TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed.

...have someone pick up whatever pain meds you're prescribed IMMEDIATELY after your surgery is done.

Listen to this dude Rufus, he knows what he's talking about.

When the pain hits (and it will), you'll want the pills that instant. My Mom did the same thing as Dan's and waiting the hour for her to get back with them was agony. Do yourself a favor and get someone to pick them up right away so they are available as soon as you need them.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, after reading what everyone has said, I feel like I really lucked out. I got my wisdom teeth taken out four years ago and I felt absolutely no pain afterward. They knocked me out quickly and the only unpleasant part was feeling a little nauseous from the anesthesia when I got up from the recovery area, so I just lay back for a little longer until I felt okay. But seriously, once I got home, I took one Vicodin for precaution but I don't think I would have needed it--I never felt any pain and the swelling was practically non-existent.

So, Natalie (and anyone else), there is hope for not cowering into fetal position post-surgery for you! My surgeon did a fantastic job (which, I suppose, compensated for his rather cocky and humorless personality). But it seems from the sounds of things in this thread and from other people I've talked with that even if you do experience pain, it's not too excruciating. Good luck!

Well, the right side of my mouth seems fine, it's the left side that's still in a bit of pain and preventing me from closing my jaw the whole way, therefore preventing my long-sought-after consumption of solid food. Ever bite the inside of your cheek? It's kinda like that, but involuntary and constant. The stitches should just be falling out or something within the next few days.

Hang in there man, it gets better. Be careful about cleaning around where the teeth were. Some food got trapped in one of the sockets which led to a post-op infection which wasn't fun.

Oh and if you are worried about getting sick afterwards (I was), tell them that you get sick from the anesthesia - they will mix in some anti-nausea medicine that will keep you from getting sick.

I don't actually think mine were impacted, but they were VERY close. Having all four teeth grow in "NINETY DEGREES!!!" tends to speed up the process.

It's been a week today since I had the surgery and I've moved up to burgers. The only thing stopping me from a near-full recovery is again that cheek thing, but it seems to be going away. On the con side, there seems to be more pain coming, but it's likely not dry sockets and dammit nothing can stop me from having my precious food!

Dan "My greatest gift is metabolism..." Smith

My orthodontist told me 1.5yrs ago to get my wisdom teeth out (only have 2, up top), and I finally went to an oral surgeon to get the "diagnosis". Turns out, they are so high he does not want to touch them. We we will just track them until they start to drop. My dad still has 3 wisdom teeth that are yet to drop, so maybe mine wont...

Loopy Natalie FTW!

Back. I asked for ths street name for this stufff. I don't htink they told me. THen I askef for a coat because they woulnd't give me my teeth back. I'm preallyy thirsty.

Easily one of the best quotes ever haha.

Back. I asked for ths street name for this stufff. I don't htink they told me. THen I askef for a coat because they woulnd't give me my teeth back. I'm preallyy thirsty.

I'm proud to say that I wasn't quite as incoherent on my first day while the drugs were wearing off as Natalie.

Yeah, the blood thing really sucks... you'll learn to get used to the taste of delicious and refreshing gauze for the first 24 hours. Are you eating yet? How's the anesthetic treating you?

Bit of an aside, not meant to scare the ones who have yet to go under... IM'ed my friend who I thought was still in Florida on Monday, but apparently was already home AND got his wisdom teeth out. (I love staying in the loop.) He had a lot worse first 24 than I did; the anesthetic made him vomit up the pain pills AND open his wounds further. He called it the "triple play" of bad reactions but went on to say his Percocet was like the game-winning homer.

EDIT: ^^ Good lord, man, stop overcooking your Colonial hardtack!

^Psh, even better - This is what I posted on my boyfriend's facebook wall:

"HI orbbrie. i'm coverd in blacknets. and ice. and stuaffed with gauze. they woulnd't give mea coat. you need to maryi me. i think 'i'm swalloing blood."

Clarification:

1. His name is Robbie and 2. blacknets=blankets.

I apparently was a little Chatty Cathy for the first 30 minutes or so after waking up. I don't remember much of what I said, but apparently my first words were, "I want whipped cream!" which is weird 'cause that's definitely not my favorite.

Anyway, while my bottom lip is just now regaining feeling in it, I was already starting to feel pain where holes were about 2 hours after surgery. I didn't expect to feel anything THAT fast, and my uncle was still getting my prescription at the time. So I had about 15-20 minutes of some pretty bad pain while waiting for the Rx to kick in once my uncle got it to me. But other than that, it's not been too bad. It's been more gross and annoying than anything. At least the bleeding has slowed down some and the pain meds haven't made me sick. And so far I've been able to have some ice cream and chicken broth.

