TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SF Great America tips.

Inuk

Hello,

I am planning on going to SFGA in July, and I am looking for any park tips.

Also, since I am going during the busy season I was considering using the Flash Pass. I did not see Great America on the Lo-Q website, so how does their flash pass work? Is it simular to SFMM, where they give you tickets?

Thanks for any help provided.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is the same thing as SFMM.

Four rides for $20 (or somehwhere around there). You can use it at:

-Superman: Ultimate Flight

-V2: Vertical Velocity

-Batman: The Ride

-Iron Wolf

-Whizzer

-Giant Drop

-Logger's Run

-Raging Bull

Keep in mind that the list can change on a daily basis, so make sure you look at the sign stating which rides are FlashPass available that day.

Some tips (I haven't gone this season yet, but these tips generally work year to year.)

(1) Hit Superman first! Get to the park before it opens, and join the line that forms on the midway. This will prevent the 1 hr+ wait later.

(2) Head over to Ragin' Cajun if you want, otherwise, go to Batman and V2.

Also: Hit Yankee Clipper if you want- it's one of the only Arrow Hydroflumes that still is around and still "jumps." (It really is insane!)

(3) Continue the same direction, hitting Iron Wolf and American Eagle. If possible, ride the red side in the front seat. It is a great ride there. Also, the red side is smoother than blue and has more (and better) bunny hills.

(4) Hit Deja Vu (if open) and Demon. Ride in the back on Demon- smoother ride and insane air on the first drop. Brace yourself during the dive into the corkscrews.

(5) Go to Whizzer and ride

(6) Ride Viper or Raging Bull (in no particular order). Viper almost always has a 30 minute line, usually no longer. Ride in the front car for best ride. Raging Bull will probably have a long line, but it should be fine, because 3 trains are usually running. Ride in the back on Raging Bull.

There is a food court near Deja Vu (called Farmer's Market) that has almost anything you'd want. It also has ample seating, and there is quite a bit of shaded seating.

Oh, BTW, if you don't feel like spending a crapload for a Coke, just ask for a cup of water. They'll give it to you at nearly every place in the park. In fact, if you ask for one, they might give you a large.

Im actually heading to SFGAm this saturday.

Must Rides:

Vertical Velocity

Raging Bull

Batman the Ride

Viper

Giant Drop

Superman (If you havnt been on a flyer before give it a try, otherwise its a sucky ride)

Demon

American Eagle

Pretty much what pvcoaster guy said.

Head left towards Superman when you get into the park. For some reason 90% of the crowd heads to the right (must be a human herding instinct). You can easily get through Superman, V2, Batman, Ragin Cajun with in a hour or so, which comes in handy when you get to Raging Bull, as the line is always long. Not to mention you save the best two coasters in the park for last (RB and Viper!).

If necessary, you can walk back to the entrance/driveway of the park and head over to Burger King for lunch to save some bucks.

Not so much advice, but when I was there a few weeks ago the operations on most rides were excellent. The queue for Raging Bull was out to the entrance, but it only took half an hour to get on. This was with two trains running.

Superman and Rajin' Cajun took a very long time to load, so definately go to Superman first thing, as others have already mentioned.

Iron Wolf's queue is a little annoying in that the line for the front is right where you enter the station and there's no extra queue bit for it so while the line for the front blocks the rest of the line, they send out half empty trains. If you don't want to ride in the front, be aware of this since you might end up waiting longer than you have to.

^See when that happens I say..."are you waiting for the front"...if they say no. Then I say "well we can go to the other side". I usually ask everyone in front of me. Then we usually all walk past them and go to the other side If it happens, get the peoples attention, and don't be afraid of saying "excuse me, i'm not waiting for the front"...and then go.

I will note my opinion on some of the rides:

The Whizzer- not a great THRILL ride per se, but worth going on for the Shwarzkopf credit.

The Demon- Short and to the point, usually not much of a wait.

Viper- Must Ride!!! It doesn't look like much, but well worth the wait. If the attendents let you, leave your lap bar up an extra notch for extra airtime. Legally speaking I must remind you that THIS MAY be dangerous to do so. I always do if I can get away with it. Lots of airtime on this one.

Raging Bull- Line moves fast no matter how full- MUST RIDE!!! - excellent coaster all the way thru- one of my favorite B&M's.

American Eagle- Ride the Red (Forward) side- better track layout after the helix. Blue side (Backward) is OKAY for the novelty, but not worth the wait if you can ride something else instead.

Deja Vu- If it's operatiing, get on it.

Iron Wolf- a fun B&M standup coaster, but a bit of a headbanger, and they never have gotten the loading procedures right in all the years it's been open.

Batman- If you have one at your local Six Flags (even though this was the first B&M inverted ever) you COULD skip it if the lines are long. Been there done that kinda thing, but I still love it.

Vertical Velocity- worth a 30-45 min wait, no more than that. Sit at one end of the train or the other. The back to me is more fun.

Superman- if you have never been on a flyer, start here. Semi-slow load times, but worth the wait if you haven't been on Tatsu.

Ragin' Cajun- You could skip this. Fun, ONCE, kinda rough really.

Fiddler's Fling- Great flat ride, prepare to get Smooshed into your seat.

The Orbit- a typical Enterprise ride, but always surprisingly fun.

Farmer's Market- best variety of food in the park. Typically overpriced.

Firehouse Pizza- best pizza in the park, but make no mistake, this is still just generic food, though better than the other outlets. This is NOT Chicago-Style, but it's not bad.

Hurricane Harbor- If it's hot enough and you have the time, this place is a blast!!!

Hope this helps.

I will be going to the park this weeked. Those tips rock my world- thanks everyone.

I just got back from SFOG and the load time on Superman was insane long. I will def. hit Supes first, and then Cajun and V2. I am hoping Deja Vu will be working; I have been lucky enought to get on the ones in CA and GA so I want to complete the set.

Thanks again for the tips- I will post a report when I return.

Just returned from my trip, and overall I had a good time.

I tend to be VERY biased against the previous SF administration- which I took out on their parks. However new management must equal a more tolerant state of mind for me because I was impressed at SFGA. It seems like the most logical SF park that I have been to (in terms of layout and themeing/ lands and guest service).

I loved Demon- very compfortable for an old Arrow looper- plus the lights in the long tunnel where cheesey and fun... I loved it!

Viper was great- a well maintained woodie as was American Eagle.

I also loved the Whizzer- it backed more of a punch then I was told it would!

I was wicked dissapointed in Raging Bull- I had basically no air time in the front row- major bummer.

Everything else was... well a clone. But the park was clean and Deja Vue was open (all morn. at least)!

Thanks again for the tips- they helped a lot.