TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

Here's the three that are nominated for Best Musical Revival.

Interestingly, these are The Only Three Musical Revivals that

actually opened on Broadway this past season! Hmmm.

I have no idea if Carousel is going to do a cast recording, but...Jessie Mueller?

Joshua Henry? Renee Fleming? Lindsay Mendez? ...Are you kidding me???! Do one guys!

OnceOnThisIsland2017.jpg.1378188b95a3c9985fe5d33f69990ba4.jpg

...Was all by it's lonesome Revival self for several months,

before the other two opened in April... one week apart.

myfairlady2018.jpg.0742ad54215bff7155b279f8b10d25d9.jpg

With Dame Diana Rigg (Game of Thrones, The Avengers) in it, as Henry Higgins' mother!

And Lauren Ambrose (remember her in Six Feet Under?) playing Eliza, our heroine.

carousel-revival2018.jpg.7b82feb7d45512f62bac9a25cd284709.jpg

With it's gorgeous opening dance number, "Carousel Waltz" in it.

Edited by Nrthwnd

^ Once on This Island is amazing! My school did last year (wasn't in it cause I got the audition materials the day of, so I was like 'AHA no' which I highly regret to this day).

Was just recently in The Wedding Singer, and it was so much fun. I hope that my school would do Jekyll & Hyde or something like that, I saw it and I was like "I NEED TO DO THIS!" (Fun fact auditioning for a select chorus in my school with Facade from that musical. (((: )

Then coming up this week *even though it's not a musical, but a play* I'll be in The Great Gatsby!

^ The photo's not here, on my site, but Break A Leg tonight!

And I just found out - coming to the movies in September -

For those, like myself, who never saw it live, on Broadway or on tour...

And re-broadcasts of ANGELS IN AMERICA (Both Parts) are coming soon, too.

americaninparis01.jpg.fbb6ef2bcd60bc9ded374d1fa211967d.jpg

Opening night for The Great Gatsby is tonight! Ahhh! I'm so happy, excited, and a lil' nervous.

Photo of me in costume btw! (I DO have dress socks, but not at the time in this photo. )

]

Break a leg DarienPoint!! I bet the reviews will be great!

Alice

^ Opening night went SO well! Nailed all my lines and the character voice (fun fact I have a pretty high voice for a guy, and the character I play is supposed to be dark and ominous, so that was a fun challenge) is coming together. One show down, two to go!

QUOTE<>

"Gorgeous" is a perfect word for the "Carousel Waltz" (and for so much of the score)!  (With great expectations, I saw a revival at Lincoln Center, but sadly, only the beautiful music saved the production from being 'so-so.')

Alice

^ Opening night went SO well! Nailed all my lines and the character voice (fun fact I have a pretty high voice for a guy, and the character I play is supposed to be dark and ominous, so that was a fun challenge) is coming together. One show down, two to go!

Bravo!  Keep acting in all the school plays/musicals you can.  You're not only building great memories, but setting yourself up for all that's ahead!

Alice

QUOTE<>

"Gorgeous" is a perfect word for the "Carousel Waltz" (and for so much of the score)!  (With great expectations, I saw a revival at Lincoln Center, but sadly, only the beautiful music saved the production from being 'so-so.')

Alice

Well, it is the first musical I/we did that re-opened Theatre In The Park, now called Theatre Under the Stars (TUTS).

Only in the chorus, but it wet my stage appetite to try dancing in the next one. And I did. Dancer & Chorus in My Fair Lady (1970)...

And.....I was pretty good at it, lol!

TUTS-HistoryTent2014.JPG.7885e7b90195ba9b3b77f5556ed5b63c.JPG

TUTS History Tent - 2014 - me and the poster for Carousel, 1969.

Bravo!  Keep acting in all the school plays/musicals you can.  You're not only building great memories, but setting yourself up for all that's ahead!

Alice

Indeed I will! There's a summer program in my area that does a musical in July, so I'm looking forward to that. I really wanna go to college for theater arts, so it helps my experience.

QUOTE<>

Alice

Well, it is the first musical I/we did that re-opened Theatre In The Park, now called Theatre Under the Stars (TUTS).

Only in the chorus, but it wet my stage appetite to try dancing in the next one. And I did. Dancer & Chorus in My Fair Lady (1970)...

And.....I was pretty good at it, lol!

I bet it was a spectacular re-opening! And there's no such thing as "only in the chorus!" What made those old shows so memorable was that they were "the whole package." Each performer - layer upon layer of talent - came together to create what is now called Broadway's "Golden Age."

(By the way, NW, I can SO see you as Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady! Any chance of TUTS bringing that old favorite back?? I LOVED doing the role of Louise in Carousel waaaaay back when....but I've "AGED OUT" of the role!

