Photo TR: Three days at Disneyland Paris

Part 3 - Parade, pyro and the AWESOME Hyperspace Mountain!!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Three days at Disneyland Paris

Postby viking86 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:44 am

ThemeParkJunkie51290 wrote:Love it! The Disney's Studios park seems nice! =) Well . . . from my point of view. LOL. I'm glad I was able to visit Disney's Hollywood Studios in FL and took a ride on The Studio Tour before it closed. The water rushing all over the place was my favorite part! If I'm ever in Paris, I'll be sure to make a visit at both parks.

The Catastrophe Canyon part of the Studio Tour is really awesome, and if it had been a stand-alone attraction I would have said it was great and actually worth waiting for. It's just that the rest of the tour just flat out sucks and it makes the wait sooo long...

But yes, definitely visit both parks for a first visit. Just make sure to get a park hopper ticket, so that when you're done with the Studios park after a few hours you can skip back to Disneyland. (the Studios park closes early anyway) ;)

Nrthwnd wrote:^ Do it, if and when you can! My current opinion, is that the Studios has vastly improved, from when we first visited it....in it's first six months! Not even (to us) a 1/2 park back then. It was more like a 1/3 park, LOL. But extending the animation part of it (that's what Cars, Aladdin and Crush were for), and the "mini-land" of Toy Story, and definitely the entire "Land of Remy", and still the RnR coaster, all the more enjoyable.

Lol that's like at least one third of the park you mentioned there! And I see that also Tower of Terror didn't open until 2007. Attraction wise it must have been a truly awful park when it opened back in 2002.

But as you said in one of your earlier posts, there is a lot of potential for this park, and the more recent additions are great so maybe there is a bright future for this park some years down the road..?? :)

Postby viking86 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:32 am

Part 3 - back to Disneyland Park

Alright, time to leave the Walt Disney Studios Park behind and head over to Disneyland Park. In this third and final update I will be taking a look at the amazing Discoveryland, where the best ride of the whole resort can be found, before I will end this trip report with a look at some of the afternoon/nighttime entertainment the park has to offer.

But before that, here’s an interesting little detail which I didn’t notice before on my second day. The plaque at the park entrance is different from it’s CA Disneyland/WDW counterparts. In stead of reading “...enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy” it says “...enter the worlds of history, discovery and ageless fantasy”. I don’t know why they have gone for a different text, and for me it doesn’t make any difference, I just thought it was interesting and worth mentioning.

01.jpg
Here’s a look at the park entrance gates, which are directly underneath Disneyland Hotel.

02.jpg
And here’s the plaque on the wall underneath the train station.

03.jpg
I also found that I had taken a picture showing one of the covered walkways. This is the one that is on the right side of Main Street U.S.A.

04.jpg
The park was being decorated for Halloween, and back in Frontierland there were more decorations for each of my three days.

Okay, let’s jump straight into Discoveryland. This are of the park is FANTASTIC! While the attraction list is very similar to it’s Tomorrowland counterparts, the theming and the atmosphere in the whole area is completely different, and I love it! The buildings look fantastic, particularly with the use of gold/brass colors the whole place is almost glowing when the sun shines on it.

05.jpg
The sign welcoming you to Discoveryland.

06.jpg
This pillar has a plaque with a quote from Jules Verne. Translated into English it read “Everything that is within the limits of what is possible must be and will be accomplished”.

The big eye-catcher in Discoveryland is of course Hyperspace Mountain. I don’t think I’m excaggerating if I say that my jaw dropped once I got to see the whole ride structure ride with my own eyes. It’s just stunningly beautiful, unlike anything else I’ve seen. The main feature here is naturally the Columbiad cannon on the side of the building, a true masterpiece! The only downside is that there are no longer any physically moving parts on the cannon, but it’s still awesome

07.jpg
This is the view you get of Hyperspace Mountain when you enter Discoveryland.

08.jpg
Look at it!

09.jpg
I can definitely live with wait times like this.

