TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

DUBAILAND - the story behind it and buttload of pics.

EDIT - I'm soooo sorry... didn trealize dubai dave made several posts about this already... well, you can still use this thread to see the story behind it, and tons of new pictures

Well, for those of you who don't know, Dubai is a city in the united arab emirates. and as arab countries go - they have oil. and alot of it. which is basically what kept it going.

but recently experts discovered that the oil there is going to end by 2012 or so.

Now, the economy there is not ready to take such a blow. it's reliant on the oil there. so the crown prince has descided to use all the money from the oil, and make Dubai the most incredible city on earth.

So far it has stood up to that name, and currently features the world's tallest hotel, with a 7 star rating, situated on a small island of it's own.

Gigantic artificial islands made to look like palm trees

More artificial islands made to look like the world map, with luxurious houses on them, for sale at mad prices

Also, currently under construction there is the world's tallest skyscraper, going taller than 800 meters (half a mile)

And also, 200 skyscrapers are currently under construction in the marina.

But if you think that's something, you have seen nothing yet, because recently i have discovered a project i haven't yet heard of, called:

DUBAILAND!

Yes, those ARE skyscrapers in the middle of the park, and yes, it IS about as big as florida(okay, so that last part is an overstatement).

The amusement park includes a movie park, a theme park, a water park, an airport, a racetrack, 55 hotels, a stadium, and more coasters than i could count!

For many many many more pictures and details:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=107822

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As an interesting footnote of sorts, this review of the seven-star hotel seems less of a hotel review by a wine connoisseur on vacation with her family than it does a short work of futuristic science fiction by Phillip K. Dick or Douglas Adams about a wine connoisseur on vacation with her family.

If it's anything like the concept art, you're clearly right-but that doesn't change the fact that it has a grizzly peak and a Mount Prometheous to name a couple... I don't care, just pointing that out.

I'm blown away at the size of this project. There have been quite a few shockers like this like that ridiculously themed Happy Valley park, they just seem to pop up out of nowhere.

Well, if its going to be as impressive as the plans say and if the coasters are any good, i'll be sure to visit it some day!!!

This proves once again that arab people can't live whitout us rich western countries, and that dispite recent events, deep down inside they all love us... for our money. (LOL)

^ thats easy, the have the world in a vice because of all of their effin oil, and they can change the prices to go up or down, AND WE WILL PAY.

where did this city come from? I mean before about a month ago when I watched a documentary on the hotel resort I had no idea that Dubai was going to potentially be the tourism capital of the world. I can understand them maybe making a giant hotel and the worlds tallest skyscraper, but 4 different expansions?

You know, I think we underestimate the power and wealth of the middle east. If they can undertake projects like this so smoothly, I know I did...

^ thats easy, the have the world in a vice because of all of their effin oil, and they can change the prices to go up or down, AND WE WILL PAY.

where did this city come from? I mean before about a month ago when I watched a documentary on the hotel resort I had no idea that Dubai was going to potentially be the tourism capital of the world. I can understand them maybe making a giant hotel and the worlds tallest skyscraper, but 4 different expansions?

You know, I think we underestimate the power and wealth of the middle east. If they can undertake projects like this so smoothly, I know I did...

With all due respect, they ened enough tourism to save their country. A skyscraper and a hotel are not enough.

Hey, at least we can finally get to see benefits from it...a theme park bigger than any other in the world

^^^ Dubai is expanding so much for a reason. They are quickly running out of oil and to keep their economy from collapsing they are turning (or, have turned depending on how you look at it) the city into a tourism/business capital of the world.

Mark "It's very smart!" Luskus