142 members have voted

1. 1. Naming Contest Finals Voting Poll

• AXIS by ECZenith
    • KamiKaze by wrebbit
    • Adrenaline by Airtime&Gravity
    • Night Owl by Erik Johnson
    • Hawk by nitrorider
    • Eclipse by Colincoon

Thank you. I'll do that. I'm going to draw up something that includes a 90 degree turn, a 45 degree turn, a hill, and a car and do this. If it fails I'll design a new layout ( which I might do). Right now I feel kind of wierd posting those pics, but hey, it could be counted as a basic idea of what I want to do, right?

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's some update about the project:

Instead of a 1 inch equals 10 ft scale I'm going with a 1 3/4 inch equals 12.5 ft scale (I know it's strange, but the track width looked right at that size).

Before I create the main model I am going to build a test model which will include a drop, zero-G roll, 90 degree turn and 45 degree turn. I do this to find out where I loose the most speed, loose the less speed, how the coaster will perform, etc.

I'd like to thank chaos for remining me to create a test model because if I wouldn't have this project would've been going down the drain. Just to let everyone know I am new to creating model roller coaster from scratch, I did have a k'nex coaster, but that you build with instructions.

If anybody has comments, questions, opinions about this project just post it here.

1711950749_DSCF0362(665x499).jpg.1802b133f319d971b82a15cc34da3c12.jpg

Here's a better pic.

1342834902_DSCF0361(665x499).jpg.552e9435c7ee66a857da99085a8ea249.jpg

Simply this test model isn't going to be a circuit, it will just show me how the ride will perform and what not to do.

Thank you rollermonkey, you don't how much that helps me! You practically photographed the whole train assembily for me!

The rails and track supports are going to be 1/4 in dawl rods that are going to be bent into the track shape. I heard that if wet it it's bendable.

not sure quite exactly where you are in school, however, a project of this magnitute involves a litle more than good imagination. As a 5th year student in a double major in architecture and mechanical engineering, your project is nearly out of MY capabilities. I don't meen to discourage you, however, there is a hell of a lot more than drawing it out and making a few models. Just as a heads up, you will not be able to construct your rails out of wooden dowels, sure, wetting them will allow you to bend them, but to affix and maintain shape in the track will be nearly impossible with wood, AND, the friction on wood will be immense. There are alot of other factors that are involved in this type pf job. Again please, dont be disouraged, however it takes years of not only drafting expirience(CAD or non) and amazing engineering skills to really make your project tangible. As others have stated before, try construcing this model first in "no limit" (or similar) and make it to scale there, there you can figure out elevations and plan specifics...THEN try to tackle the 4th-D(X-rail) as it adds limiltless design specifics and problems. SERIOULSY!!-- your project is that of an upper level grad student, and by the looks of your drawings you don't seem to have any drafting, let-alone, engineering schooling. not to call you foolish but... BUT by all means, do whats necessary and accomplish your feat! feel free to PM me and, i might be able to further explain the dilemmas in this project.

I'm back! After a break I thought about all the posts and I changed the layout to make it shorter but sweeter! I also thought of adding some sponsers to the ride like TPR (I might need to ask for permission from Robb on this). Here's the walkthrough of the ride:

The car drops out of the station going into the Jojo roll and making a left U-turn and climbing a tall lift-hill. At the top, the car flips over and does a Immelmann Drop.

The car goes speeding along a straightaway and does 2 90 degree right hand dive loops. Next, you go speeding into a righthand turn under the Jojo roll.

Following that is a 90 degree turn and into a tunnel under the station. After that is a Zero-G-roll and a 90 degree banked dive into an immelmann. In the inverted position, you glide along a short straight away and into another 90 degree banked dive.

Doing a long right-hand turn, you then flip back over in a Fly to Lie. After crossing under a point where the track crosses over 4 times, you do a banked rise. Following that is a 90 degree banked helix going up and a 3/4 quarter 90 degree helix going down into the brake run.

After going to the Bloomsburg fair and looking the rides, more ideas came to me. Don't forget to try to name the ride on http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29509 . Now to the pictures!

377964078_DSCF0401(665x499).jpg.e9a21f9151e6f87326be2abd5baeab5f.jpg

Another view.

1282600910_DSCF0400(665x499).jpg.cec00a77c739f5c01898dd49f74cd2ac.jpg

A Closer view. Note: The dots with lines are supports.