09_2.jpg
A closer look at the Columbiad cannon.

10.jpg
It’s a little bit of a shame that there are no longer any moving parts on the cannon, but it still looks awesome!

The whole area surrounding the ride is beatiful as well, with water featured, rock formations and a small-scale version of the Nautilus submarine from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

11.jpg
The lagoon in front of the ride, and the Nautilus submarine.

With the exception of the post-parade crowds on the third day the line was usually in the 5-15 minutes range, but I still took quite a bit of advantage of the single rider line. The single rider line also has several really cool features. First it gives you a real close-up look of the cannon. And second, it takes you on the elevated walkway past the station, giving you some unique views you don’t get from the regular line. I really liked the station interior also, a very different look from what I’m used to. As you can see from the pictures, the ride has also been fitted with brand new trains from Vekoma.

12.jpg
This is the view from the single rider line, where you go across the walkway on the right, giving you a great view of the station.

13.jpg
To the left of the control booth you can just see the bottom of the stairs. This is where the single rider line is coming down.

14.jpg
I didn’t get any good pictures of the trains, so this will have to do. But damn do these trains work wonders for older, less smooth rides...

Okay, so let’s talk about the ride itself, shall we? I have not ridden the original version so I cannot compare it to how it was before, but I knew there was a lot of hatred for this ride, and I must admit I was actually quite nervous before my first ride. Not only am I going on a ride that is probably going to be quite rough, but it will also be in the dark so I will not be able to see what is coming and brace myself.

Well, I’m happy to say that boy was I wrong, because this ride is AWESOME! No, of course it’s not a smooth ride, but it’s not bad at all and this ride is also INTENSE! There’s really only a few spots I would call kinda rough, and the new trains with the vest restraints remove any potential headbanging. If riding multiple times there can be a slight discomfort from your shoulders rubbing against the vest, but overall I LOVED this ride! Heck, it might even be my favorite Disney coaster from those I have ridden (DLP and WDW). Now, I can absolutely understand if people hated the ride with the old trains as I can easily see the ride being on the uncomfortable side before the update, but now it’s a fantastic ride!

I’m not going to do a step-by-step review of the ride, simply because I’m not able to since the ride takes place in the dark. I know the ride has three inversions, a sidewinder, a corsckrew and a cutback in that order, and you definitely know it when you’re going through them. But what happened between them I wasn’t always sure about.

In terms of highlights I liked the launch. It’s not a very strong launch, but it’s definitely enough to give you the funny feeling in your stomach. My favorite part happened after the first MCBR. While I’m not 100% sure about what was going on, it feels like the ride is doing a triple-down while turning to the right before the corkscrew. Particularly in the backseat, this part (and the whole ride really) was a lot of fun.

So to wrap it up, this is a perfect example of a ride refurbishment done correctly, mainly with the new trains. Just for fun I had a look at the 2013 steel coaster poll, and I saw that this ride was ranked as #246 out of 364, and by far the lowest of all the Space Mountain coasters, with the second lowest one being Space Mountain at WDW almost 100 places above it on the list. And I get it, and maybe I would also have hated the ride if I had ridden it with the old trains, but now it has become a pretty damn awesome ride and I would love to hear from someone who has ridden both versions to hear how much of a difference the new trains make. I never thought I would come off a 22-year old Vekoma thinking “that was freaking amazing!”.

14_1.jpg
Hyperspace Mountain onride picture with Andrew and Dylan in the backseat.

But while it’s definitely the main attraction in this area of the park, Discoveryland isn’t all about Hyperspace Mountain. So let’s have a look at what else is here, shall we?

15.jpg
They also have Autopia here, and the petrol driven cars feels just as out of place here as they do at Magic Kingdom.

16.jpg

17.jpg
Les Mystères du Nautilus is a walkthrough attraction, simulating a walkthrough of the Nautilus submarine. It’s worth a go!

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg
They also have Star Tours here, almost hidden back in the corner behind Hyperspace Mountain. This is such a fun ride, one of my favorite simulator rides. It was also pretty much a walk-on all the time during my visit.

