TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kemah Boardwalk and Bullet Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And for those expecting it to smooth out as it breaks in... are you insane! It's only downhill from here smoothness-wise. The only thing that will get a bit better is if the banked turns are taken at a better speed, so the banking is justified.

-rastus

I completely agree as this is what I have experienced on it for the first four days. The turns are more smooth on the faster rides, especially in the rain, but the rest of the ride is rougher. Aside from the first seats on the first train there really hasn't been a consistent less rough seat on the train. I was able to sit quite comfortably in 8L for quite a few rides but there was nobody next to me so that made a big difference as well.

-GG

are people really complaining because there doing what you have to do at every major theme park, get off the ride and walk back through the station, even if there is no line?

[\quote] Who's complaining? I was told the policy was 3 rides per rider if NO Rider in your line. Kemah isn't a "Major theme park." I just commented on it, We're lucky they have a policy like that. Since it wasn't in writing anywhere it could change. I simply posted what i encountered that day.

When you ride El Toro, you will not be riding a woodie. I dont want to start the debate over but, riding that actually feels like 100% steel. I dont care if it is considered a woodie but if that same coaster, with the same dimensions and built by the same company and had the same trains but was made out of 100% wood, it would be rough just like the others. I know people say voyage is made the same way but I have never ridden that one but it is next on my list.

El Toro is a woodie. The track is wood, it's just not layered wood, it's a single piece. Voyage is layered wood, and is rough like other woodies... actually, it's rougher.

I agree with you that the new style of wood track (I haven't been on El Toro, but I have been on Colossus in Germany) doesn't feel "right" for a wood coaster. After riding Colossus, I thought it was fun, fast, had shizloads of airtime, etc etc etc... but I was really disappointed. It did NOT feel like a wood coaster, which was what I had stood in line for.

^^ Kentucky Rumbler is phenomenal. Saying it is boring is simply untruthful.

Who the hell made YOU the keeper of the truth? If I found it boring, then that is truth for me. If you did not, that is truth for you. For you to insist that your truth is more valid than mine just makes you seem arrogant.

You could not like it, but if the Rumbler is boring, you must be bored on 90% of all coasters you ride.

I didn't say I didn't like it. It was, in fact, somewhat enjoyable, but I stand by my opinion that it was boring. I thought the layout was uninteresting, I thought a great deal of potential airtime wasn't delivered, and I like a twister to feel a bit more "out of control". Those are just my opinions, but they are valid for ME. I could care less if you agree, but I resent you saying that I'm being untruthful.

"Boring" isn't something that you can validate as true or untrue in general. If I say that a coaster is 100ft tall and it is in fact 150ft tall, then that would be an untruth. When it comes to an opinion such as "boring" or "exciting", then the only way it can be an untruth is if I say it is one thing, but I really thought it was the other. I thought the Kentucky Rumbler was boring. Deal with it.

If you equate "smooth" to "boring", then I guess you hate all steel coasters except Vekomas.

Not at all. Until this year, my #1 coaster was a steelie: the very-smooth Expedition GeForce.

Shivering Timbers is smooth (at least it was when I rode it opening season) and it is high on my list -- ahead of Bullet.

I don't equate "smooth" to "boring." Hell, I got a big kick out of Leap the Dips, which is smooth, plain, and SLOW... but a lot more interesting and fun than Kentucky Rumbler IMHO.

What is it you like in coasters if Kentucky Rumbler is boring? I take it you absolutely loved Voyage? You're bored if the coaster doesn't violently through you around the entire time?

See above "Leap the Dips" comment. What I like in a coaster depends on what kind it is. If it's an out and back, I want floater airtime and lots of it. For a Cyclone, I want falling-off-the-planet drops, heavy laterals, and anticipation-building slow, flat turns. If it's a twister like KR, I want to feel that the coaster is out of control, I want some surprise direction changes, I want to get "lost" in the layout, I want to feel that I need another ride or two in order to figure it all out. KR gave me none of that, and so I found it rather boring. If you read my initial post on this, you'll see that I said "I may be the only one who thinks so..." or something to that effect. I know that KR has its fans. I'm not one of them. The two people I rode it with said it was "OK" but neither of them was in a big hurry to ride it again. Others on the same train LOVED it, so I know we didn't just get it on a sluggish day.

Boardwalk Bullet is hardly boring, but that doesn't make it great.

No, it's great IMHO because it's a twister that does EXACTLY what I want a twister to do. It meets all the things I list above, PLUS it's a truly unique design with a lot of nice touches. It's one of the few "rough" twisters that I could ride 50 times in one day, which I did on Monday. As much as I love the Voyage, there's no way I could go 50 times in 12 hours.

And for those expecting it to smooth out as it breaks in... are you insane! It's only downhill from here smoothness-wise.

