Philrad's Phoodie Thread

Taste Of Buffalo - 2016! Page: 16
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Philrad's Phoodie Thread

Postby Philrad71 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:39 pm

^That is interesting about the bulbs in the giant TV...I didn't know that!

716 in terms of crowds is all dependent on when you go. Try going when there is a Sabres or Bandits game and you probably won't get a table unless you get there around 3-4:00 PM (or make reservations).

If it is a weeknight and there isn't anything going on downtown, you can probably walk right in and get a table with no wait. We went twice when there was a three hour wait (Bandits game one time and a concert on a weekend) but the other time was right before noon on a Sunday and the place was dead. The night of Wingfest was busy, but the wait time for a table wasn't long.

I have only had the beef on weck there and that was pretty good. I really liked their homemade pickles too, but the chips were "meh". I would like to go back to sample more food, so when I do, I will make sure to post the photos and my reviews on here!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby coasterkid124 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:00 pm

^Thanks for the info!

I was about to go this past Sunday for my birthday with a group of friends, but decided against it due to there being a Sabres preseason game, and nobody had the food there before. I'm definitely looking to give it a shot soon, though.
I'm actually not a kid; it's my nickname. I'm the youngest guy at my job. Only until after I created my account did I realize it made my sound like I'm 12. "Giddy up"- Cosmo Kramer Finally got an avatar!
Darien Lake coaster drought: 16 years and counting.....

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:18 am

^It would have definitely been packed - you made the right call!

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:11 am

Hi folks!

It's been a while since my last update so here are a couple recent explorations...

The first place we visit is Dinosaur BBQ in downtown Buffalo. Some of you from the NY area (especially Syracuse) probably well know about this popular BBQ joint. Although I don't consider myself a BBQ connoisseur by any means, if I had to rank the places that I have visited, I would say that Dinosaur and Famous Dave's are my two favorite chain BBQ joints.

Menu

The 2nd place on our tour is a stop at a place called Melt Bar and Grilled just outside of Cleveland, OH. After visiting CP on Friday night, this made a good stopping point on the 3.5 hour drive back.

I believe that this place was on Man Vs. Food where Adam tried to down 'The Melt Challenge' which is one of those insanely amount of food challenges. I think this one featured a grilled cheese with what seemed to be 100 slices of cheese along with fries and slaw.

We opted for the 'Chicken and Waffles' (which is exactly what it sounds like) and 'The Dude Abides' (which was the equivalent of a meatball parm sub). As we figured, both sandwiches were way too much to eat in one sitting so half of each one came home with us.

I had never had chicken and waffles but now I know why this is becoming more and more popular. While I am not a big fan of just plain waffles and syrup, the chicken definitely adds something here. I threw on a bit more Sriracha to give the sweet flavor a nice kick. The description mentioned Sriracha butter and pepper jack cheese on it, but I think that they both got lost within the other flavors.

The Dude Abides tasted just like a meatball parm sub so I wasn't as impressed with that. Good yes, but nothing extraordinary. Speaking of extraordinary, the fries were delicious! Fresh cut with salt and pepper seasoning tossed on them before ending up on your plate.

I definitely want to go back here and try some of their other sandwich options soon. The Korean War Pig, Mighty Macaroni & Mushroom Melt all sounded really good!

Menu
023.JPG
Dino BBQ is always "Om Nom Nom" inducing!
020.JPG
I got the 1/2 rib and 1/2 chicken platter with cajun corn/roasted zucchini and BBQ fried rice with fried meats. One thing that I like about this place is their side dishes are almost as good as the BBQ'ed meats!
021.JPG
Michael got the ribs and brisket with the same BBQ fried rice and the cucumber & sumpin' salad. Glad I didn't order this as I am not a big fan of the "sumpin'" which turned out to be raw tomatoes (yuk).
022.JPG
As most BBQ places, they have three or four bottles of sauce that you can use as dip.

I really liked the Wango Tango Habanero.
058.JPG
Next stop - Melt!
061.JPG
The decor was interesting with a lot of Cleveland-related historical stuff. They even had an old Euclid Beach sign!
065.JPG
It's hard to see, but I liked that their coolers had old school video game looks to them. You can sort of make out the Galaxian one.