Another big eye-catcher in Discoveryland is Cafe Hyperion, hooked together the Videopolis building. Looking at the building exterior, with the fantastic looking airship, you would think it would be housing a spectacular ride, but nope! Inside is actually a large quick-service restaurant, but what is most interesting is the huge arena style seating centered around a stage. The lower half has bench seating, while the upper half are restaurant tables for the quick-service restaurant. Definitely an interesting setup, although during my visit I didn’t see anything going on stage other than some movies being shown on the screens.

21.jpg
The entrance to Cafe Hyperion

22.jpg

23.jpg

At 5:30 PM it was parade time in the park. While on a slightly smaller scale than the WDW parade (yes I know I keep doing the WDW comparison all the time, but it’s the only Disney resort I can compare it to) it was still fun and very popular with the park guests.

24.jpg
Mickey, Minnie, Donal and Daisy leads the parade at DLP.

25.jpg
Buzz Lightyear in his spaceship.

28.jpg
I loved the Crush float!

29.jpg

30.jpg
DLP also has the awesome fire-breathing dragon!

31.jpg
Not all of the characters had their own floats, but at least Rapunzel and Flynn Rider didn’t have to walk unlike Snow White behind them.

32.jpg
No float for Belle and the Prince either...

33.jpg
And of course finally my favorite girls!

It was at this point my phone decided to freeze up and I had to restart it, forcing me to scramble across the hub to try to get some pics on the other side. Unfortunately this was on the third day with a more crowded park then the two days before, so this was as close as I could get.

33_1.jpg
Elsa, over here!!

My favorite time of the day at this park is during sunset, it’s just stunningly beautiful.

34.jpg
The sun is starting to set on the castle.

35.jpg
Frontierland is very pretty during sunset.

36.jpg

37.jpg
But the most impressive area of the park at this time is Discoveryland, where everything gets this wonderful glow. Here’s the Orbitron carousel.

38.jpg
Hyperspace Mountain looks amazing during sunset.

39.jpg
Heavy air traffic over Disneyland Paris.

40.jpg
Lights starting to come on.

41.jpg
Crowd gathering for Illuminations.

At the very end of the day it was time for Illuminations. This was a fantastic show, featuring castle projections, water fountains, lasers, searchlights and pyrotechnics. I was particularly impressed by the projections. The only other projection show I have for comparison is the now gone Celebrate the Magic at WDW, but the projection quality for Illuminations was definitely a step up as the image quality was top notch! The only thing I was missing was the “big boom” fireworks, pretty much all of what they have are silent fireworks, but other than that it’s a fantastic show and a worthy ending to each of my three fantastic days at Disneyland Paris.

And yes, when the Frozen music started you could hear the entire crowd going “OOOOoooohhhhh”. That didn’t happen when any of the other scenes started. So if anyone of you out there was hoping this thing was starting to fade away, I’m afraid you’re going to have to wait a little longer. :p

42.jpg
While most of the show is mainly projections, fountains and lights, the finale of the show features plenty of fire.

43.jpg
I mean literally fire! You could really feel the heat from this one!

44.jpg
And one final overload of pyrotechnics brings this awesome 20-minute show to an end!

44_1.jpg
Some final post-show projections reminding us that the park has been around for 25 years,

45.jpg
Crowds leaving the park. The covered walkways on either side of the main street really helped to empty the park quickly.

46.jpg
Mickey waving goodbye to the guests from the train station.

So that’s a final wrap on three fantastic days at Disneyland Paris! Yes, the Studios Park wasn’t really that great, but that was expected. Disneyland Park however managed to provide me with a lot of the Disney magic. Service still leaves a little bit to be desired, and like others have previously the people here don’t seem to care that much about where you can and cannot smoke. But I didn’t see any line jumpers or badly behaved guests during my stay, and I didn’t have bad experiences myself either. So all in all Disneyland Park is a fantastic park, and one I would definitely reccomend anyone to visit.

