TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I know one things for sure, if you launch 2 coaster trains at the same speed and one of them is full of people and the other is empty, the empty one will go much higher than the one full of people.

Objects fall at the same speed regardless of weight, but how it goes up the hill is a whole 'nother story.

Both of these statements involve resistance, and neither of these statements apply to the Giant.

A LAUNCHED pair of trains will see the empty one go higher because the launch is controlled to achieve the same speed and the empty train will have less weight in it to slow it down as it goes up the hill.

Giant isn't launched, it's using gravity for speed. That brings us to the next bit:

Objects fall at the same speed regardless of weight. True dat, until you factor in resistance. Drop a stone and a feather and see how the air resistance makes one hit the ground a lot sooner than the other. The stone's weight is enough to lessen the effects of resistance and allow it to fall faster. The same is true for a heavier train. Neither of these trains will have a long enough drop to achieve their maximum possible speed on the way down, but the heavier train will work towards that speed more quickly, resulting in more speed at the bottom of the drop.

On the way up the next hill, it is true that the heavier train will have more mass to lift up and over the hill, but it's also true that [1] it's starting the climb with a faster speed than the light train will and [2] the greater weight will be less effected by resistance from other forces, such as air.

If the Giant trains valley, I'd bet it's from cold grease packing on the bearings, track that isn't just right, or some other problem rather than the weight of the trains.

Besides, they aren't going to be putting people in these - surely those trains aren't heavier EMPTY than what they were planning on dealing with when they're FULL.

Even reputable sources can misunderstand some things, perhaps overhear information and come to an erroneous conclusion, or maybe he's just jacking with you.

This thing is looking like something out of a rollercoaster-loving teenager's notebook doodles. Crazy that it's actually happening - way crazier than a loop on a "wooden" coaster etc.

On a side note, tex, don't mean to be player-hatin' but I am amazed at how rude you come across in your posts. Not sure if it's the know-it-all style or just the pure condescension you post with...but I can't be the first to note it. There are much nicer ways to "educate" people.

Have they announced any raffles or contests to line up the first public riders etc?

^ Really? How exactly can one provide contradictory information, then, without appearing "rude" to you? I never said that the OP was wrong in what he heard the guy say, I didn't call him stupid, I never said anything rude about him at all. I simply stated that his source might've gotten some misinformation and I used information to back up my point.

If you want rude, browse through here and see the stereotyping and derogatory comments thrown at ACE and their members. Don't remember you calling anyone out on those.

I have a few problems with that theory, the heavier trains wouldn't "have more mass to lift up and over the hill" in theory the extra weight would restrict its climb . . . take a light rock and a heavy one and throw them both up in the air the same concept applies here. And of course a lot of this also depends on how tight the wheels fit the track as well, wheel friction could also play a major role in slowing the train dramatically as well.

^Yeah, in theory the extra weight would restrict its climb. But you make the assumption that they will have the same speed at the bottom of the drop. When you throw a rock up, you are assuming a similar force is placed on them. When you drop a roller coaster from the same height, the heavier one better overcomes the air resistance, along with many other things, but to agree with you, if it becomes too heavy, there will be other limiting agents, such as friction, etc. that override the problem of air resistance. A good example is the tornado slide. If you ever watched a heavier set of riders go down the drop, you'll notice they go higher up the first wall. That's why they set a weight limit so there are no issues of the tube flipping over. Similar concept here. The heavier you make the cart (up to a certain point), the faster it will go, and the higher it will go.

Also, I believe that the Mr. Freeze problems have more to do with the set of magnets at the top of the spike functioning properly than a loss of speed on the over banked turn.

Those are just my two cents. I'll just wait until testing to see what happens.

I imagine a lighter train would have less resistance from the air and track but have less momentum, whereas a heavier train will have more momentum but will make the structure flex more, which will deplete that momentum faster...

The engineers probably know what they're doing, I'm not thinking about it any more [/brainfry]

What would they have to do if the trains do valley?

And Zingo did you get any new pics of the giant?

Crane.

Can't wait to hear about testing! Very exciting for sure. March can't come soon enough!

thats uhh not what i meant... lol i meant like if the train was consistantly valleying what do they change to stop that from happening?

I have a few problems with that theory, the heavier trains wouldn't "have more mass to lift up and over the hill" in theory the extra weight would restrict its climb . . .

We are actually saying the same thing here, I just didn't state it very clearly.

I had intended it to read like below, with the parenthetical text assumed. Sorry bout dat.

On the way up the next hill, it is true that the heavier train will have more mass (that it will have) to lift up and over the hill, but it's also true that [1] it's starting the climb with a faster speed than the light train will and [2] the greater weight will be less effected by resistance from other forces, such as air.

So, if lighter trains are the solution to valleying, then all of those other coasters that do their morning test runs with weights in the cars because an empty train isn't heavy enough to make it around the entire course should instead be removing the seats and lapbars instead to lighten the train further?

...and since I'm apparently "extremely rude" and "condescending" and all of that anyway, I might as well just pull out the stops and say

Speculation from an anonymous, yet apparently very reliable worker at SFOT > laws of physics.

Someone should probably let God know.

[/rude and condescending]

Crane.

Can't wait to hear about testing! Very exciting for sure. March can't come soon enough!

thats uhh not what i meant... lol i meant like if the train was consistantly valleying what do they change to stop that from happening?

Rockets on the back of the trains.

...or they could magnetize the steel track and wheels to the same polarity. The magnetic repulsion would keep the road and upstop wheels just slightly away from the rail, thereby reducing the friction and making the trains faster. Maybe that's why they're worried about the trains valleying because they're too heavy: they don't have strong enough magnets to hold those heavy trains aloft!

And it's about to go to, "well if they stick rockets on the back of the train, won't the structure burn down and..."

I cannot wait to get back to Texas next year. I am going to ride the h-e double hockey sticks out of the new Giant. Then I might go gray-out a few times on Titan.

I did get some pictures but not many as the sun was practically gone when I got there. Heyago!

tpr1.jpg.0dbd57b841ea3497c1eb66a41b4134c2.jpg

I was REALLY hoping they had lights on this for christmas but alas night fell and the little guy remained dark.

tpr2.jpg.ff04faa6291866aae3a49e844c41883e.jpg

I walked up right as the Rocky Mountain guys were taking off for the night. Quite a large crew when you get them all together!

tpr3.jpg.e9a5a3f7940535e2539609ea8b5ce226.jpg

Behold! Bundles of joy!

tpr4.thumb.jpg.87fe9503018f271da5978411d53342cb.jpg

tpr5.jpg.04bab983f357c41605e6d16ee9f14a34.jpg

and on a side note, Over Texas finally removed sir Hawk from Big Spin in all the signage.

Edited by robbalvey

^^^ The ride is said to start cycling the first week of January when there is no public in the park,

^^It's supposed to open with the park in March.

^ and no, the park wasn't busy at all. It was pretty nice! Sunday last weekend was pretty slow as well but Saturday was packed!

Crane.

They can experiment a lot with wheel materials. When Tatsu was testing it was going too fast so they changed some of the wheels until they got the speed they wanted. The same technique should be possible to use to make a coaster go faster, unless its already equipped with the fastest wheels possible...