I'll mark this on the calendar: I agreed with you on something. Bullet has the potential to become unridable in short order if they don't maintain it well. At the moment, however, it's rough but not too rough. It's wild but re-ridable (there was at least one person who broke the 100-ride mark this weekend). It has everything I want in a wood twister, and when it consistently runs as well as it runs in the rain now, it might even move up another notch or two on my wood list. Right now, it's at #4.

When I rode Bullet I too said it was rough. But rough doesn't necessarily mean bad or making critical statements. I should've said the word "aggressive" instead, so that some won't say that it was like "complaining" or that it was a "complaint". Bullet's roughness is not to the degree where I will never ride it again. I still had a really great time. If I had a great time then how would I be complaining at the same time? Now that I know which seat will work best for me (#8R) and how to handle the track by using upper-body strenght, I will continue to enjoy Bullet's roughness. Today I only have slight discomfort in my back right side. I think it's time to ride again! It's addictive right???

Today sunny, clouds, and calm winds. Crowds picked up towards late afternoon/early evening. No rain and 93 degrees. Train was running okay. No one said how fast it was going. But when not fully loaded it crawls over 3rd hill. I rode the left side the whole time and I must say it was alot better than the right side. I think I rode what ... 20 times??? I feel fine. No major pains. No headache. Just tired. Seat #1L, 5L, 8L, 10L, 12L were great. I never noticed but coming out of the 3rd hill as it bottoms out, the track has like a mini-kink or zig-zag in it.

The trains were running fast and for the past two nights I have gotten in over 20 rides for free because I come down there in my work clothes and they think i work at the boardwalk. To bad that will be coming to end after tomorrow.

Neat. The restaurant workers ban together when its slows down and ride numerous times. They're like high-five'in each other and losing their pens while riding. One rolled past my foot as I got in the car.

Edit: I rode in the seat (8L) right behind this 6ft 250 lb. guy, football player physique, he just barely fit into the car mold. Man alive... THAT WAS A SMOOTH RIDE!

I've been trying for several weeks now to do BB in No Limits.

I'm failing miserably. I'm not that great at NL, but this is making me feel really inadequate.

Has anyone else even tried it? I haven't seen any posts on the NL sites, but I just assumed that nobody was willing to share their awful renditions and be ridiculed.

I'm failing miserably. I'm not that great at NL, but this is making me feel really inadequate.

Has anyone else even tried it? I haven't seen any posts on the NL sites, but I just assumed that nobody was willing to share their awful renditions and be ridiculed.

What is No Limits? I have no clue what ya'll are talking about

I'm pretty sure I know the methods to use to recreate the ride, however I won't do so until I ride BB so I know what the ride feels like and what forces it has, etc.

It starts off like a bull riding event. Gate opens and BAM! In the front seat since the rest of the train is "pushing" the first car, from the first drop to the bay turn is almost like a blurr it happens so fast, before you know it 16 secs later youre on the 3rd hill.

I'm pretty sure I know the methods to use to recreate the ride, however I won't do so until I ride BB so I know what the ride feels like and what forces it has, etc.

It starts off like a bull riding event. Gate opens and BAM! In the front seat since the rest of the train is "pushing" the first car, from the first drop to the bay turn is almost like a blurr it happens so fast, before you know it 16 secs later youre on the 3rd hill.

The bay turn is probably the best part! If you have your hands up it feels like you're gonna touch the wood!

Hey Jim(& everybody else),

Guess what? Somebody made a BB recreation a good while back.

Do you want to see it? Oh, who am I kidding, I know you do.

Download the file here:

http://www.inverter.btinternet.co.uk/TexasGGWoodie.nltrack

It's not perfect, but, it's pretty good considering it was done from just ride stats and drawings before the ride was finished.

Let me know what you think.

-SKCfan

So i went last night and rode twice. Now the first one was just like during the day where it was wild and smooth but the second trp is the one that i will remember for a while. Im not sure if the track was wet still from the rain earlier in the day or perhaps it was that fact that the train was almost empty but it went super fast, I never even heard it click on the turns because we brushed by so fast. Again we were going alot faster it seemed then normal, i say this because at two points of the ride i could see the middl of the train pop up like it wanted off the track. I dont remember it doing that before, infact i think i may have gotten like a few more seconds of airtime as well...so what im saying??? Basically ride the coaster with no one on it and then you will see just how wild this thing is, it moved from my top 6 coaster to my 3rd favorite in one night, sorry i still like MF and X over it.

How were the crowds today?

Hey! It was great meeting you out there tonight! I've run into a lot of TPR people in the past two weeks, we REALLY need to set a date to go out and ride together.

According to the ride operators they had about a 45 minute wait at peak times this last Saturday.

I'm not sure if you rode before and after they oiled the track today but it was a much better ride after. They were running 78 seconds before the oiling. After the oiling it was running probably were it should be running and at least one train I was on ran at 63 seconds. It runs MUCH smoother when it runs faster as well.

