Chuck's Busch Gardens Williamsburg Thread

UPDATE, July 12: Star Spangled Nights!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What's with the donkeys anyway?

Re: Chuck's Busch Gardens Williamsburg Thread

Postby theGrayZone » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:33 pm

... but did the flutist summon other Irish relics? ... like "Book of Kells" artisans to do caricatures, complementary draught Guiness, and Brigadoon (which would have been really magical considering it's part of Scottish lore, FWIR).

The explosions looked like confetti... but coins you say? ... right on!! Did you snag one (or several)? Plastic or metal? Did you get any images or macros of one of them? (Were they Denver or Philly mint? j/k... but were they?)

Thanks for the festive update.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby theGrayZone » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:51 pm

Oh... just went back and checked out the photos from the earlier (Easter time) visit...

Where did they move Le Catapult? (Katapult in it's original spot was the best (as a darkride)... whuddif they got it back inside somewhere, someday, somehow, for some reason? ...*sigh* nostalgia.)

I could see the cabanas working out... hadn't ever thought of them in an amusement park setting before now, since I've only seen them available at waterparks. (But they remind me of something I've seen before... maybe TV/film... maybe from Game of Thrones or any other movie/show where a heavily-draped portable dwelling became a temporary love den... just something about them *shrug*... maybe it's the picture makes it look like they are tucked away, in some remote spot, off the beaten path, where you might hear parents sternly warning the kids to, "stay away from that fenced in area". Maybe I'm just thinking of GoT and not wanting to wait a year for ssn. 2.)

Oh, and I would have tried the Chipstix, too. Tasty?

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:18 pm

theGrayZone wrote:Where did they move Le Catapult? (Katapult in it's original spot was the best (as a darkride)... whuddif they got it back inside somewhere, someday, somehow, for some reason? ...*sigh* nostalgia.)

Where the Canadian Palladium used to be--next to the Smokehouse.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:04 pm

The Thread Rises from the Dead: Howl-o-Scream 2011

Busch Gardens planned to kickoff Howl-o-Scream 2001 (“The Dark Side of the Gardens”) with a media event on Friday, September 23, but nature had other plans. There was a monsoon in Williamsburg from noon until a little after 5:30 pm that day, so the park closed at 6:00 pm. But even though the weather was a bit threatening that weekend, the big rain was over, and HOS went on as scheduled on Saturday and Sunday.

So, I ambled over there late Sunday afternoon. The weather was a bit sticky, but not rainy, and the crowd was pretty light, meaning that rides were pretty much walk-ons, and waits for haunted houses, once the event got going, were very short. Works for me!

Overall, HOS seems stronger this year, mainly because last year was pretty much a retread (only with bigger scarezones). BGW is offering three new mazes this year, with only two old ones returning. But how do they stack up? Here they are, from best to worst.

Deadline (Escape from Pompeii)—For some reason, Pompeii decided it needed a subway. Too bad that while they were digging, they unleashed a powerful gas that turns people into homicidal zombies! Not the most original concept ever, but this house is a welcome replacement for the old Curse of Pompeii (which had a 12-year run, with some embellishments, and was feeling pretty tired). The sets are the best the park has ever done for HOS, with plenty of surprises. The scareactors were doing a good job that night, too (just ask the women who were behind me).

13: Your Number’s Up (Europe in the Air)—This was the site of the very first HOS house 13 years ago, and it’s a big improvement over the Caverns of Darkness maze that used to be there. Guests are forced to face 13 different phobias, including fear of heights, fear of death, and even fear of going to the dentist or going to bed. It’s a good idea, and the long, narrow “cave” of Europe in the Air’s queue is used very well (which was not the case with Caverns).

Bitten (Drachen Fire station)—This house of Christopher Lee-style bloodsuckers is now the oldest maze at HOS, but that’s OK. It’s always been solid. The house sets are very good, and there are plenty of places for the legions of the undead to hide and attack.

Catacombs (Palace Royale Threatre)—This tour of the plague-infested catacombs of Paris was a bit weak last year, but is much improved. BGW reconfigured the space, and the mouldering, mummified corpses were using it well. This maze is the shortest one, but it’s long on creepy atmosphere.

Fear Fair (Festa Italia)—Evil clowns are back, which kind of rates a yawn from me. This new house was the weakest of the night, but there are good sets and some interesting ideas (such as the “carnival games” section). It could get better as the scareactors settle into their roles.

The park has been playing with their scarezones, too—usually their weak spot. Here’s how they stack up.

Unleashed (path between France and Ireland)—The werewolves and living bushes are back where they belong, and they have some new scenery and barriers to hide behind when stalking guests. Pretty good, if a bit short.

Widowmakers (Fort New France)—It’s chainsaw-wielding lumberjacks vs. spiders here. This is the largest of the scarezones, and it’s OK.

Scavengers (path from the Loch Ness Monster to Ireland)—Scarecrows and giant crows are scrounging for human body parts. Why? I have no idea, but this scarezone does have the best scenery of them all—the actors just need to use it better.

Stitchin’ Time (Oktoberfest bridge near DarKastle)—This was an interesting idea (a mad scientist sends his stitched-together creations to harvest spare parts), but it doesn’t quite come off. The scareactors really didn’t do much.

Grin and Scare It (Festa Italia bridge)—Again, the scareactors weren’t too active here when I went through, and there’s minimal scenery for them to hide behind. I liked it better during the old Festa Dementia days when the whole area from the bridge to the Roman Rapids was a scarezone.

All in all, HOS 2011 is pretty solid. There were some problems (such as Fear Fest and the rather small scarezones), but this event tends to improve as October grinds on.