I wonder if they have to pay Dairy Queen any royalties for having their sign up in their restaurant? Or vice versa? ;-)
059.JPG
The menu's are printed on old album covers! I got the smooth styling's of Grover Washington Jr!
060.JPG
Bit of an eye chart, but here is the menu. The link will show you one that is less blurry.
062.JPG
Here is 'The Dude Abides'. No clue on where they came up with that name.
063.JPG
And here is the more suitably titled 'Chicken & Waffles. Like how am I going to get my mouth around that???
064.JPG
Throw on some Sriracha and dig into it with a fork and knife, that's how!!

Thanks for reading!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:31 pm

^ Wow, I feel like anybody got totally gypped on the "chicken and waffle" we got at the PNE
last August. There were a few sauces to add to it, but on the whole, I found mine to be dry
and the chicken itself wasn't very good. Lacking in juiciness, I wouldn't go back to that one.

But yours shows there are others in the world.... :b :br

It all, as usual, looks awesome, Phil.
IMG_7767.JPG
Here's mine. Not very exciting, huh? :P
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby Philrad71 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:39 pm

Have to agree with you there, Bill...that does look pretty dry! ;)

Although I admitted to Michael that while I liked it, the waffle and the bread was just too much. My preference would have been for them to grill the waffle in butter and then use that for the bun and leave the bread out completely.

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:52 pm

Last weekend we were bored so we decided to head up to Buffalo just for something to do. We ended up eating at a restaurant called Bar Bill in a town called East Aurora which is just outside of Buffalo. After reading a Yelp review, it sounded like the place to go for good beer and traditional Buffalo grub...or in simpler terms....WINGS!

One item that wasn't proudly displayed on the menu, but was raved about on Yelp were 'The Sicilians' or Parmesan garlic wings. When I saw this, I knew that I had to try them!

A word of advice if you visit...make reservations! We got there around 3:00 on a Saturday afternoon and there was an hour long wait at the door. We left and did a bit of Christmas shopping at the retro cool, Vidler's five and dime down the street.

Of note, Vidler's is actually in the bidding to win a 30 second spot during the Super Bowl as one of the "shop local" contests being run. From my understanding, Vidler's is down to the final three selections! I really hope that they win as this is one of the coolest stores that I have ever been in - quirky and just plain fun.

Here is the menu for Bar Bill if you happen to be in the area...just remember that the place is small and very busy!

Bar Bill
Capture.JPG
Hi, my name is Bar Bill.

Nice to meet you Bar Bill, I am curious to try your wings and things.

(Photo from Google images)
vidlers2.jpg
One hour for a table so we walked down to the ultra retro and very cool Vidler's 5 and 10.

Sure hope they win their Super Bowl commercial bid!!

(Photo from Google images)
20151114_170223_resized.jpg
Upon our return, we still had to wait close to an hour for a table....this place is very popular!

Here you can see that we are seated right next to the kitchen where the wing preps actually take each wing and baste it with sauce versus shaking them all in a bucket. How cool is that?
20151114_171511_resized.jpg
And this guy over here? He is carving up fresh roast beef for another Buffalo favorite - Beef On Weck....right at the bar!
20151114_171602_resized.jpg
Michael split his order and got the Honey Butter BBQ (left) and the Teriyaki (right).

Love their presentation versus just throwing them in a pile.
20151114_171549_resized.jpg
And here are 'The Sicilians' which is garlic sauce topped with grated parmesan. OMG...these are awesome! They also make their own bleu cheese, which was outstanding...two thumbs up!

Thanks for reading!

Postby jray21 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:25 pm

Besides the blue cheese, those all look amazing!!!! How were the honey butter BBQ?

Postby Philrad71 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:50 pm

^ The Honey Butter BBQ were good, but I thought that they needed just a little something else to make them even better. Perhaps a little hot sauce, more butter or more BBQ - or all of the above.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:34 pm

Philrad71 wrote:... - or all of the above.

:lol:

Best Food Answer Ever.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random