TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Stretch Run

Jonathan

The NHL is back from the Olympic break, and every game is critical from here on as most teams have about 25 games left until the playoffs. My Hurricanes have a chance to regain first overall in the league with a win tonight, and there was a great article on the team in USA Today this morning. It would be amazing if they could get back to the finals, but the East is going to be tough this year. The top 5 teams in the conference (Carolina, Ottawa, New York Rangers, Buffalo, Philadelphia) are all loaded, and then some of the lower seeds could be big spoilers (I wouldn't be surprised at all if the New Jersey Devils ended up going to the Finals).

The Western Conference isn't quite as loaded on the upper end, but there is a much more interesting race for the bottom playoff spots. The 5th place Canucks and 11th place Wild are only separated by 10 points. Detroit should finish atop the conference in the regular season, although Dallas has been fantastic at times. I like Minnesota, and really want them to make the playoffs, but they are 5 points out and have the hardest remaining schedule of any team in the entire league, so it's probably not going to happen.

The awards races are clearing up a bit as well. At this point Jagr looks like he will be tough to beat for the Hart, and Ovechkin should be a lock for the Calder (good god that kid is incredible). He actually has a good shot at the Rocket Richard. I've been proud of Eric Staal, who is in the top 5 in goals and points, but I don't think he has much of a shot at catching Jagr. At goalie, I think right now Hendrik Lundqvist has got to be considered one of the favorites for the Vezina, which is amazing, since no one even really knew who he was coming in to the season. He's been one of the many big surprises in the league this year.

How has this season been for any of you hockey fans out there?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How has this season been for any of you hockey fans out there?

Painful, depressing, urge to gouge my eyes out with a spoon everytime I watch a game.

Seeing what changes have to be made, but knowing hell will freeze over before it happens.

I can only hope Dallas takes the lead in the western conference. Because then, the city of Dallas will have two teams leading their conferences, Stars and Mavs!

It's possible, the Stars are only 4 points back for the conference.

I have three words for you:

"Miracle on Figueroa".

Best game I've ever gone to.

GO KINGS!!!

The trade deadline is upon us. Thursday at 3 PM EST. The floodgates have opened; so far today:

Montreal Canadiens acquire goaltender Jose Theodore from the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for goaltender David Aebischer.

Los Angeles Kings acquire forward Mark Parrish and defenceman Brent Sopel from the New York Islanders in exchange for defenceman Denis Grebeshkov, forward Jeff Tambellini and a conditional third round pick.

San Jose Sharks acquire forward Ville Nieminen from the New York Rangers in exchange for a third round draft pick in 2006.

Toronto Maple Leafs acquire defenceman Luke Richardson from the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for a conditional draft pick.

Edmonton Oilers acquired goaltender Dwayne Roloson from the Minnesota Wild in exchange for a first round pick and a conditional 3rd round draft pick.

• 4 weeks later...

Good for you. My Kings aren't looking too good right now, so I'm not too sure they'll make it in the playoffs. And stupid Vancouver and Edmonton are ahead of us, which makes it even worse (they're 2 of our biggest rivals). Oh, and I won't even mention San Jose and Dallas.

RRRRR.

-Amanda "Go Kings, anyways" V.

I for one am glad the NHL made the changes that it did. most of all, the elimination of ties from the game. I don't know about you, but I get kinda ticked when I tune into a game, and there's no winner at the end. It's why I never got into soccer either.

Other than that, I haven't paid much attention to what's going on...mainly because my Penguins are still the worst team in the league...I'm sure they'll be forced to move soon, so yet another Southern city can have a team...I mean, god forbid a Southern city be without any pro sports team these days (No offense to any southerners on this board of course ) I mean look how quickly Charlotte regained an NBA team when the Hornets left.

Doug "Embittered Northerner" Booth

• 3 weeks later...

It's playoff time!

Quarterfinals:

Eastern Conference

(1) Ottawa vs. (8) Tampa Bay

(2) Carolina vs. (7) Montreal

(3) New Jersey vs. (6) NY Rangers

(4) Buffalo vs. (5) Philadelphia

Western Conference

(1) Detroit vs. (8) Edmonton

(2) Dallas vs. (7) Colorado

(3) Calgary vs. (6) Anaheim

(4) Nashville vs. (5) San Jose

I'm glad to see there are at least a couple hockey fans out there on this forum... I was about to start a new thread about the playoffs, but found this one...

This is absolutely the best time of the year; all the parks opening up and the playoffs starting at the same time.

The Sabres-Flyers game was great. Robert Esche probably would of played the best game of his career if they won. The flyers so many great scoring chanes in OT that I cant even believe they let this one go. My prediction for the next games, Peter Forsberg, the best hockey player in the world, will go crazy and have like 12 points over the series. The Flyers will win. Trust me.

Well, here are my photos from tonight's Carolina/Montreal game: http://jonathanhawkins.net/photos/thumbnails.php?album=112

I was going to post a full photo trip report, but I'm pretty ashamed after the 6-1 ass beating we received, so I'll hold off on that. Maybe game 2 will be better.

Yea I was expecting more from Carolina to start off the post-season. Hopefully they'll get it together.

Those are the first pics I've seen of the RBC Center though, not too bad. I lived in Greensboro a year before they moved down from Hartford, and I never got to see an NHL game while they played there. How many people does that place hold?