TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got those out along with some mollers a few months ago. I got dry socket and was out for a good two weeks....yeah, but the oxycodine helped

I got Dry socket Twice, The first time it was in my two bottom teeth, and the second time it was in my bottom right tooth. NOT FUN

I was out for a week, and spent half days at school for another 2 weeks after i got mine out.

Coasterdude5, Just be sure not to drink out of a straw, or eat from a spoon. All that will do is increase our chances of getting dry socket.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys I know this thread is kinda dead, but I read the first 4 pages and was too tired to read the rest. Anywho, I didn't really find what I was looking for.

So I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday (Monday), and my main question was, how long did y'all wait before you went back to riding coasters. This extraction was kind of unplanned because I woke up Sunday and was in the most pain I had ever been in. I went to the ER and they were like Wow, take those suckers out now. So they scheduled me the next day with an oral surgeon. Came back, got the IV, was on an anesthetic drip. Now, I was told I would fall completely asleep but I never actually did, I would doze on and off and periodically feel them yanking in my mouth. Some parts I could actually feel pain.

Continuing on, I told my surgeon that hey, next Wednesday I'm supposed to be going up to SFGAdv to ride some coasters, what would you say? Yay or nay? He said that I could risk dry socket. Since I got to a naval hospital because my dad is in the Navy he said he would wait 2 weeks before sending a pilot back into the air. Now I had to think, pilots pull WAY more G's than any of us do on coasters, so the chances of my blood clots coming undone would be much less on a coaster. ALSO, I'm a heavy smoker and I was told not to smoke untill 7 days after, also so I don't get dry socket. I'm on the patch right now, just so I don't go ape$hit right now, and trust me, come next monday, I'm having my gosh darn cigarette.

Ok enough talking, my main question is, after you got your wisdom teeth pulled, how long did you wait before you got back on coasters?

Now excuse me if I may while I sit back relax pop some Percocet, 800mg Ibuprofen, and watch season 8 of Will & Grace

Thanks mucho guys.

• 10 months later...

I have to get my wisdom teeth (which are still under the gums) taken out here in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty much pissing my pants in anxiety thinking about it. Does anyone know how it compare to root canals? I've had two of those before, but the procedure was sheer BLISS compared to the pain I was in before they numbed me up - though I was a bit sore for a few days afterward.

^ Not to scare you, but I found getting my wisdom teeth out was a lot more difficult than a root canal. I should say that I did have complications with my procedure which was a little bit out of the norm. I really did look like Brando from the Godfather for a few days. Be super careful to try not to get dry sockets. The cleaning of those really hurt. Though I am not sure how you prevent getting dry sockets.

Not that I can remember. I do not smoke, but it is possible that I may have used a straw. My major complication came from not regaining feeling in my face for almost two months. I did have some nerve damage, but they seemed to repair itself.

My mom had hers taken out with just novocaine and went shopping afterwards.

I'm a wuss so I insisted on getting knocked out (they were also all still impacted). I don't remember much pain, just be sure to take the pain killers they give you afterwards, and you'll feel REALLY messed up from the anesthesia. I had a complication where I got really 'stomach sick' due to swallowing too much blood during the procedure and had to go on more meds to avoid puking and destroying all my stitches!

It sucks, but life goes on and you'll do fine.

Just make sure you go to an oral surgeon (not just a regular dentist) and you'll do great. Some regular dentists will take out wisdom teeth if requested, but they're not always properly trained on what to do if complications arise. I've heard more than a few horror stories that I won't scare you with. But a really good dentist recognizes that he is not skilled enough for wisdom teeth extraction and will refer you to the oral surgeon.

I had my 4 wisdom teeth removed when I was 16 and I can tell you that nobody was more scared about it than me. I was having panic attacks in the days before the procedure. But it really was no biggie. I went to an oral surgeon. They put me in the chair and gave my an IV. My dad was with me and I was petrified and I looked at him and said, "The IV isn't working!" Then, BOOM! I was out. The next thing I remember, I woke up at home in my bed and it was all over. I'm not going to lie, I was in quite a lot of pain when I woke up. But then I took one of those prescription pain pills and it was naptime again. I made it out of bed the next day and resumed life. As others have mentioned, there was a lot of soreness, bruising and swelling, but it all goes away after about a week.

