Philrad's Phoodie Thread

Taste Of Buffalo - 2016! Page: 16
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Philrad's Phoodie Thread

Postby jray21 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:10 pm

Key Lime pie is definitely much better there. I also loved the tire sinks. I'd love to have something cool like that in my house.

Postby Philrad71 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:23 am

My, my, my...where hast the time goneth?

Been a while since I posted in this thread, so it's time to dust it off and get back in the groove!

Our first stop is in Niagara Falls, NY at a quaint little place called The Griffon Gastropub. Who wouldn't like a place named after a great coaster? ;)

If you like a place that has a diverse microbrew selection paired with some unique menu items, this is the place for you. The Griffon has many jazzed up local favorites like wings (with some unique sauces), stuffed hot peppers & beef on weck to name a few.

Here are their beer and food menus as the photo I took of the beer menu is a bit of an eye test.

Enjoy!

Food menu link:

Food menu

Beer menu link:

Beer menu
DSC04488.JPG
Let's kick things off with a beer sampler, shall we?
DSC04489.JPG
Yep...definitely an eye test here.
DSC04490.JPG
Our first Scotch Egg. It was okay, but we both thought that the egg was a bit too rubbery and dry for our taste. Luckily the citrus mustard sauce was a nice accompaniment to combat the dry taste of the egg.
DSC04491.JPG
This bad boy is their version of the popular Vietnamese sandwich: Banh Mi. This one combined cucumber, sesame oil seared Vietnamese pork meatballs, pickled daikon radish/carrots, cilantro, jalapeno, crushed peanuts and Sriracha mayo...amazing!!!! The menu says that this sandwich is a flavor explosion in your mouth and I have to agree!
DSC04492.JPG
Luckily, the snow is now off the ground now, but here is the signage...definitely look this place up if you are in the area hitting up the Falls, Marineland or Martin's Fantasy Island!

There is also another Griffon located in Clarence, NY so this one would be on your way to Darien Lake if traveling on I-90 East. I have not been to this one, but hope to go very soon!

Postby Philrad71 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:02 am

I know that there probably aren't too many people on this site that would make Waterloo, IA their vacation destination, but if you are ever in that area (like I was for business in February), you should check out a place called Newton's Cafe in downtown.

They are renowned for what they call their Iowa Breaded Pork Tenderloin sandwich. It is basically an American version of Weinerschnitzel...but on a bun! My jaw about hit the floor when they brought out the meals. Only one of us could finish it and even he had to cut out the condiments and bun to get all of the meat down!

Newtons Cafe
015.JPG
Check out the size of this thing!

Postby jray21 » Mon May 25, 2015 10:14 am

That is by far the most amazing and big pork tenderloin sandwich I've ever seen!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon May 25, 2015 7:04 pm

Amazing on that GInormous Pork Tenderloin! I have to show my partner this,
as David is from Ames IA, and knows allll about these tasty things.
And he makes them here at home, too. Delish-ish they are. :smile:

But this.... <drools>
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Wed May 27, 2015 9:21 am

That thing is huge. They should give you two buns, cut the thing in half and save it for later.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby BigDipper 80 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:39 pm

I despise this thread because it makes me so hungry, but I love this thread because everything looks so delicious! Awesome meals as always!

Postby Philrad71 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:32 am

gisco wrote:That thing is huge. They should give you two buns, cut the thing in half and save it for later.

That is what my business partner (on the left) did. He cut all of the tenderloin around the bun and just took that home with him for dinner. We were flying out the next morning so I ended up leaving a lot of mine on the plate. :(

Postby Philrad71 » Sat May 30, 2015 9:00 am

Our next stop is down to the Buffalo waterfront to visit one of downtown's newest restaurants - 716. The name is of the area code in Western NY, which is quite clever.

Most (if not all) menu items include local favorites like Beef On Weck and chicken wings, but with a slight twist to them. A lot of the ingredients are also locally sourced or grown.

The past two times that we have tried to get into this restaurant, the wait was over two hours! Being that I won't even wait that for a coaster, we opted for other dining, waiting for the perfect time to visit.

This time was on a Sunday morning after being in Buffalo the night before for a John Mellencamp show. We got to the restaurant around 11:30 and had an early lunch before venturing down to the huge bar area for a drink (after noon, of course).

716 menu
May 2015 028.JPG
Welcome to 716. Let's have a peek inside, shall we?
May 2015 021.JPG
This is their upstairs bar...
May 2015 017.JPG
And this is their downstairs bar with a 36' long TV!
May 2015 022.JPG
They have a great beer selection, but unfortunately it was a wee bit early to have a beer with lunch.
May 2015 019.JPG
I was surprised that Michael opted for a salad, but this one was awesome!
May 2015 018.JPG
I went with a more traditional Western NY experience...a beef on weck where the weck bun was actually a salted pretzel roll.
May 2015 020.JPG
I ended up eating most of it with a knife and fork. Normal beef on wecks are on salt and caraway seeded buns (with the top bottom of the bun dipped in au jus) with only sliced roast beef and horseradish. This one had Yancey's Fancy white cheddar cheese (local) & caramelized onions along with a mild horseradish cream sauce. I would have preferred the zing of real horseradish, but this was still a very good sandwich! And the house made pickle was phenomenal!
May 2015 025.JPG
By the time we got done eating it was 12:30 so why not have a beer at the bar? Notice the ice skate blade marks in the ice-like bar top. This is due to the restaurant being in the Harbor Center right next to First Niagara Center where the Buffalo Sabres play. FYI...the beer is a Goose Island IPA!
May 2015 026.JPG
Michael opted for a Bloody Mary, which was very good...loved the stuffed celery!
May 2015 027.JPG
That is one gigantic TV!

Thanks for reading!

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Sun May 31, 2015 6:45 pm

^That sandwich looks amazing.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random