I'm worried a bit for tomorrow though. I hear the first day is usually fine, and it's the 2nd or 3rd day that can hurt a bit. Hopefully the pain pills will keep working their magic.

ADDED:

283535108_me108.JPG.feef91cd96e216b83a546b2ffad13a6c.JPG

Apparently my aunt took this photo of me after driving me back from the procedure. I don't really remember it. And that blood is DAMN. HOT.

1. "Exclusive photos on the set of Twilight: Actually Worth Watching Now..."

Anyway, while my bottom lip is just now regaining feeling in it, I was already starting to feel pain where holes were about 2 hours after

3. See what I said about that waiting-for-the-person-to-pick-up-the-meds thing? Sucks, doesn't it?

4. My Percocet worked wonders well into the worrying 48-72 hour range, so if ya got good drugs, relax.

5. Those blacknets aren't of the doctor's... DO NOT GET INTO THE VAN

4. My Percocet worked wonders well into the worrying 48-72 hour range, so if ya got good drugs, relax.

I've got hydrocodone, which has worked well with the pain so far, and I've not yet gotten sick, but see this? See how I'm WIDE AWAKE AT FIVE IN THE MORNING? I've probably gotten a grand total of 3-4 hours of intermittent sleep so far, but aren't pain pills supposed to knock me out? I'm not loopy, I'm not buzzed - I'm thankful for the relief but I want to get some sleep!

See, that actually happened to me, too... felt loopy as all hell, fell asleep fine, but it was STAYING asleep that was the real challenge. On the plus side it was almost exact to the clock when I had to take more of said drug about 4-5 hours later...

^I was terrified too - heck, I was sobbing in the chair before they put me to sleep (I asked if that ever happened, and the oral surgeon told me that I wasn't even the first crier THAT DAY), but so far, it's really not been bad (as you can see, it's the day after for me).

Like other people have mentioned on this board, just make sure that you have the pain pills handy BEFORE the pain starts. Any probably take your first one about 2 hours after you get out of surgery. I only needed half a pill plus 3 Ibuprofen to keep the pain at bay.

Yesterday really wasn't bad (though the blood was GROSS), and today is only slightly worse, but not because I'm in pain. My jaw is just quite stiff (I can only open it about 1/2-3/4 of an inch), and slightly sore - but again, I wouldn't call it painful at all. Just annoying, but totally TOTALLY bearable and even shrug-worthy.

I've not had much swelling yet, but that's could be because I followed the instructions to a T about icing my face and keeping my head above my heart at all times (yep, had to sleep propped up on the couch). If you have trouble keeping ice on it, go old-school and wrap a scarf or shawl or something around your face to hold the ice in place. You'll look ridiculous, but at least you won't swell to beach ball size. However, my oral surgeon said that swelling would peak tomorrow, so I might still blow up a bit. But I had another friend who had her teeth out yesterday, and she already looks like a chipmunk. Don't think she followed through with the ice or sitting up parts either.

Anyway, feel free to cry yourself to sleep every night for two weeks leading up to the surgery, because THAT TOTALLY WHAT I DID. And then afterward, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how many tears you wasted over something that wasn't nearly as bad as you were expecting (again, so long as you TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDS, and be sure to take them with some food so you don't get sick).

^I think the amount of bleeding has to do with a lot of stuff. For instance, while all my teeth were impacted, my top two weren't as deep and were coming it at a much more normal angle; whereas my bottom two were a bit further down and at an odd angle and had to be broken to be removed. The bottom two definitely bled more than the top two, and I suspect that's one of the reasons why. I also had a friend in high school who bled for two days straight after her teeth were removed. So I think it also depends on how easily you clot and if you're prone to massive bleeding or not. I've heard that the average person bleeds for quite a few hours post-op, but there's always the lucky few who have one change of gauze and they're done, and the unlucky few who bleed for days afterward.

Natalie, your above post (three up? Stupid carats) sounds exactly like my first-week experience, minus the fact that I was negligent in my icepack-wielding skills and swelled like a chipmunk thusly.

I was totally not even worried about the wisdom teeth aside from the food thing; heck, my biggest fear leading up to the surgery was that I wouldn't get my SFGAm trip report finished before my drugs knocked me out for the next few days after!