Join me, won’t you? There’s nothing to be concerned about. Well, at least not from me. But the GRISLY MONTH OF HORROR is upon us—so who knows what will happen? :devil:
01.jpg
Does it, now?
03.jpg
“This event may not be suitable for small children—please quit complaining that your small children were too scared on our Facebook page. Thank you.”
04.jpg
“But I love small children—for lunch!”
06.jpg
These signs were all over the park explaining bits of folklore—a nice touch.
07.jpg
Yep—those are ravens. And if they leave, the British Crown will fall! (Well, not if they leave Busch Gardens. We have no “British Crown” here.)
08.jpg
Hmm—should I go this way?
09.jpg
Or this way? It’s too confusing for me! The horror has already begun!
10.jpg
“Then again, there are folks who go both ways—but we may decide to make that illegal in Virginia someday.”
11.jpg
"Shenanigans" = Ripping your guts out!
12.jpg
"Hello, sailah!"
13.jpg
"I ain't hungry, yet--but I might go for a bite of chunky coaster enthusiast later. You look pretty tender."
14.jpg
Not quite "unleashed" yet--come back at 6:00 pm.
15.jpg
"Small children should not gaze upon this symbol of their inevitable mortality. Thank you."
16.jpg
Catacombs has a spiffy new sign--and is a better house this year, too.
17.jpg
Sheesh! First, they have all those problems with Mach Tower. Then Hurricane Irene. Now it's the plague. BGW just can't catch a break.
18.jpg
Aw-w-w-w-w . . . how adorable.
19.jpg
Soon, the air will be full of the buzzing of chainsaws and smell of gasoline. Actually, that sounds like the week after Hurricane Irene.
20.jpg
"Er, little help here? This spider is going to EAT ME, you know! Hello? Hello?"
22.jpg
This statue has been showing her breasts here ever since the park opened--yet people were complaining about the cleavage shown by the nurses in the Fiends show. Go figure.
23.jpg
A charming fall tradition . . .
24.jpg
. . . cutting folks up and sewing them back together again.
25.jpg
Uh oh! Dr. Weirdstein is back making monsters at the Festhaus!
26.jpg
This is kind of clever. Each monster around the may pole represents one of the park's management team--this is Larry "The Troll" Giles, the gent in charge of building new attractions.
27.jpg
"I'm keeping my eye out for small children. They shouldn't be here, you know."
29.jpg
Vampire Minions as Skee Ball prizes! Bleah! Bleah! They have Mummy Minions, too.
30.jpg
I had some time to kill before the houses opened, so I caught the Jack Is Back show in Ireland.
31.jpg
They've redone the show a bit. He starts out above Grogan's, then . . .
32.jpg
. . . poof! He's onstage! (I liked the original, more grotesque version of Jack better.) More to come.
Last edited by cfc on Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:53 am.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:32 pm

Now HOS truly begins . . .

Whatever you say, Bela.
33.jpg
Uh oh! Someone's cranked up the fog machine! Must be nearly 6:00 pm.
34.jpg
Hang on to your extremities, folks--there are Scavengers about.
35.jpg
Hey, that is one nasty booger you got hangin' outta your nose. Wanna tissue?
36.jpg
"I'm a crow with a foot--and I know how to use it!"
37.jpg
This was the longest line of the night (about 15 minutes). The maze was new, so everyone went there first.
38.jpg
Hmm--I think these signs may provide a subtle clue about what will happen inside.
39.jpg
Yep--I may be on to something here.
40.jpg
Deadline--the maze that shows us why it's a bad idea to build a subway under an active volcano.
41.jpg
My favorite sign at HOS.
42.jpg
Best laid plans . . .
43.jpg
Hmm--that might be Italian for "zombie," unless it's some kind of pasta.
44.jpg
There's even a bit of a "pre-show."
45.jpg
Darkness falls.
46.jpg
When there's no more room in Hell . . .
47.jpg
. . . Bozo will walk the Earth!
48.jpg
"D'uh, dy-er, me scary clown! Kill you good!"
49.jpg
Their evil has even spread to the buffet!
50.jpg
That is one blue ghoul (the "Lady of the Gardens").
51.jpg
This is the entrance to Bitten. I'm reasonably sure it's cursed--but not as cursed as Drachen Fire (which inspired a lot of cursing from me).
52.jpg
Hey, just in time--may as well drink a brew and watch Fiends.
53.jpg
Who could possibly be annoyed by this wholesome family entertainment.
54.jpg
Yes, even the Jello Shooter girls are very wholesome.
55.jpg
Is that a chainsaw, or are you happy to see the nurses?
57.jpg
Things were a bit slow in the gift shop, so the Monster was out looking for victims, er, guests to get their picture taken with him. (This was pretty funny. He'd point at random people, and, by god, they'd buy a picture.)
58.JPG
The Monster chose the glasses for me, by the way. That's all--thanks for reading!

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:39 pm

I was waiting for some quality pictures from this years event. You never disappoint Chuck.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Fran1962 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:52 am

Well done Chuck!!
Thanks for the great pictures and review

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby aimster » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:34 am

Great photos! Nice to see the differences between the Williiamsburg and Tampa parks events. The only similarities are the Fiends show and the "Dark Side of the Gardens" theme. Looks like BGW has a solid event.

I make cake

Postby Brandy524 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:28 am

Great pictures, Chuck! Love to see all the coverage of different parks' events.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby Dailey Enterprizes » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:42 am

It's very interesting to see Busch Gardens Europe like this. I would like to go back just to see the park and check out the mazes. Also get another ride on Apollo's Chariot. :)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!