TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

AstroWorld's Greezed Lightnin???? What is going on with it?

I hope that the park is able to find a suitable location for this GREAT ride and if not, hopefully they will put it back on the market rather than just let it rust in some field.

As a tribute to this awesome Schwarzkopf ride I present this youtube video of when I was a ride operator on Greezed Lightnin. I was able to get some great angle and shots of the ride from areas that others were not allowed to access.

Hopefully this ride will be up and running again soon!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went to joylands website to try and find an update and its been covered up! I emaild them to find out what is going on with it and here is the reply

Due to our soil conditions we have put the Greezed Lightnin project on hold. We have had soil tests done in another area and they look much better. We hope to be in a position to continue the coaster within the next few years. We hope to have the drop tower ready to open May. Thank you for your interest in our park

interesting... anyone else think this coaster may never open at joyland?

^^ I am beginning to have my doubts. The longer they sit exposed to the elements, rusting away in some field, the more expensive it becomes to refurbish them...ie: Excaliber, Batman: the Escape, UltraTwister, all the rides at Old Indiana.

Plus if the soil is the problem the only way to overcome that is to beef up the foundations. That can be a pretty big cost to a park the size of Joyland.

• 1 year later...

Well I've got a report on this ride, sort of. I caught about 3/4th's of a story about it, and can't seem to find anymore information online. Basically nothing has changed. Joyland is still having problems with the soil being unstable due to recent rains. Not sure what rain they're talking about, we really only had a single significant storm in terms of accumulation last year (though it did produce 11 inches of rain in a single day). The report said that the park is saying that they hope to have the coaster open and running for the start of the 2010 season.

So not much of an update I guess, just confirming everything we know and dragging it out one more year. I may have missed some more important information in the part of the report I missed, but I doubt it. I'm only going to be in Lubbock for 1 more year, so I'm hoping this thing opens next year (though not counting on).

I wonder if the time will come where they simply try and sell the ride to another buyer. The spent $100,000 on it, which is a lot to spend for a park like that if they just plan to let it rust in the parking lot.

Soil issues are a real pain. I know a plot of land near me that's been traded between developers for years. Each tries a different solution to fix the soil so something can be built, but each has apparently failed. The park is probably making an honest effort to build this, but it's not like they have a whole lot of options if their one spot is no good.

^^ You should definately make an MGA-style Tidal Wave sign to go with it.

That would be great! I've always wanted to ride Tidal Wave, and this would be a good chance of doing it while still named that. I suppose I could always go to Kentucky though...

Crazy that Astroworld closed 3 1/2 years ago and not 1 of their coasters is running in another park but Geauga Lake closed 1 1/2 years ago and 5 of their coasters are up and running in other parks.

Geauga Lake also had a lot more coasters that were in good enough condition to be easily relocated and reopened. Other than Mayan Mindbender and Serial Thriller, the coasters at Astroworld would have all required heavy refurbishing to get them up and running somewhere else.

Crazy that Astroworld closed 3 1/2 years ago and not 1 of their coasters is running in another park but Geauga Lake closed 1 1/2 years ago and 5 of their coasters are up and running in other parks.

Geauga Lake also had a lot more coasters that were in good enough condition to be easily relocated and reopened. Other than Mayan Mindbender and Serial Thriller, the coasters at Astroworld would have all required heavy refurbishing to get them up and running somewhere else.

I'm guessing it had more to do with the corporate owners rather than the conditions of the rides. AstroWorld's rides could have easily been incorporated into other Six Flags parks and successfully marketed if Six Flags (at that time) had the creativity and leaders they have in place now...

...Come to think of it, if they had the creativity and leaders they have in place now I think AstroWorld would still be around.

But doesn’t SFDK still have Tidal Wave/Greased Lightning in storage or was it sent to SFKK to be used as parts for Tidal Wave/Greezed Lightning?

Not sure if I'm the one confused here, but the Greezed Lightning this thread is talking about was the one at Six Flags Astroworld, which is now in storage at Joyland in Lubbock, TX.