Alice

^ They actually brought "My Fair Lady" back a few times through the decades.

And naw, I'm not too sure Higgins would be a good fit for me. Maybe

Eliza's father, instead? "With A Little Bit of Luck," "Get Me To The Church On Time"

and all that?

IMG_7352.JPG.a67c193f5ae8ee45b9829af2be25c7e6.JPG

Me as The Barker in the pre-show before Oliver! at TUTS, 2015. Put a short hair wig on me

(at this age I am NOT going to cut my hair for the sake of any role) and Alfie Dolittle I is!

^ They actually brought "My Fair Lady" back a few times through the decades.

And naw, I'm not too sure Higgins would be a good fit for me. Maybe

Eliza's father, instead? "With A Little Bit of Luck," "Get Me To The Church On Time"

and all that?

YES!!!! ALFIE! Perfection!

I'm getting married in the morning!

Ding dong! The bells are gonna chime.

Alice (PS. Loved your photo!)

Great Interview available, with Lauren Ambrose (Eliza) on http://www.broadway.com about "My Fair Lady".

And they will be releasing another compilation of excerpts Broadway musicals (and Play excerpts

from 2 plays, in this one, too!) from this past season. Available just a couple of days before

the TONY Awards on Sunday, June 10th....

https://www.amazon.com/2018-Tony-Awards-Season-Various/dp/B07CXC36MR

I think the play (revival) excerpts will be the most interesting, from "Angels In America"

and "Children Of A Lesser God," both nominated for Best Revival of a Play. AiA is the

odds-on favourite to win it. But you never know with the TONYs.

And it was nice of them to include something from "Margaritaville," since it got

absolutely NO TONY NOMS whatsoever.... But one song's here, and that's great!

Musicals NEWS UPDATE! They also just announced, that the current revival of CAROUSEL

will indeed, get it's own cast recording. And that's awesome, too!

TonyAwards2018.jpg.719698244a480ad75f64a2dd1382c0f5.jpg

NOTE: Not all musicals will be represented with recent recordings. Usually, a past cd's track

is used, like last year's CD for "Sunset Boulevard" and "Cats" (both revivals) last year.

Great Interview available, with Lauren Ambrose (Eliza) on http://www.broadway.com about "My Fair Lady".

And they will be releasing another compilation of excerpts Broadway musicals (and Play excerpts

from 2 plays, in this one, too!) from this past season. Available just a couple of days before

the TONY Awards on Sunday, June 10th....

https://www.amazon.com/2018-Tony-Awards-Season-Various/dp/B07CXC36MR

I think the play (revival) excerpts will be the most interesting, from "Angels In America"

and "Children Of A Lesser God," both nominated for Best Revival of a Play. AiA is the

odds-on favourite to win it. But you never know with the TONYs.

And it was nice of them to include something from "Margaritaville," since it got

absolutely NO TONY NOMS whatsoever.... But one song's here, and that's great!

Musicals NEWS UPDATE! They also just announced, that the current revival of CAROUSEL

will indeed, get it's own cast recording. And that's awesome, too!

MANY THANKS, NW, for sharing this info! I'll be checking out those websites - and am very curious to see which play wins Best Revival. Hard to beat "Angels In America," but "Children of a Lesser God" is worthy competition. (My cousin JUST saw the revival and raved about it.) I haven't been to either show for a "few years" - but both were genuinely amazing! Drama at its best.

(GREAT news about the current CAROUSEL recording. I can never have TOO MANY recordings of CAROUSEL!)

Alice

NEWS! The new revival cast cd of "Carousel" has just been listed on Amazon.com ~ release date: July 13th.

btw - The "wrinkles" on the cover of the cd, are to make it look like

a show poster that's been put up on a wall or building, etc. Neat, huh?

carousel-revival2018.jpg.19ca6d849e49152b26f34d12ff9fe49e.jpg

Looking forward to hearing this revival's version of it.

Not really a musical... But close enough...

I'm trying to convince my partner to let us take a weekend trip out to Vegas to see Celine Dion while she is still out there preforming!!

She is so AMAZING!!

NEWS! The new revival cast cd of "Carousel" has just been listed on Amazon.com ~ release date: July 13th.

btw - The "wrinkles" on the cover of the cd, are to make it look like

a show poster that's been put up on a wall or building, etc. Neat, huh?

Sooooo cool! What a great artistic touch!

I was in a taxi, today, whizzing past Lincoln Center, and I saw the huge poster/flags for My Fair Lady. Made me smile BIG-TIME!

Alice

^ I am starting to get a kick out of listening to new recordings of classic musicals,

being revived, with casts of actors I know, from the present day. I still have my

LP record collection ~ with nearly 400 records in Opening Date order ~ with those

classics. But I rarely liked them, back then, and even now. But the new CDs are

opening my ears to really awesome orchestrations and lush sounds, both real

instrumental and electronic...cal.

