TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Pizza Anyone?

Ryan King

What Is YOUR Favorite Pizza Provider?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What Is YOUR Favorite Pizza Provider?

• Me N Eds
    • Pizza Hut
    • Dominos
    • Papa John's
    • California Pizza Kitchen
    • Round Table
    • Little Caesars
    • Ma & Pa Pizza Place (Independantly Owned)
    • Other - Not Listed

Another Sicilian/Detroit hybrid from last night... However, after another trip to NYC recently for 'research', one of the prevalent flavors in more of my favorite slices (Joe's, for example) is a buttery character from the cheese used. I've been through a handful of different types of mozz cheese (block v. per-shred, various blends, different brands, etc...) but unable to find that cheese that gives that signature flavor I've been after.

Found a new whole milk, low moisture mozz to try this weekend, and I think I found my new go-to cheese! That signature buttery aroma and rich flavor was there and it was SO delicious. The melt of this cheese as well, is just stunning.

Really looking forward to making a NY style cheese this coming weekend with it.

This particular pie was 1/3 extra cheese (for science!) and 2/3 a mix of Sausage/Pepper/Onion. I call it a "Detroit Hybrid" only because I also got a bunch of Wisconsin Brick cheese which is the go-to cheese on Detroit style pizzas for that delicious crust. First time I had seen it locally, so picked up a chonk of it. It's only used on the very edge of the pizza for a cheesy-crispy crust.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 2

I have to ask, and have probably asked this before ..... how many pizzas do you create and bake, every week? On average? Just curious of me. 🍌

And of course, I have to add ..... "nom nom nom nom" to all of the above. 😍

• Like 1

My friends and I were having trouble finding a pizza place open late at night in Green Bay last month, and we ended up going with Toppers Pizza, and omg, it was SO GOOD. We got one of their "Wisconsin Curds 'n' Bacon" pizzas, and omg, the idea of fried cheese curds with bacon on pizza was a freaking stroke of GENIUS.

16 hours ago, Nrthwnd said:

I have to ask, and have probably asked this before ..... how many pizzas do you create and bake, every week? On average? Just curious of me. 🍌

And of course, I have to add ..... "nom nom nom nom" to all of the above. 😍

On average, two per week I'd say. Usually we make them just one day a week, often on the weekend (and then eat the leftovers later in the week), but we have been known to make them twice a week here and there! 🤪  

When we do make them, it's usually just a single pizza (especially when doing a Sicilian, Detroit-Style or a 16 or 18" NY-Style). But we will make two if doing smaller Neapolitan (14" or so) or our coal fired ones.

Surprisingly enough, after years and years of eating so much Pizza (and beer!), have not gained any weight at all... Lol. But we do indeed balance the rest of the days with healthier stuff we cook of course (lots of veggies/salads, vegetarian-based dishes, freshly baked breads (little to no sugar added), lean meats, etc...) plus good exercise with the dog every day... Always getting our 10K steps and such.

Def has turned into a passion of mine, though, trying to perfect the pizza! lol

On 8/30/2023 at 6:45 AM, Invertalon said:

Surprisingly enough, after years and years of eating so much Pizza (and beer!), have not gained any weight at all... Lol....

I hate you for being that way. Hmmmmph.  😋 High metabolism rate, I betcha.... Damnit! 😉

I will of course, forgive you for that, so you can continue creating and baking and showing those wooooonnnnderful pizzas you do, to us! 🍕

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, same here. I think the texture of the pizza is better for it as there is less moisture directly on the dough... So you get better crisp and the sauce tends to be brighter and more 'punchy'. Love it!

Now my latest... Two pies from this past weekend, both NY style, a plain cheese and a supreme (with sauce dolloped on top!).

1.webp

2.webp

3.webp

4.webp

• Like 3

That looks amazing.

On 9/11/2023 at 6:14 AM, BABA BOOEY said:

I'm a huge mark for the upside down style with the cheese under the sauce. Hershey has a couple great places that do that style phenomenally 

Lou Malnatis in Chicagoland does this great. It goes well with their cornmeal based crust, which gets really crispy. It almost has like a glazed over butter crust on the bottom. Even better, they layer the bottom with sausage on their most popular classic style.

I look forward to that more than I do dealing with the shit bums at SFGam, when head up that way.

• Like 1