TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Mapping Site?

imbordisux

Well, we're pretty much all set for our vacation, except for the driving directions. Neither of us have ever done a lot of travelling, or are handy with reading maps, and we're a bit nervous about getting lost.

I've already printed-out directions from Mapquest, Yahoo, Google, and Maps On Us, but I still don't feel secure in them - from personal experience, I know Mapquest occasionally screws-up directions (I've had left and right reversed), and the other three aren't very accurate, often not finding the exact location I'm searching for (for instance, two couldn't find "Holiday World", and instead just directed me to the town of Santa Claus, IN). I will begin printing-out directions from the Rand-McNally site tomorrow, as well.

So, what do all you coaster-enthusiasts use to find your way?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Mapquest, but I always double check with the official site of the location I'm travelling to to make sure they're correct, since most amusement park websites have directions listed from general areas.

Take a look at the satellite pictures right around where you are going-then you can check what they say vs what the road looks like. Also, a good map of the area you are going to (most states have really good maps for free) should get you to the area-where any good business should be able to direct you. Keep the park's phone number handy so you can call if you just can't find the turnoff.

Ask. com has a mapsite as well, and did you try Yahoo beta with picture?

http://maps.ask.com/maps

to be honest I do it the old fashioned way.

Every year I buy the newest Rand McNally atlas from either Target or Wal-Mart (usually around 5 bucks) and I use that. If I need a real 'local' street Mapquest usually is pretty good, so is the Rand McNally Streetfinder software. If you have time in advance, Google the Chamber of Commerce for the towns/counties that you need the real 'local' maps from, send them an e-mail and your home address and they will send you a TON of info to your house and usually lots of maps. Hey, it works for me.

James is a guy who takes after my own heart.

I too buy paper maps and atlases. I get directions online and check them against the maps.

If all is hunky dory, I use the directions and have the map in standby as I'm driving.

If the directions have 'issues' I edit them as necessary, print both, and have the map in standby as I'm driving.

I generally don't get lost, but if I do, I have a way to correct the problem!