TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Must See and Must Do @ Disneyland and DCA?

I'm visiting California and Nevada this September for a two week roundtour. And I have 3 days extra to visit some themeparks. These parks are KBF and SFMM. But also Disneyland and DCA are at my list.

The only problem i have for Disneyland and DCA, is that I have to visit both parks in one day.

Now i'm asking you what rides I must do and what shows I must see?

I have made a short list with all the things I think must be on it.

Here is the list:

* Disneyland

- Rides

Big Thunder Mountain

Indiana Jones Adventure

Matterhorn Bobsleds

Space Mountain

Splash Mountain

Haunted Mansion

Pirates Of The Caribbean

- Shows

Fantasmic

* Disney's California Adventure

- Rides

California Screamin

Grizzly River Run

Maliboomer

Mulholland Madness

Soarin' Over California

Tower Of Terror

- Shows

Disney's Electrical Parade

Are there things missing on this list? Do you think I can do everything in one day?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can probably get all that done in one day if you are either there on a dead weekday, or on a weekend where the park hours are longer and you use FastPass to your advantage.

BTW, what day will you be up at SFMM?

--Robb

If you end up at SFMM on the 17th, PM me a couple of days before and remind us!

--Robb

I will try to pm you before the 17th, but I don't know if I have internet access. Maybe they have it at the hotel in San Fransisco or the airport hotel in LA where I'm staying.

Back in 2004, I did Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm over labor day weekend. On the Saturday before labor day, I went to Disneyland from 4pm to midnight. I just got into the LA area an hour beforehand (thats why the late start). The park wasn't very crowded at all. Not a long wait for anything. Fantasy Land was empty after 9pm, so I did all the kiddie rides.

On the Sunday before labor day, I did KBF. In the morning it wasn't too bad, but it started to get crowded in the afternoon. Left at 6pm.

On labor day, I did Disneyland/California Adventure (started off at DL, then CA, then back to DL) It also wasn't crowded at all.

Trust me, you'll be able to do both parks in one day. California Adventure won't even take up half a day unless you want many many many rides on Tower of Terror. You can even skip Mulholland Madness. It's not great and not very Disney like.

I do suggest riding Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in Fantasyland. If you're in the mood for something calm and old school Disney fun, deffinately go on The Jungle Cruise. It's a good larf.

And if you've never been on it, ride Star Tours. It's muchly fun.

Matterhorn Bobsledsis a defenite must. Do both sides, they're different.

Space Mountain is also another must. However, I have yet to ride it, so I'm just going off of what other people say.

Pirates is a must as well. Great ride, very atmospheric.

Splash Mountain is my current favourite log ride. It's well-themed, exciting, and the last drop is great. Tip: fat people should sit in the back because the back seat is wider than the other five.

Apparently Indy is really amazing, but I've yet to ride it.

Big Thunder Mountain is pretty good, but don't expect too much (I was underwhelmed because my classmates constantly hyped it all five hours on the bus to Disneyland)

And, of course, do Haunted Mansion, it's great.

If you have time after that, do the Roger Rabbit ride. It's actually pretty good, and has an interesting effect towards the end where R. Rabbit moves a hole in the wall.

Assuming that you're not creditwhoring, ignore Gadget's Go Coaster. If you are creditwhoring, go for it.

If you still have time after that, go to Fantasyland and ride the dark rides (watch for a demon rat in Mr Toad's).

Over in DCA, ToT is defenitely worth it. The airtime is very smooth but also very forceful. The sun wheel is worth it, and so is the zeppelin ride. Of course, I'm ignoring California Screamin', which is just amazing. Have fun on that.

Sort of sucks that you have to rush Disneyland, which is best if you linger and let the magic settle in.

Good thing your going that weekend, Matterhorn goes down for a 3 month rehab the day after labor day.

And I think it was supposed to be a week earlier, but they moved it up.

Usually the actual holiday (Labor Day, Memorial Day) is the least busy day of the year. We always used to go on Labor Day Monday and it would be dead.

^ Yes, it *was* supposed to be closed over Labor Day...I just found out that the date was pushed back a few days ago. I'll be there the day before it closes, so I get to get my Matterhorn credits!! Woo!

I didn't think Grizzly River Run was all that spectacular for a rapids ride, though it did have a great drop. I wouldn't wait very long and bypass other rides for it. I'd also recommend Mr. Toad like someone else said, and the Alice in Wonderland dark ride. Also, if you're a big Disney fan, you might want to try and squeeze in the tiki room too.

-Julie

I'll be at DL on Saturday Aug. 26th. Woo! One more week to go. Then I'll be at DCA on Tuesday 29th. Has anyone been to DL on a Saturday lately? I'm a little bit worried about crowds, but at least the park is open til midnight. I'm loving the tips y'all. Keep them coming!

Let's see:

Buzz Lightyear is awesome. I always ride this one, as it really doesn't get old. It never has that long of a wait, either.

In DCA, maximize both fastpass and single rider lines. The single rider lines are for Mulholland, Grizzly River Run (if you want to ride this, and don't want to fastpass, for sure use the SR line), and I belive Soarin is as well. CA screamin's line moves pretty fast, and ToT never has a long line. If you have time, see Aladdin, as it is a fun show, and you have to see the fireworks, as the really are the most amazing fireworks show I've seen. If you can, be as close to the castle as possible, as lots of the show is around there.

Glad to see that you are coming to visit us at the resort. Just a quick tip about fast pass: Grizzly River Run, Disneyland and the other fast pass attractions at DCA are on 3 different computer systems, so technically you could get a Fastpass at Disneyland, a Fastpass for Grizzly River Run, and another Fastpass attraction at DCA all at the same time. I would recommend getting one for Soarin' since it books up pretty quickly. Madness and Screamin' dont usually have a very long line, but if they do check out single rider. Screamin is going down for a couple of days in September for remodification for the new attraction coming to the Pier. I hope we are up and running when you visit. Like Robb said, contact me before you actually visit!

chuck

For Disneyland, I would definitely do all of the rides you listed, and out of those the only two without Fastpass are Matterhorn and Pirates, but both lines move fast. If you like the classic Disney dark rides, then definitely do Fantasyland (Mr. Toad, Alice in Wonderland, and Peter Pan are the best ones in my opinion). Basically I would recommend doing pretty much any rides you can, because I think they're all fun and worth a try.

For shows though, you must see the fireworks show. It's the best fireworks show I've ever seen. I would recommend that over Fantasmic and the Electrical Parade, because I personally liked it better and because it's going to end soon and the other two aren't. It's possible to see all three in one night though.

And for California Adventure, I would do Soarin' Over California (get those Fastpasses first unless you're doing single rider because they go fast), California Screamin', Grizzly River Run (never done it but I've heard it's good) and Tower of Terror and then leave. I think your time would be better spent at Disneyland, but that's just my opinion.

Here I've been checking Mouse Planet and MiceAge, and this forum had the best advice I've seen on visiting Disneyland. For example, the most recent news I'd read about Matterhorn's closure was August 28. I'm glad to know it's open a little longer than that, since we're visiting soon too. Thanks!