I started my first job 4 days after I had them pulled if that helps you feel any better. If you have any more specific questions, just ask. Good luck!

Just keep talking Erik. You're making me feel sooooo much better with every word you type.

Heh heh heh. I just like to be up front with people. I am not one to try to sugar coat things, but I am sure you will do much than I did.

When I had mine pulled a few summers ago, I didn't have too many problems. Granted, all 4 had broken above the gumline, so I don't know how it'll go when they have to go into the gums to get to the teeth. I was put under anesthesia during the procedure, which I what I would suggest doing. I personally wouldn't have been able to handle being awake and feeling them inside my mouth and hearing the drills running. But once I woke up afterwards, I was really groggy, slept during the drive home, and again for a while once I got back home. Changing the gauze was a little uncomfortable, but nothing too awful. Just be sure to keep them moist - I didn't have any problems with dry sockets. I did eat only soft foods for the next few days, but there's no such thing as too much chocolate pudding in my book. I don't think there's a whole lot to be worried about. Just follow the instructions your surgeon gives you and you should be fine.

^Mine's the 17th, but I have the West Coast trip about 2 1/2 weeks after that, so I have that to look forward to. But I also have to get a couple of fillings repaired and one cavity filled three days after I get back. Blegh. Why do I even bother brushing and flossing? Obviously I just have really sucky teeth.

Let me know how it goes for you!

Will do. As far as I know I'm getting 4 teeth removed, but there's already some problems that might have to get fixed. My braces (off in December '07) have left a nice bulging vein on the inside right of my lips; during the consultation the doc said that if I did so much as bite down on it then it'd take a lot of work to make it stop bleeding. As such, he said he might have to do some surgery on THAT before he even starts taking the teeth out. Dammit.

I got mine out recently in the chair - because it was heaps cheaper and I didn't mind being awake through it - I was actually kind of curious to see how they do it. It was totally fine. I had a bit of local anaesthetic and then they just kinda pulled them out with plier type things. You feel lots of pressure, but the pain is not too bad. I felt perfectly fine, went out to a show that night and work the next day....

Well, it happened. Surgery took approximately an hour this morning. Started by giving me a little bit of laughing gas, which didn't seem to do anything to me in my opinion. It was when they gave me the I.V. for general anesthetic that I was out in under 5 minutes. Woke up about an hour later with some gauze firmly packed where my 4 wisdom teeth had been removed. Apparently halfway through the doctor had to remove his shirt because the last two were extremely difficult and he was sweating so much. (Funny... I just realized now that I never saw him either before or after and never got to thank him for performing the surgery!) Got home and the bleeding took a LONG time to stop... might still be now, I'm not sure. I've been changing the gauze rolls every half-hour or so, with Amoxicillin and Percocet every 4-6 hours. Couldn't get to sleep at first as the numbness started being replaced with pain. I think the worst part so far was the fact that it felt like I had to swallow or spit when I had that much blood, and I a) wasn't allowed to spit for possible reopening of the clot) and b) felt like I was choking a little when I tried swallowing. (There's a T.W.S.S. joke in there somewhere, I'm sure.)

Anyway, if it's any indication, the pain is surprisingly low at the moment, I just ate some pudding, had a nice nap for 2 hours and the surgery was only about 9 hours ago as of this writing... so, Natalie (and others reading), you really don't have a lot to worry about. I'll try updating daily on my condition.

Dan "The hardest part personally will be no solid foods for at least a week =(" Smith

Nope, that was earlier. (Sorry, but it was.) Lesson learned there is to have someone pick up whatever pain meds you're prescribed IMMEDIATELY after your surgery is done; my mom took 2 hours at the drug store waiting for the Percocet and amoxicillin. After that I had aforementioned nap and logged on to TPR lucid as a hippie.

To be honest, I haven't even felt nauseous once yet (and I'm taking an ibuprofen-Percocet-amoxicillin cocktail), and when I say "lucid", I'm actually not all that tired. Heck, I slept through all last night and was awake all day yesterday minus that 2-hour nap immediately after the surgery!

Dan "So far I've been eating pudding and instant mashed potatoes, which i love anyway!" Smith