And again special thanks to Andrew, Chris and Dylan for making the trip a great one!

Until next time...

47.jpg

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:50 pm

Awesome photos of everything you took, on your last day there.

And YAY you got a covered Arcade shot! :smile: I believe the right one is called "Discovery Arcade" while the one on the left is named "Liberty Arcade". And Illuminations is really cool. They added "mist screens" on both sides of the castle (in the moat) for expanding the projections, which is really something to see. And yeah, when the "Frozen" section come on, you could hear the volume of the crowd increase quite a bit. Which is fine by me. And we were all screaming for more, at the end of it. Great show.

Thanks for sharing all of your visit there! :mickey:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby viking86 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:02 pm

Thank you, I enjoyed putting it all together! The arcade shot was planned for the first post, but it got lost in the 550 pictures I came back with on my phone! :lol:

I didn't notice any signs for the arcades, but the names you mentioned makes sense. I remember the one on the right having various plans and small scale models of various inventions through history, while the one on the left was definitely more "US themed"... :p

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:56 am

Thanks for the excellent report. Although Paris Disney has its flaws, there's a lot to like about the place.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Joe Schwartz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:34 am

Praise Jeebus for those new restraints on Hyperspace Mountain! They look like a huge improvement to what was previously a painful ride. For comparison, here's my onride photo from last year:
Space Mountain DLP.jpg

Postby viking86 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:29 pm

cfc wrote:Thanks for the excellent report. Although Paris Disney has its flaws, there's a lot to like about the place.

Thank you! I agree, the resort definitely has its flaws, but those are mainly connected to the Studios Park. Overall I came back pleasantly surprised with what I experienced during my three days there.

Joe Schwartz wrote:Praise Jeebus for those new restraints on Hyperspace Mountain! They look like a huge improvement to what was previously a painful ride. For comparison, here's my onride photo from last year:

LOL it looks like you're trying to put on a brave smile to hide your terror, but failing miserably! :lol:
But yes, these restraints can improve a ride so much. This was my second experience with the vest restraints, the previous one being the boomerang at Walibi Holland, and even that one was half-decent ride with these new trains.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Joe Schwartz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:07 pm

viking86 wrote:
Joe Schwartz wrote:Praise Jeebus for those new restraints on Hyperspace Mountain! They look like a huge improvement to what was previously a painful ride. For comparison, here's my onride photo from last year:

LOL it looks like you're trying to put on a brave smile to hide your terror, but failing miserably! :lol:

I think I was actually grimacing, but it's hard to recall after receiving a beating like that.

viking86 wrote:But yes, these restraints can improve a ride so much. This was my second experience with the vest restraints, the previous one being the boomerang at Walibi Holland, and even that one was half-decent ride with these new trains.

Totally agree, that was probably my first enjoyable Boomerang ride. I hope to see more parks using these new restraints.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:11 pm

It sounds like Vekoma finally learned the lesson of Premier's Flight of Fear--get rid of those rock-hard OTSRs.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:24 pm

If David and I get back there in a few years, I hope I can re-ride SM and NOT be knocked around in the head, as much as I was back in 2015.
Good to read the new restraints work much, much better.

viking86 wrote:Lol that's like at least one third of the park you mentioned there! And I see that also Tower of Terror didn't open until 2007. Attraction wise it must have been a truly awful park when it opened back in 2002.

Well it wasn't so much an "awful park" as much as a surprisingly quick one to go through, lol! I think we did everything, which was mainly Cinemagique and Animagique, the Animation bldg/show, Armaged-ged-gedon, Rock'n'Roller, the Tram Tour, and the Stunt Show! The Disney Channel (French?) had a thing going on in a building behind Rendezvous des Stars restaurant. And we had no kids, so why bother?

And we were there right at opening time, so it was a surprise for my First Ever Brand New Disney Park to have so.....not a lot to it.

...But Jeremy Irons sounded (and looked) so young and dashing, back then. ;)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!