I have really fallen in love with seat 2R after 121 rides. It gives the best comfort but also provides for the best ejections. Seat 4R and 6R are on my do not ride list right now, both are getting increasingly violent and don't provide much ejection etc. Of course the back train still provides the best first drop experience and is IMO more tolerable than 4R and 6R. Overall, especially after oiling, the ride is still easily re-ridable in just about any seat and you are able to re-ride about as much as you want on weekdays. At the peak of todays 'crowd' we had about 10 trains that were full or almost full. At the end of the night there were about 5 people on the train. It makes a big difference on the run time as the last train ran about 68 seconds.

-GG

^^ Kentucky Rumbler is phenomenal. Saying it is boring is simply untruthful.

Who the hell made YOU the keeper of the truth? If I found it boring, then that is truth for me. If you did not, that is truth for you. For you to insist that your truth is more valid than mine just makes you seem arrogant.

You could not like it, but if the Rumbler is boring, you must be bored on 90% of all coasters you ride.

I didn't say I didn't like it. It was, in fact, somewhat enjoyable, but I stand by my opinion that it was boring. I thought the layout was uninteresting, I thought a great deal of potential airtime wasn't delivered, and I like a twister to feel a bit more "out of control". Those are just my opinions, but they are valid for ME. I could care less if you agree, but I resent you saying that I'm being untruthful.

"Boring" isn't something that you can validate as true or untrue in general. If I say that a coaster is 100ft tall and it is in fact 150ft tall, then that would be an untruth. When it comes to an opinion such as "boring" or "exciting", then the only way it can be an untruth is if I say it is one thing, but I really thought it was the other. I thought the Kentucky Rumbler was boring. Deal with it.

If you equate "smooth" to "boring", then I guess you hate all steel coasters except Vekomas.

Not at all. Until this year, my #1 coaster was a steelie: the very-smooth Expedition GeForce.

Shivering Timbers is smooth (at least it was when I rode it opening season) and it is high on my list -- ahead of Bullet.

I don't equate "smooth" to "boring." Hell, I got a big kick out of Leap the Dips, which is smooth, plain, and SLOW... but a lot more interesting and fun than Kentucky Rumbler IMHO.

What is it you like in coasters if Kentucky Rumbler is boring? I take it you absolutely loved Voyage? You're bored if the coaster doesn't violently through you around the entire time?

See above "Leap the Dips" comment. What I like in a coaster depends on what kind it is. If it's an out and back, I want floater airtime and lots of it. For a Cyclone, I want falling-off-the-planet drops, heavy laterals, and anticipation-building slow, flat turns. If it's a twister like KR, I want to feel that the coaster is out of control, I want some surprise direction changes, I want to get "lost" in the layout, I want to feel that I need another ride or two in order to figure it all out. KR gave me none of that, and so I found it rather boring. If you read my initial post on this, you'll see that I said "I may be the only one who thinks so..." or something to that effect. I know that KR has its fans. I'm not one of them. The two people I rode it with said it was "OK" but neither of them was in a big hurry to ride it again. Others on the same train LOVED it, so I know we didn't just get it on a sluggish day.

Boardwalk Bullet is hardly boring, but that doesn't make it great.

No, it's great IMHO because it's a twister that does EXACTLY what I want a twister to do. It meets all the things I list above, PLUS it's a truly unique design with a lot of nice touches. It's one of the few "rough" twisters that I could ride 50 times in one day, which I did on Monday. As much as I love the Voyage, there's no way I could go 50 times in 12 hours.

And for those expecting it to smooth out as it breaks in... are you insane! It's only downhill from here smoothness-wise.

I'll mark this on the calendar: I agreed with you on something. Bullet has the potential to become unridable in short order if they don't maintain it well. At the moment, however, it's rough but not too rough. It's wild but re-ridable (there was at least one person who broke the 100-ride mark this weekend). It has everything I want in a wood twister, and when it consistently runs as well as it runs in the rain now, it might even move up another notch or two on my wood list. Right now, it's at #4.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Texcoaster: Think yourself lucky you can ride all these new coasters like the Kentucky Rumbler, due to me living in England I have to suffer any wait to see if a Park is brave enough to install a steel or a decent woodie.

I thank "Oakwood" in Wales for building "Megafobia" but that is a 4.5 hour drive down the M4 Motorway (Highway).

Any UK coaster lovers have to leave the country to ride "Balder",

"Zeus", "Robin Hood" and "Collossus", Apart from "Megafobia" I can say "there are no decent" woodies which have been built in England, the ones in Blackpool (5 hours drive away) don't count cos they are all Out n Back's which were built years ago.

Stop complaining on how they ride, rough or super smooth, savor the moment when your on the train and think to yourself, shame other countries can't have a coaster like this one.

The "Bullet" is brand new, give it chance to break-in, send a letter or email to the company if you think it's to rough and they will put you straight.