TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

ingenur buro stengel Gmbh???

Um...yeah...so i've been seeing a lot of coasters designed by ingenur buro stengel gmbh, which seems to be the main designer for Intamin, but also a lot of other random coasters like some B&M's, Son of Beast, etc. I'm pretty sure it's Werner Stengel's company and I know he designed Son Of Beast. If this is the designer for Intamin, then is Intamin only a ride building company? Also, is Werner Stengel still alive? Want some info on Ingenieur Buro and werner stengel please[/u]

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure that Stengal designs most of the rides you see his name on, I think he/his firm does track calculations and such. As redfoot said, it's a consulting firm. However, he does do the design of Intamin coasters.

The Stengel work includes:

- layouts

- track calculations

- support calculations

- statics

- dynamics

- train calculations

- design of new elements

- design of new building techniques

etc.

They (the Stengel company today consists of about a dozen engineers, lead by Andreas Wild, the son-in-law of Werner Stengel) didn't do all of that for every ride they have worked on !

Most rides only have another calculation, with some minor improvements. Or only the support-placement for example.

For B&M however, they usually did do everything. They even gave B&M the coördinates to manufacture the box track.

But as of 2002 (Air was the first non-Stengel B&M) B&M is more independent. Silver Bullet, Black Mamba, Hydra -> all pure B&M coasters. To my opinion, the newer rides are less intense, yet sometimes a little more rough.. Not much, as the B&M track production and rolling stock is world class, but you can feel it's not as perfectly calculated as by Stengel.

Fun fact, for Vekoma, they reduced the G-forces of their prototype corkscrew (back in the eighties) from 2.5G to 0.6G !! As Stengel commented "It's like the ride was moved to another planet."

They also worked on Rock'n'RollerCoaster and the Paris' Big Thunder Mountain trains. Vekoma however never really worked with Stengel in the design and full-calculation department. As you probably all felt.

Some famous non-B&M rides where Stengel pretty much did everything: Super 8, Wild Cat, Bobbahn, Jet Star, Marienkäferbahn (the famous 88-like layout beetle coasters), Revolution (SFMM), Shock Wave (SFOT), Looping Star, Zweifach Looping, Dreier Looping, Thriller, Olympia Looping, Mindbender (Edmonton), Euro Star, Wilde Maus (Mack mice), Monte Makaya, Stratosphere High Roller, Mister Freeze, Batman & Robin, Millennium Force, Speed, Top Thrill Dragster, Colossos, Expedition GeForce, El Toro, etc.

Doctor Stengel himself also invented tons of stuff...such as:

- bobsled-inspired banked curves resulted in the Schwarzkopf Jet Star

- heartline to design coasters

- the space curve (Raumkurve), first used in Z-Force (Giovanola-Intamin wanted a ride where riders drop in a tight space from level to level...but using norma track-twisting or even heartlines, this would no be possible...the space curve was invented where the car moved like a motorcyclist in a curve...sideways, forwards and towards the outside of the curve)

- boxtrack (1000 points coordinates) (was needed for the space curve)

- launch systems (weight drop, flywheel, magnets)

- the first clothoid (aka drop shaped) looping

- the first decent corkscrew

- dive loop

- Immelman

- zero-g-roll

- recently the prefabricated wooden track

What many people don't know is that doctor Stengel also "worked" on hundreds of other rides:

- caroussels (90 types, 600 built, over 50 improved: Bayernkurve, Calypso, Monster, Zeppelin, Wave Swinger, Walzerfahrt, Round-Up, Ski-Lift, Buggy Swing, Twister, Apollo, All-Round, Alpenblitz, Raupe, Enterprise, Hollywood-Star, Katapult, Helios, Musikexpress, Wikingerschiff, Kettenflieger, Shuttle-Boat, Condor, Galaxy, Zugspitzbahn, Polyp, Taumler, Doppel-Tagada, Horse Caroussel, Water Caroussel, Spinne, Moonraker, Magic Carpet, Tokaido, Dschunke, Columbia, Fliegende Untertasse, Canyon Trip, Matterhorn, Joker, Mistral, Doppeldecker, Metroliner, Drachenflug, Super Flip, Super Wellenflier, Krinoline, etc.)

- bumper cars (6 types, over 30 built)

- ghost trains (14 types built, 2 improved)

- ferris wheels (22 types, 33 built, 15 improved)

- water rides (8 types, 9 built, 6 improved)

- monorails (7 types, 7 built, 7 additional designs)

etc.

Im with BDG.

Stengle is the company that makes it happen. The designers do the squiggle and Stengle turn it into reality.

All power to them.

I read somewhere else that Stengle has been involved in around 70% of the best coasters. Its pretty interesting that they work for the big 3 - BM Intamin Vekoma. Must make for intersting confidentiality clauses in contracts.