Philrad's Phoodie Thread

Taste Of Buffalo - 2016! Page: 16
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Philrad's Phoodie Thread

Postby Philrad71 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:03 pm

^Interesting...did you ever try the 4 minute eggs and if so, were they kind of gooey when you bit into it?

Here is an update from the Banshee Bash weekend. I feel guilty that I didn't take any pics from our TPR luncheon because it was really good! Mac & Cheese, fried chicken, sausage, onions, peppers, salad, Banshee cake and FREE SAM ADAMS BOSTON LAGER!!!! Great job by TPR and KI!

On the way down, we ended up getting to the Hampton quite late because we had to make the obligatory stop at Schmidt's Sausage Haus in Columbus for great food and great German beer.

Schmidts Menu

Mmmmm....German sausage haus und bier!!!! :lover:
013.JPG
Here we are in the historic German Village in Columbus, Ohio. What could be cooler than going to this iconic restaurant and then heading down to Kings Island for TPR's Banshee Bash? Methinks not much!
014.JPG
Michael was sporting his Schmidt's t-shirt from our previous visit - along with a Maß of Paulaner Oktoberfest draft which was ooooohhhh so good!
017.JPG
We had to wait for a table (plan on it if you visit - a looong one on a weekend), but we were entertained by 'Squeezin' & Wheezin' while we savored our cold beer.

I never saw their calliope crash to the ground though.
019.JPG
A bit of an eye chart, but the place mats share some information about Schmidt's and the German Village.
020.JPG
We got a front row seat! Well, okay...a 2nd row seat.

These guys are seriously a lot of fun!
022.JPG
Bit of an eye chart, so I decided to edit and post the menu link above.
024.JPG
Apparently, they don't change their menu often...here is their first new menu item in 25 years!

It looks like the schweinhaxe that I tried while in Munich during Oktoberfest - or pork knuckle.
026.JPG
Not wanting to go for the pork knuckles, I went for the Old World Sausage platter with applesauce, hot German potato salad, kraut, four different sausages and bun. Every sausage had a different flavor from spicy to mild...but all awesome! And the potato salad was to die for!
027.JPG
Michael opted for the Haus Saurbraten und Gravy which was listed as: Special marinated lean beef, braised until tender, served over German spatzel noodles with traditional gingersnap gravy, potato pancake, applesauce and a bun. It was tasty & I was very tempted to steal his red cabbage which was unreal - definitely the best red cabbage that I have ever tasted.

I think we were the only one's tipping 'Squeezin & Wheezin' but they played two songs for us for $2! :-)
029.JPG
2nd Maß - Hofbrau Lager. I should have started with this before going to the Paulaner as this one was weaker tasting compared to the darker Oktoberfest. But still better than most American beers (that aren't a microbrew). ;-)
109.JPG
After an awesome Banshee Bash, we headed home on Saturday...dragging ass after 16 hours in the park. It was well worth it though! On the way back, we had to stop at Grandpa's Cheese Barn in Ashland, Ohio. If you are ever traveling between Columbus and Cleveland on I-71, you need to stop and check this place out!
110.JPG
Two floors of homemade jams, jellies, snacks, gifts, candy, food...and of course, cheese, cheese and more cheese! The best part is that they have pretzels and free samples of TONS of food!
111.JPG
Michael checking out the sample he just tried.

This place is like an old fashioned country store with tons of mouth-watering delights. Every time we have stopped it has been very busy, so it is obviously a hit with tourists, locals and passers-by like us.
112.JPG
This is our total haul for the day - all stuff that is awesome & very bad for you!
113.JPG
Who is going to argue if Grandpa tells you "to eat more cheese!"

How about some cajun cheese curds and smoked bacon ends? I have not done anything with the bacon ends yet, but the cajun curds were OMG good!
114.JPG
Bacon cheddar cheese spread, Amish garlic butter, good & evil habanero hot sauce & a smokehouse bacon/cheddar cheeseball mix.

I have only tried the bacon cheese spread so far...it's okay, but nothing outlandish. Needs a bit stronger cheddar flavor and of course...more bacon.

I am looking very forward to trying out some popcorn drizzled with melted Amish Roll Garlic Butter this weekend!
115.JPG
We couldn't pass up on the chocolate covered Fritos and milk chocolate pecan toffee. I wasn't a fan of the Fritos, but the toffee was unreal!

Sweet & salty with the toffee, chocolate and pecans!

Even though I don't care for sweets, I must admit that I have a weakness for chocolate & toffee.

Thanks for reading!

Postby jray21 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:40 am

The food at Schmidt's looks amazing! Now i'm seriously craving some German food.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:22 am

Schmidts is awesome. I was planning to stop there after the Columbus Zoo two weeks ago, but I spent an additional 2.5 hours walking around the zoo.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby printersdevil78 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:08 pm

Add me to the list of Schmidt's fans. Their German buffet is awesome, and their cream puffs are legendary!

I've never seen chocolate-covered Fritos before. Now I'm intrigued!

