TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

^I visited Great Adventure this year, and I'm sorry, our park is not a "premier park" anymore, nor is it a "pretty park" anymore. I personally think Fiesta Texas is better themed, but I was very impressed with Great Adventure, their ride operations, and just the quality of the rides in general. El Toro is INCREDIBLE.

As far as a new ride, wouldn't shock me if it's a super loop. Six Flags is quite notorious for putting the same thing in ALL it's parks. How many Batman clones are we up to now? It seems like they get scared of doing something different, I was shocked when they had Texas Giant renovated instead of letting another park or Cedar Fair do a conversion first. If Six Flags wants to bring some punch back to SFoT to make it more relevant again, then they should build their first Giga Coaster in the chain here. I like Titan, I really do, but if you compare it to many other rides like it, it's a Texas size disappointment.

^I visited Great Adventure this year, and I'm sorry, our park is not a "premier park" anymore, nor is it a "pretty park" anymore. I personally think Fiesta Texas is better themed, but I was very impressed with Great Adventure, their ride operations, and just the quality of the rides in general. El Toro is INCREDIBLE.

As far as a new ride, wouldn't shock me if it's a super loop. Six Flags is quite notorious for putting the same thing in ALL it's parks. How many Batman clones are we up to now? It seems like they get scared of doing something different, I was shocked when they had Texas Giant renovated instead of letting another park or Cedar Fair do a conversion first. If Six Flags wants to bring some punch back to SFoT to make it more relevant again, then they should build their first Giga Coaster in the chain here. I like Titan, I really do, but if you compare it to many other rides like it, it's a Texas size disappointment.

Honestly, I felt like SFOT was very well themed. Gigas are expensive, but I agree that the park would fare well buying one. However, if you look at the park's lineup, it is pretty solid:

RMC Hybrid with crazy airtime

Old Schwarzkopf Looper with crazy out-of-control airtime

Out-and-back family woodie (that has floater airtime!)

Giovanola blackout hyper with extended bonus helix

Intamin bobsled

Funky original Arrow mine train

Amazing super messed up Premier shuttle coaster

Family indoor coaster

Super forceful classic B&M invert

Decent Gerstlauer spinner

Two kiddie coasters

By the way, the website had a teaser, so I signed up.

It seems like they get scared of doing something different, I was shocked when they had Texas Giant renovated instead of letting another park or Cedar Fair do a conversion first.

I'm not sure thats totally a fair statement, Six Flags was the first to take a chance on B&M and RMC, the first to use the next gen technology and ride vehicles for JL:B4M, the first to take a chance on the arrow log flume, and so on. When a ride such as batman is super popular and is a fan favorite, why not clone it? The design work is done, just the engineering that needs to be tweaked.

Not trying to say anything ill of your statement, so don't take it as such, but cloned rides do have a place. Sure a super loop is yawn to coaster nerds who see them all the time, but the same can be said for the fliers that have made a come back, or bumper cars, etc. IMO a new ride is a new ride, it may not appeal to all, but if it brings people in the gate with fistfulls of cash then I'm all for it as eventually the park budget will grow to a point that placing the next world's first will come.

I never see young kids in line for the runaway mountain!! Since it is in the dark it is more extreme, plus in the back right after the mcbr, there is an insane high g pulling drop SFOT is really a hidden gem. ESPECIALLY the Texas and Mexico and Spain sections!! the theming is great.^Great statement!

Hopefully we do get something big and new! Perhaps we'll see some activity happening after this week since it's the last fully operational week of the summer season?

I was at the park on the 17th after about a year since my last visit and mannnnn does Titan need some new paint. That thing is so faded out! NTaG also looks pretty faded out as well. La Vibora looked great after they re-painted it... hopefully they can do the same for the other rides.

Honestly, I felt like SFOT was very well themed. Gigas are expensive, but I agree that the park would fare well buying one. However, if you look at the park's lineup, it is pretty solid:

RMC Hybrid with crazy airtime

Old Schwarzkopf Looper with crazy out-of-control airtime

Out-and-back family woodie (that has floater airtime!)

