TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New study states humans live far beyond planet's means

ScOtT k

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really think this is anything new. It is something that has been talked about for a while, but not a lot of people decided to believe it. Now that there is a very real and potential problem on the way, people are starting to take notice, but our society is so used to using the resources and can only funtion through using our resources at an insane rate, we can't do that much about it.

I'm still waiting for the big ice age that was predicted in the 1970s. Not to mention the population bomb predicted in the 1960s. I don't put any stock into this stuff.

It's undeniable that the human population cannot grow indefinitely. The question is at what point do we reach the carrying capacity of the Earth. Technological advances would possibly augment this a bit, but there is still a breaking point. The WWF seems to think we're already over it.

We've still got nuclear, solar, wind, tidal, hydro etc...

Solar,wind,tidal, hydro don't produce all that much power, and definetly will never be a primary source of power.

Nuclear is a strong source, however comes with a very big risk.

Not to mention the amount of time, energy and money that it will take to convert everything over to these kinds of energy.

I wish we started thinking about all of this earlier. I blame the United States government, thank you very much.

People used to not live very long...if you were 50 years old, you were considered very old. Now that some people live to be twice that age, the planet can't seem to handle it. Also the earth's population being 4x what it was in the 1950s (I think I'm getting that right) is creating problems.

Life expectancy is still something like that in many parts of the world. If you lived 10,000 years ago, life expectancy was something like 24 years.

I'm still waiting for the big ice age that was predicted in the 1970s. Not to mention the population bomb predicted in the 1960s. I don't put any stock into this stuff.

It's undeniable that the human population cannot grow indefinitely. The question is at what point do we reach the carrying capacity of the Earth. Technological advances would possibly augment this a bit, but there is still a breaking point. The WWF seems to think we're already over it.

I agree there is a breaking point, I just don't put stock into scare tactics from outfits like WWF, Greenpeace, etc... Most everytime you hear about the world's problems, it's the US' fault. It isn't! I am not going to be put on a guilt trip because of problems in some third world dump! Like I originally said, I am still waiting for the big ice age to hit.