TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Monsters Inc. TR and Pics

Well, being bored today I decided to drive over to DCA and check out Monsters Inc., since it's been in a soft open mode for about a week now.

The new area surrounding the ride looks nice, especially with the new fountain in the middle. The area in front of "Vine & Dine" restaurants has been blocked off in a more permanent fashion. (Some have suggested that the new coaster is going there--WRONG. Hint: Chineese fortune cookies? Bye bye!)(BTW--If you like the GG bridge, soon the only place to see it will be in SF!)

Granted, the new facade looks nice, but does it live up the Disney style??

The queue area is EXACTLY the same as Superstar Limo, with the obvious changes to the signs (Thank God that they left out Joan Rivers!!)

The ride vehicles are the same, except now they have been themed to taxis-- same screens on the left side, simple lap bar etc...

From what I could tell, the layout of the track is also exactly the same as well. It even starts out in the same stupid "tunnel" that SSL had.

The premise of the ride is that you are taking a Taxi ride through Monstropolis. While in the tunnel, an emergency alert comes on the TV monitor from the CDA saying that a child was now loose in the city, and then you are immediately thrown into the movie, starting with the panic in the streets with monsters being interviewed by TV crews (Same ones you saw on the monitor) telling of the horrors of the loose child and powers it has.

Then you are taken into Harry Hausens to see the trashed restaurant. Sully, Mike and Boo looking to sneak into MI headquarters. You see the two monsters who idolize Sully at a timeclock, and then are taken into the restroom (A very nicely done set). While Sully waits for boo in the stall and Mike saying "hurry", you see a GREAT vanishing Randall (angled mirrors).

You then see Randall removing Boo's door and sending it into the warehouse. You then enter the warehouse of doors - which is nicely done, lots of moving doors at all kinds of angles. Probably the best part of the ride.

You see an open door with the movie clip of the guy with a sock getting jumped by the CDA. Then you see Boo beating Randall, changing colors and patterns with each hit. (Really coo1)

It ends with you being cleansed by a CDA crew and then No.1 saying something to you (a la a live character). It also looks like they've left the final camera shots in place (Remember "YOU'RE the star from SSL??). But, like SSL, no real photos to be purchased, nor does it look like there is a stand set up for that.

I only rode once and really had no desire to ride again. To me, it's somewhat of a disappointment. Granted, it's head and shoulders above SSL, but it could have been a little slower (you race through it pretty quickly) and told a more complete story. The animatronics are simple at best (by Disney standards). Leaving the opening tunnel the same just lost a lot of credibility with me. The 2 effects using Randall are really, really good. Especially the restroom scene. It's just too bad that the rest of the ride doesn't live up to... well, what I has hoping for.

I think one thing that could have made quite a difference is that in the "warehouse" the ride could have been elevated, (or the floor lowered) to give the effect of being in the middle of the space (like in the movie) as opposed to being on the floor, looking up at everything.

Overall, it's a solid "C-ticket" ride, geared towards children (probably <10 years old) and families. In that aspect, it is a good addition to the park, as it does need more "family" rides with children in mind.

Sorry there aren't more pics, but I didn't want to use my flash in the ride (ruining it for others riding) other wise I'd post more.

Sad thing is (with my typing speed) it took longer to write this report than to drive down there, park @ DTD, ride MI, Eat a soup bowl, walk back to my car and drive home.

Oh well.

JJ

MI08.jpg.df020715f85650308595322c7f74837a.jpg

No.1 at the end of the ride.

MI07.jpg.5fc31f70ffeee9afb2712301bc99b01e.jpg

The actual Taxis

MI06.jpg.89fdcdb4e8bbe3f552c51b3f724925b8.jpg

Inside posters

MI05.jpg.72a2ed8a541c11483046588e2682a1aa.jpg

MTA Screen (Where Joan Rivers was)

MI04.jpg.9bcbff020d7d45e614624ecd68f00b2e.jpg

Inside queue

MI03.jpg.a4d8e286de13c6e2623cb8665e9799e8.jpg

Inside queue

MI10.jpg.09ab27756672c7437b075b65bcce35f7.jpg

Entrance Fountain

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey chaos you have a good point there. SSL did seem to fit better into Hollywood Backlot since the area is all about Hollywood but then again it wasnt disney. I would rather it be something Disney! Althought it sucked major (harsh cuss words added) arse!!!! I have seen a vid on Monsters Inc. It looks ten trillion times better. Weather it fits into hollywood backlot I really dont care. It looks like a much better ride and its Disney!!

Mike"Superstar Limo was extremely annoying"B

Nice TR!

I havn't ridden either SSL or MI:M&STTR (they need to trim that name) but I have seen videos of both, and Monsters Inc looks like a MAJOR improvement.

Does the queue have a claustrophobic hallway like all the other new Disneyland rides?

Personally, I never had a problem with Superstar Limo. It fit the area, and yes it was cornball, but so what. So now they've replaced a C-Ticket with another C-Ticket. And from what I've heard about this ride, nothing about it will get me to make a trip to the park.

If you didn't have an AP, would you make the effort to ride it?

It really annoys me that the park is really not getting anything "new" for years to come. This is why I didn't re-new my pass in 2004, 2005, and looks like I won't be in 2006 either!

I'd like new attractions please, not just a bunch of rehabs!

--Robb "When the HK version of Space Mountain is better than the over-hyped rehab of DL's you know something is wrong!" Alvey

dca needs a good family ride... a bugs land is a bore for parents, and all of the other rides in the park are to high or to creepy for little kids. Good job eisner.

I think DCA was meant to be a more "teenager" park, sort of the disney version of state fair/Knott's/Magic Mountain-except with "Disneyfied" rides.

I mean, they tamed down Mullholland Madness-aren't Wild Mouse rides supposed to be rough? And yet they still managed to hurt people on Calfornia Screamin'?

Maybe they need a REAL woodie AND a Silver Bullet/Tatsu suspended style coaster. Plus a Fireball or Giant Frisbee. Maybe a Twin Flip or Space Shuttle (or a non-lethal Mission Space).

Plus they need to bring back the People Mover and use it as a shuttle from the main park to DCA and rework the Monorail track to have a stop at the back of DCA, say right around the coasters...

dca needs a good family ride... a bugs land is a bore for parents, and all of the other rides in the park are to high or to creepy for little kids. Good job eisner.

I think DCA was meant to be a more "teenager" park, sort of the disney version of state fair/Knott's/Magic Mountain-except with "Disneyfied" rides.

I mean, they tamed down Mullholland Madness-aren't Wild Mouse rides supposed to be rough? And yet they still managed to hurt people on Calfornia Screamin'?

Maybe they need a REAL woodie AND a Silver Bullet/Tatsu suspended style coaster. Plus a Fireball or Giant Frisbee. Maybe a Twin Flip or Space Shuttle (or a non-lethal Mission Space).

Plus they need to bring back the People Mover and use it as a shuttle from the main park to DCA and rework the Monorail track to have a stop at the back of DCA, say right around the coasters...

At first I was going to say that if they did all that it wouldn't be a Disney park at all, then I saw your eye roll!

Chris B