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:41 am

^Perhaps I will have to check out the buffet one of these times. I have never been a big buffet person (unless it involves breakfast in Europe!), but I would imagine that they would do a pretty good one at Schmidt's.

The chocolate Fritos were okay, but the toffee bark with chocolate and pecans was waaaay better!

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:40 pm

Hi folks,

Time for another phoodie update and this one is going all over the place so I guess it deserves it's place right here in the 'Random, Random, Random' thread...enjoy!
048.JPG
August 2014 at the Erie County Fair near Buffalo. When I heard that they were having a food truck rally, we had to go!
049.JPG
The Roaming Buffalo food truck was a hit with me back at the 2013 Taste of Buffalo.
050.JPG
Mainly because of the WTF burger, but there are some other interesting selections on their menu as well.
051.JPG
The WTF burger consists of a seasoned grilled burger with chunky peanut butter, bacon and bacon jam. Not quite as good as the slider version that I had during Taste of Buffalo, but pretty good nonetheless.

I should have asked them to put the 'drunken onions' and habanero ketchup on there to give it a little more zing. The burger was a little over-cooked for my tastes too.
052.JPG
Michael opted for a slice of the 'Hummingbird Cake' from the Sweet Hearth food truck. It looked and tasted pretty much like carrot cake, which I don't care for.

Way too sweet for my liking.
056 (2).JPG
Random photo of me at Oktoberfest. Not the real one, mind you...but the one in Columbus, Ohio.

I will post a couple more photos of this event in my next update.

Pity that they use plastic glasses for the beer, but it was fun. Nothing like the real thing of course, but still a good time.
056.JPG
Wait...how did we go from Oktoberfest to Carrabbas?

Carrabbas is still the best chain restaurant that I have ever eaten at and I am sure that there are plenty of other TPR folks that would agree! ;-)

This place craps all over Olive Garden...everything I have ever had on their menu has been super delicious & so full of flavor!
063.JPG
Now where are we, you ask?

At the Beachcliff Diner somewhere in Ohio.

Loved the crooked sign...and yes, you better buckle up Lorain - I mean it!

And make sure to have some of our famous Fr La Keerie Perch while you're at it!

(Actually, the restaurant was in Lorain, Ohio) ;-)
062.JPG
The prices were ridiculously cheap. It's like I stepped back in time to the 80's!
061.JPG
Michael had the meat lover's omelet which had bacon and sausage with a "side" of crispy hash browned potatoes.

Neither of us could finish because the omelets were so huge.
060.JPG
I opted for the unusual Greek omelet which had gyro meat, feta cheese and spinach in it...so good for only about $7!

If you are ever looking for a breakfast spot heading for Cedar Point off of I-90 West, check this place out. You certainly can't beat the prices and the food was excellent.
064.JPG
The parking lot looks like it used to be one of those old fashioned drive-in diners where teenage girls would wait on you in your car while wearing polka dot mini-skirts, sporting pony-tailed hair and skating on roller skates.

Does anyone else think that carrying a big tray of food while skating around in a parking lot where there are bound to be cracks and potholes seem a little dangerous? Probably explains why you don't see them very much anymore - about the time a girl face-planted into the concrete with a tray loaded with fries, burgers and shakes would certainly be lawsuit heaven here in the good ole' USA in 2014.

I am sure that most people saw it as cheap, family-friendly entertainment back in the 50's though!
102.JPG
On the way back from Cedar Point, we stopped at the Great Lakes brewery in Cleveland.

Being my first time there, I had to try the sampler.
103.JPG
A closer look at the draft selection. Try one or try them all!

I believe that I had the Burning River (clever name for folks that know about the infamous polluted burning Cuyahoga River in Cleveland from many years ago), Nosferatu, Oktoberfest, Commodore Perry IPA and the Burning River Pale Ale.

All with plenty of hoppy goodness, which I LOVE!
104.JPG
By the time I got my meal, I had already finished three of the five samples, so I had to order another pint of Commodore Perry to go with my sausage platter - which was heavenly.

I like how they make most (if not all) of their meals with locally made products.
105.JPG
Michael opted for the Monte Christo sandwich which was just okay in my opinion. The sausage platter was much better.

Thanks for reading...more to come soon!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:29 pm

Damn. First, Adam does his recap of EPCOT's Food and Wine visits (FOOD),
Now you summarize your several trips with....FOOD! And DRINK!

I can't take this <drool> any more! ;)

Great recap by the way.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Pro Rock-O-Plane Flyer

Postby nannerdw » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:29 pm

Never heard of "bacon jam." It sounds really good.

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:21 am

^^ Thanks Bill!

^ I had never heard of bacon jam either. The first time I had the slider version at Taste of Buffalo, it seemed like it was more prevalent...this time, not so much. To be honest, I wish that they would offer the slider version as that was just made specifically for the Taste of Buffalo event. Those just seemed to hold more flavor than the bigger burger.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:03 pm

^ We found a jar of bacon marmalade on a recent food shopping trip. Made by President's
Choice! Doesn't taste too bad. Very sweet with bits of bacon in it, instead of the (usual) fruit rind.
IMG_3309.JPG
And it keeps very well in the fridge.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random