TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Bekham leaves Real Madrid

Real

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this pretty much stunned me. When the MLS passed the new rule allowing for an exception to the salary cap, I didn't actually expect them to be able to lure in anybody. But sure as the world, they pulled it off. I think its great for the MLS though. I'm stoked about it.

It's enough to get me interested in driving to Columbus this summer to finally see a game. I'd love to see a few more moves like this.

^ Worse then extreme Ironing?:)

I would of preffered that he went to a club that wasn't LA Galaxy. They already have Landon Donavon, so this sort of adds to there star list. Infact, i would of rathered he stayed out of the MLS, despite my support for the league. Especially, i would of preffered he went to a club like Colorado Rapids or COlumbus Crew, but i guess that will never happen.

I hope to play in the MLS, if i ever have a career in Soccer, which is looking unlikely.

Thats good for the MLS who would like to lure more stars like that to their league. Who are the other two athletes that are paid higher than him?

They would be Tiger Woods and Michael Schumacher.

Am I the only one who finds these 'wages' sickening?

Maybe it's just the jealousy talking.

^ Well, in the defense of the Red Bulls, the team was bought by the Red Bull company. Frankly, I'm really happy with the news, not because a high profile player is coming to the United States to play soccer, but because Beckham is leaving Madrid which frees up a spot on the squad for someone new to come in. Also, this is a brilliant move for Beckham and for the MLS because when I went to see Colombia play England in a friendly at Giants Stadium in NJ, I would venture to guess that over half of the people attending the game where there to see David Beckham.

^ Well, in the defense of the Red Bulls, the team was BOUGHT by the Red Bull company.

I think you missed the sarcasm.

Anyway, I just looked over the contract he signed. It breaks down like this:

Payment based on skill: $1,000,000/ year

Payment based on looks: $51,000,000/year

Eh, more power to him though. His salary isn't any different than some of the worthless actors that'll be living next door to him soon.

Scott "somewhere, Maria Sharipova feels underpaid right now" B.

No youre not! What on earth does a person with as much money as Beckham need such high wages for? He says hes not going to MLS for the money, so how hes got the conscience to accept that amount of money is beyond my understanding.....

The same goes for mostly all celebrities....

Weird... I just got out of my car just a minute ago after listening to a story on NPR about Beckham playing for the Galaxy.

Honestly... He freak'n awesome!!! And I think he'll do a lot for MLS. In ways of selling more seats to games either home or away. People in the US are starting to get hooked on the sport. I know I have. He'll only enhance the image of soccer here in the states.

The thing that sucked about the NPR story was that they mentioned that he's married to Posh Spice. So they ended the story with a brief sound bite from a Spice Girls song.

Made me cringe

To be honest LA Galaxy have just gotten themselves a raw deal. Beckham is still a good football player but he is way past his glory days which is highlighted by his recent poor performance in the world cup which resulted in him being dropped from the team completely by the new England coach Steve McClaren. But the LA lifestyle will probably suit David and Victoria better anyway!

No youre not! What on earth does a person with as much money as Beckham need such high wages for? He says hes not going to MLS for the money, so how hes got the conscience to accept that amount of money is beyond my understanding.....

The same goes for mostly all celebrities....

Of course, it's not a matter of need. But, Beckham is a huge name that'll do a lot for the league. I guess he figures he might as well get some of the money he's bringing into the league. Otherwise it'll all go to the team owners. Why single out athletes anyway? They're small potatoes compared to some other people out there.

Since the MLS is big on picking up has-been european footballers right now, they should pick up Zidane. He's an excellent player, and we'll get all kinds of awesome headbutting antics on YouTube.

On the day that they announced he was going to play for the galxy, i think they sold somwhere along the lines of 2,000 season passes.

so, that is why he gets paid so much, because he brings people to the games.