TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Or a giga coaster....Magnum didn't stop Cedar Point from building one. Why should Goliath stop Magic Mountain?

I'm not saying they wouldn't, but I think Cedar Point is an exception, I mean how many parks have two hypers? I'd be as stoked as anyone if SFMM did put in a second hyper-style coaster, I'd be ecstatic for an i305 or Ride of Steel layout. Though the general public might not see a second hyper as being that different from Goliath. I mean they seem to think Apocalypse is a re-themed Psychlone.

If Colossus gets the Texas Giant treatment, maybe they'll get some good airtime out of that old woodie.

It's yet to be confirmed that RM Treatment will be awesome but I'm optomistic. I'll mosey on down to SFOT in July and confirm for myself. Even if RM wasn't amazing, I still think it would be a big improvement for Colossus.

Or a giga coaster....Magnum didn't stop Cedar Point from building one. Why should Goliath stop Magic Mountain?

Speaking strictly from a structural POV, it's more difficult to build something really tall, such as a giga or strata coaster in CA than Ohio. CA's earthquakes & corresponding building codes require coasters, and any other structure, built here to be much more "beefy" than you'd find in other parts of the country. Just look at the insane amount of structure going into the Cars Land Cadillac Range for example. More structure means more cost, and often times that additional cost sends the cost of adding a giga or strata coaster into a cost prohibitive area.

^Good point, I forget about that, it was the same in Japan with Steel Dragon I believe.

Two things SFMM doesn't have that are glaring omissions in my mind - drop ride/spaceshot (would earthquake issues make this relatively more complicated to build for SFMM to do a big one?), and an out and back launched coaster (Maverick please).

^^^You are right about California needing to build structures with higher guidelines than other places (which is one main reason Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco have fewer sky scrapers than most metro areas), but I'm sure sound planning can more than accomodate any large structre; especially since the park has two structures over 300 feet now (Sky Tower, 380 feet Superman, 415 feet

If Colossus gets the Texas Giant treatment, maybe they'll get some good airtime out of that old woodie.

It's yet to be confirmed that RM Treatment will be awesome but I'm optimistic.

If was the key word there.

Really, a drop tower can't be built at SFMM due to earthquake regulations?

Yeah, because the Sky Tower and Superman are tiny. Because Knott's doesn't have a drop tower. Because DCA didn't have a space shot.

Downtown LA ... US Bank Tower 1,018 feet = 10th tallest building in the US

San Francisco ... Transamerica Pyramid 853 feet = 32nd tallest building in the US

The reason SFMM doesn't have a drop tower is because they haven't chosen to build one. Not because of any regulations.

^I don't doubt they can build a drop tower but my question is would it require greater re-inforcement of the structure, i.e. greater cost. Possibly a greater enough cost that it wouldn't be worth doing, for instance, it's not something they can exactly market as a maquee ride for starters (they can try, get the Alton Towers publicity team in to do it).

^^^I think you mave have missed my point. Sky scrapers in Califrnia have to be built to different specifications than one in say, Cleveland because of the needed resistance to earthquakes. Why I used this as an example is because Los Angeles was able to build a tower over 1,000 feet tall, but not until there was a method in which to build a structure of that size.

Main point, if Magic Mountain wanted to build a 300' coaster, they would. If Disneyworld can survive huricanes, I think a giga could take a rattle.

^^There is a Mega Lite at Tobu Zoo Park in Japan, an island nation with just as many fault lines as the So Cal area and by looking at the pics, of Kawasemi, it doesnt look like it has any more "structure" than any other Intamin coaster in a non-earthquake zone.

Keep in mind that most Operation/General Managers have their own ideas as to what will work and what won't in their park. The folks out at SFMM have shown time and time again that they prefer "unique" over "classic". Even Goliath bucked the trend of what hypers are "suppose" to be. Green Lantern is another example of a unique ride that no other US park can claim. Of course this is nothing I can say for sure, but there are definate patterns when it comes to additions at SFMM. If other parks in the area have one, they probably won't (unless they add it first or make it unique in some way).

^ Agreed. SFMM has always been about the tallest/fastest/unique. First looping coaster. Tallest racing coaster. First Suspended coaster. Tallest/fastest Stand-Up/Flyer. First 4th Dimension coaster. First to 400ft. It's how they sell their park.

ANY new structure in CA has to be built up to earthquake code whether it's a drop tower, coaster, bathroom, restaurant, house, etc. Building a drop tower wouldn't be any more prohibitive than building any other kind of ride at SFMM.

First Suspended coaster.

...Ninja was the fifth of Arrow's suspended coasters...

Of course parks area always concerned about regulations, but there's no reason why SFMM would have more trouble building a drop tower than Knott's or DCA.

It was the first suspended coaster in the west I believe.

First to 400ft.

a ride thats attached to a 400+ foot structure which is cool and all, but it's been eclipsed, surpassed, etc. We all know it's the reason they wanted to re-theme it and launch it backwards.

However, I would have pissed myself at least a little if I didn't use the restroom directly before walking onto it.

Keep in mind that most Operation/General Managers have their own ideas as to what will work and what won't in their park. The folks out at SFMM have shown time and time again that they prefer "unique" over "classic". Even Goliath bucked the trend of what hypers are "suppose" to be. Green Lantern is another example of a unique ride that no other US park can claim. Of course this is nothing I can say for sure, but there are definate patterns when it comes to additions at SFMM. If other parks in the area have one, they probably won't (unless they add it first or make it unique in some way).

It seems logical, based on the things they have added in the past. A drop tower seems kind of blah when compared to their other additions.

I'd love to see a new generation launch coaster at SFMM, perhaps starting at the top flying down the mountain.

First Suspended coaster.

...Ninja was the fifth of Arrow's suspended coasters...

Correct, I forgot to add "on the west coast".

First to 400ft.

a ride thats attached to a 400+ foot structure which is cool and all, but it's been eclipsed, surpassed, etc. We all know it's the reason they wanted to re-theme it and launch it backwards.

However, I would have pissed myself at least a little if I didn't use the restroom directly before walking onto it.

That's why I said "first" to 400ft.

My point was, SFMM likes people to talk about the park, likes people to think "Hey, I have to go to SFMM to try the first of something". How many people other than Theme Park people know that there is another Backwards Launching "Superman" in Australia? Not very many. Heck, I'd even imagine most people don't know that there are taller/faster coasters than Superman out there.

Not only are they going to have that to promote as "New and backwards" they will have Green Lantern which is already being billed as the "Only coaster of it's kind in the US".

This is the way SFMM does it. A S&S Launched/Drop Tower isn't really something they can advertise as a "First" or "Only". That was my point.

Re: Ninja video. That's totally awesome. I'm watching it and thinking "Ninja isn't that long". Guess I need to have some coffee.