TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Intamin Lapbars

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^If I'm correct OTSR stands for over the shoulder restraint...OTSRs on a woodie? From what I've experienced OTSRs limit movement, T-bars just hold your lower body in. Woodies provide an 'out of control' feeling, which would be defeated by an OTSR. I guess if a t-bar was stapled tight you wouldn't fly out of your seat as much, but that's how it is with any restraint and it would be MUCH worse with a restraint going over your shoulders. Also, imagine how much a restraint like that would hurt on a rough woodie.

That's good to hear. I get to ride American Eagle at SFGam this summer, I hope that one is smooth even though it's fairly old [any ideas?], but the ones I really want to ride [Colossus and Balder] will probably have to wait a while since they're so far away from me and I don't have the funds for a trip like that.

Viper is a great woodie, and has some good airtime. American Eagle however is a little outdated, but still apcks a punch. The first drop is intense and bone rattling with some good bunny hops, but everything after the helix is sort of boring. Just my opinion.

Part of the fun of a wooden coaster experience is the feeling of being out of control. OTSR's would totally take away from that. You can't have a woodie with shoulder restraints. Look at SoB - they made that thing with lapbars because OTSR's on a wooden coaster would be ludacris! I'm not saying there aren't a couple, but look at the openness feeling on Storm Runner vs Dragster or something along those lines. I wouldn't want to be taking overbanked turns on a wooden coaster and having my neck chopped by the evil shoulder restraints!

yeah but the OTSR's dont staple you in at all. It is more free of movement.

I don't understand how something that holds your entire upper body in is more free of movement, but I guess to each their own.

Viper is a great woodie, and has some good airtime. American Eagle however is a little outdated, but still apcks a punch. The first drop is intense and bone rattling with some good bunny hops, but everything after the helix is sort of boring. Just my opinion.

Thank you! I've been looking for a review of American Eagle all day. The site I usually get reviews on specific rides/coasters from is down for some reason and I haven't found anything else yet except reviews of entire parks. I didn't really want to post a thread asking for reviews of a bunch of coasters, so your comment was very helpful.

Part of the fun of a wooden coaster experience is the feeling of being out of control. OTSR's would totally take away from that. You can't have a woodie with shoulder restraints. Look at SoB - they made that thing with lapbars because OTSR's on a wooden coaster would be ludacris! I'm not saying there aren't a couple, but look at the openness feeling on Storm Runner vs Dragster or something along those lines. I wouldn't want to be taking overbanked turns on a wooden coaster and having my neck chopped by the evil shoulder restraints!

If El Toro rides like Balder, it wont feel like its out of control. Im absolutely sure it will be a fantastic ride, but it probably wont throw you around at all. And OTSR on an Intamin woodie wouldnt hurt your neck because your neck probably wouldnt touch the OTSR at all during the ride.

^^FRom all of the great reviews I've heard about Balder, I hope El Toro will too. Anyway, the Intamin woodie lapbars look pretty comfortable. The one Intamin Restraint that I hate is the horse collar. Especially on Storm Runner and KK. They just hurt on some parts of the ride.

BTW, does the woodie lapbar have a seatbelt?

Thank you! I've been looking for a review of American Eagle all day. The site I usually get reviews on specific rides/coasters from is down for some reason and I haven't found anything else yet except reviews of entire parks. I didn't really want to post a thread asking for reviews of a bunch of coasters, so your comment was very helpful.

No problem.

You'll find that while American Eagle is impressive to look at, there isn't really much going for it anymore. The blue side is best, if it's running, and make sure you hold on tight on the final breakrun...it has some good whiplash action! The lapbars and seatbelt could be a bit more comfortable though.

Viper looks small but is really layed out well and has a few hidden surprises, plus it's gotten a bit rough over the years especially on the first 2 turns! (squeaky wheels). The seats are a tight squeeze, and the lapbars are ok.

The RO's dont really check the restraints in this park, so you can get away with leaving it a bit loose to maximize airtime! Have fun!