1372382328_DSCF0399(665x499).jpg.d5e40c1897cc9b20107e540b3e64aa85.jpg

New layout over view.

not sure quite exactly where you are in school, however, a project of this magnitute involves a litle more than good imagination. As a 5th year student in a double major in architecture and mechanical engineering, your project is nearly out of MY capabilities. I don't meen to discourage you, however, there is a hell of a lot more than drawing it out and making a few models. Just as a heads up, you will not be able to construct your rails out of wooden dowels, sure, wetting them will allow you to bend them, but to affix and maintain shape in the track will be nearly impossible with wood, AND, the friction on wood will be immense. There are alot of other factors that are involved in this type pf job. Again please, dont be disouraged, however it takes years of not only drafting expirience(CAD or non) and amazing engineering skills to really make your project tangible. As others have stated before, try construcing this model first in "no limit" (or similar) and make it to scale there, there you can figure out elevations and plan specifics...THEN try to tackle the 4th-D(X-rail) as it adds limiltless design specifics and problems. SERIOULSY!!-- your project is that of an upper level grad student, and by the looks of your drawings you don't seem to have any drafting, let-alone, engineering schooling. not to call you foolish but... BUT by all means, do whats necessary and accomplish your feat! feel free to PM me and, i might be able to further explain the dilemmas in this project.

I actually would also caution you to not bite off more than you can chew. But by all means, we all want to see this thing built, I'm sure! IMO I wouldn't have my final grade hang on something of this magnetutde though, unless you get graded on the effort...

-James Dillaman

Well I'm not going to just throw something together and not think about physics! I met with a teacher on Friday and he told me a lot of good info and and to talk with one of the physis teacers there. He in addition gave me 2 amusement park videos to help me. So far they're very helpful.

Last night I started drawing up the cars. There will be 1 seat per side to reduce the width of the cars. I'm also trying to figure out how to link the cars. I am sort of thinking of using the linking system like the K'nex coaster cars have or just using magnets.

Also don't forget that you can name the ride. Please post your questions and or comments here.

-Chris-

Great new! I've drew up the coaster vehicle! Remember that this NOT the final draw-up for the cars, I'll do it on AutoCAD. I looked at NoLimits, but I'm wondering if they have the multi-dimension coaster model on the program or on an update. Could somebody answer this for me? Pics coming in a couple minutes.

-Chris-

Here are the pictures of the car design. Enjoy!

2139873555_DSCF0417(665x499).jpg.b5e7c74b7127e81e0906b01e67558abe.jpg

Here's a better picture.

452489771_DSCF0413(665x499).jpg.361a651f54fa6e1e447357c4e6ce37cf.jpg

The front view is going to be more detailed because those dotted lines are where the name of the ride and sponsers go.

1217720573_DSCF0412(665x499).jpg.74d49b1a8581a97d6109d0021851f5c2.jpg

This is a close-up of the side view. Take notice I changed the connection system to using a simple piece of rope and tieing it together, going through the two holes.

2107268543_DSCF0408(665x499).jpg.9ff720752162ad8d6ef397c937ee1600.jpg

After I do some sketching, I move to the graph paper to lavyout the measurements. Since each grid square is 1/4 inch I can draw the actual size of the car.

1052007351_DSCF0407(665x499).jpg.a306355e5779c29fb8ad3389a2b00518.jpg

This a basic draw-up of the cars without the arms. I do this so I can get an idea of what should I draw on the graph paper.

Somehow that was what I was thinking when I was drawing it! Actually it's neither, I just wanted to spice the car up so it wouldn't look too boring.

Maybe if it had some name that reflected an animal, I could have the car look like that. That would be cool!

If you have any ideas for the name of the coaster post them on http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29509&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

-Chris-

hey man imo what you are doing is amazing and something that probably something that most memers on this website has always wanted to do.

i would suggest you use autoCAD it's easy to use when you get the hang of it plus when you are finished designing smething it look pretty impressive.

can i ask what class or major you are doing this project for?

What I'm doing this for isn't exactly a class or major, it's something that must involve some kind of learning. You had the option of doing community service, documenting 1 or 2 classes for 2 years or you could of done something creative. I wanted to do something that I like and also I wanted to educate people on how coasters work and the physics behind them.

I have finally figured out how to do the braking system! It will require no power source like electric, just a flick of a switch! It will use a rope and pulley system! It will work like this.

Lets say a brake is closed and you want to open it. You flip the switch from OPEN to the CLOSED slot. On the bottom of the switch is a rope. The rope moves foreward and the puleys ajust to the reaction. On the other end the rope is connected to one of the brake fins on the track. At that second the brake closes.

This was one of the problems big I have been having. All the switches for the brakes and motors will be put on to one control board.

959327496_DSCF0418(665x499).jpg.435b0c404319a93553853f902c97ed65.jpg

A draw-up of the system.

I did study electronic circuits in school last year, but becides that I don't have that much experience. I think I'll talk to one of the teachers about this, they might be able to help me. My biggest concern is the project catching fire!

Honestly how old are you? Becaue I must be honest you are way outof your league. It was hard enough for me to build my woodie which I am still working on. Then for a science class I made a Shuttle loop that actually launched! It was completely made of plastruct and balsa with a lego car. That was the hardest thing ever as I only had 3 weeks! Both are "G" gauge, but sadly my shuttle loop was thrown out because of room.

BTW for reference I will let you use my design for the track but you will need to modify it for your idea. If you want pics of my modles PM me I will send them to you if you want.