(Props to "Popular"/Wicked)

P.S. We just saw both parts (onscreen) of Angels in America, London cast. Awesome production and actors!

But - they previewed a (possible) return screening of FOLLIES. Near the end of summer...or into the fall?

I forget. And it only came up on Tuesday, before "Millenium Approaches".

BTW... We - LOVE - Andrew Garfield! Amazing actor. And all we knew of him, was as the 2nd Spiderman!

Anyway, worth looking into at your end, if you want to try and see it?

I may even go again, heh.

FolliesBrdwycover.jpg.f703e8597110e327a860c1a2cbd30b00.jpg

Still, I still love listening to this one, over and over again.

My all-time fave. Opened in 1971.

Click on this to see a GREAT episode of NY Channel 1's Theater Talk.  Includes a video of an interview and some songs by CAROUSEL's Joshua Henry and Jessie Mueller!!  THOSE VOICES!   OMG!  Talk about "heart-stirring" - wow!  They take you on quite an emotional journey.  Enjoy.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Theater-Talk-Tony-Nominees-Jessie-Mueller-Joshua-Henry-Sing-from-CAROUSEL-20180529

Alice

^ Great! And there's a http://www.Broadway.com interview with all five TONY nominees

(the most acting noms for any one play or musical this year!) from "Carousel". It's great, too.

carousel-revival2018a.jpg.f3dadc4e03324b52aa29bb03c3d15749.jpg

Renee Fleming, Joshua Henry, Jessie Mueller, Alexander Gemingnani and Lindsay Mendez.

AllThatJazz-book.jpg.c473e73c0d2cdfb448ea7be9331e2e28.jpg

Forgot to add: My newest book to read. All about my

all-time fave Musical Stage/Movie ~ I saw it on Broadway

in March, 1976 AND onscreen 19 Times, Jan-April, 2003!

^ Great! And there's a http://www.Broadway.com interview with all five TONY nominees

(the most acting noms for any one play or musical this year!) from "Carousel". It's great, too.

Ethan Mordden's ALL THAT JAZZ

Forgot to add: My newest book to read. All about my

all-time fave Musical Stage/Movie ~ I saw it on Broadway

in March, 1976 AND onscreen 19 Times, Jan-April, 2003!

NW - Thanks. Saw the CAROUSEL interview with the 5 Tony nominees. Such articulate, funny and generous performers! What I LOVE about this production (from the scenes shown) is just how GOOD these actors are. Their acting skills are a total complement to their amazing voices! Such 'natural' performances with such real depth!

Thanks also for your book recommendation - ALL THAT JAZZ. Definitely up my alley! (Shubert Alley!)

Alice

Tonight was opening night of Rent at the Dr. Phillips Center here in Orlando. It was my first time seeing the show and didn’t really know a lot about it going in. It’s definitely a show that’s thought provoking, emotional while also being a lot of fun. I thought it blended humor and serious moments very well. The cast did a great job, especially nailing those more emotional moments. The set design and visuals were stunning, really brought you into the story. I can definitely see why it still resonates with audiences 20 years later.

From the offical website:

In 1996, an original rock musical by a little-known composer opened on Broadway… and forever changed the landscape of American theatre. Two decades later, Jonathan Larson’s RENT continues to speak loudly and defiantly to audiences across generations and all over the world. And now, this Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award®-winning masterpiece returns to the stage in a vibrant 20th anniversary touring production. A re-imagining of Puccini’s La Bohème, RENT follows an unforgettable year in the lives of seven artists struggling to follow their dreams without selling out. With its inspiring message of joy and hope in the face of fear, this timeless celebration of friendship and creativity reminds us to measure our lives with the only thing that truly matters—love.

Measure

Rent runs now through June 10th at the Dr. Phillips Center.

1BC1B6AA-D98C-4811-8F4E-EF48D452E2C4.thumb.jpeg.40f42a1dc008690767426280d5c0a971.jpeg

53F4987A-80A6-448D-A45D-A28B8FAB45BE.thumb.jpeg.defec965ae291ddb1fa9cceaa7525852.jpeg

AC9FB6A4-6AAD-4630-A411-6B2094B72F59.thumb.jpeg.2a9f9e77c8d893d73cb08986b0acfb48.jpeg

C04B7DAD-7DFB-4847-BDB8-508380BD5F57.thumb.jpeg.bd099c3a217c5921ae3f17bd87a0911e.jpeg

E55D0B0A-D3B5-433B-A571-5F54A86D80A0.thumb.jpeg.190dc58b8a722f54027b75ba8db3e62b.jpeg