people or things, for the literal and ignorant.

Anyway, can relate friend.