Giovanola blackout hyper with extended bonus helix

Intamin bobsled

Funky original Arrow mine train

Amazing super messed up Premier shuttle coaster

Family indoor coaster

Super forceful classic B&M invert

Decent Gerstlauer spinner

Two kiddie coasters

By the way, the website had a teaser, so I signed up.

Don't get me wrong, you make fair points. I just personally feel that with our park being privately owned and managed by Six Flags only that it hurts us. I'm just on the bandwagon of, this is TEXAS. Our Six Flags is the first and it SHOULD BE on the level of Magic Mountain, or Great Adventure, or Cedar Point and it's far from it.

I hope so Chadster. Yes you make some fair points as well, my thoughts are still related to how I replied above. I'm analytical and when I fly to all these other parks each year and then come home and go to ours, it's night and day the difference. I just feel that our park needs a big touch up on foliage and theme along with a major ride to bring it back. As I also stated above, this is Texas, if those owners building Grand Central Texas down by Houston were smart, they'd build something on the scale of Great Adventure, Magic Mountain, or Cedar Point and they'd take some dough from Fiesta Texas and SFoT if they plopped down some great scream machines.

The Northeast has great parks, the West has great parks, the North has Cedar Point and Canada's Wonderland, the South...we've got some good parks that could become "The" park that you think of when you fly somewhere, but someone has to step up to become "The" park down here.

Don't get me wrong, you make fair points. I just personally feel that with our park being privately owned and managed by Six Flags only that it hurts us. I'm just on the bandwagon of, this is TEXAS. Our Six Flags is the first and it SHOULD BE on the level of Magic Mountain, or Great Adventure, or Cedar Point and it's far from it.

I definitely agree, but if you look at the ride count it's in the top 50 and technically it does have the same amount of coasters as GAdv, but you're also right that SFOT doesn't have the lineup it should to be a flagship SF park.

SFOT just needs 2 coasters to make it fantastic!!

1. AN INTAMIN BLITZ

2. AN INTAMIN PRE FAB

SFOT actually does have a fantastic collection of flat rides. Rodeo is often overlooked, but its insane

Rodeo really is one of the best flat rides ever. Ridiculous theming adds to the experience as well

Honestly, SFOT doesn't really need two new coasters. A speed-focused giga (MF/Fury) would be all the park needs, it's just that it would probably cost more than SF would be willing to pay.

Agreed, a very eye catching speedster, or even a Maverick type ride would be very nice. While rodeo is very fun, I feel we come up a bit short in the flat rides department. Justice League, I will give credit, it is a very good dark ride, big win for Six Flags. I really love those S&S Swing machines that are at Cedar Fair parks, very popular. I just had a brain meltdown and can't think of the technical name, but those spinning disc swing rides like MaXair are also quite fun. Flat rides is one area where even places like Cedar Point come up a tad short. I wasn't too thrilled with losing the ACME Rockin Rocket, even though it was sometimes uncomfortable. Zipper anyone?

^^ I don't disagree at all, the park needs to be spruced up and asphalt done away with. It's tough to keep the vegetation healthy when water restrictions are in play but there are ways around it. Vegas has shown us that.

Yeah, I appreciate the little things, the small shortcut pathway that leads to Texas Giant (past the giant toy crane) is all beat up and easily can trip someone. In our society, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen. I know it's petty, but would it kill them to make a really nice Titan sign at the entrance rope? I like the little things and the little things can make all the difference.

To add on to my previous post though, I can't help but think that spending 30 million on a Giga (which is still the going rate if you include some land improvements around it) I can't help but think it'll pay for itself. Besides Cedar Point, I visited King's Dominion the day after I went to Great Adventure a few months back to ride Intimidator-305. Fantastic Ride! But what impressed me the most, I don't normally do this, they had the BEST store I'd ever seen for a ride. Flags, poker cards, all kinds of shirts, every thing you can think of, and the stuff wasn't over priced. I walked out with a shirt, flag, poker cards, giant pencil, and a on ride photo for about $45 dollars. I actually felt like I got the bang for my buck. The extra season passes, the merchandise and the extra park food and drinks sold would pay for that baby real quick.

The front gate needs TLC. The fence around the front is ratty and rotten. The streets in the park (anywhere but the kids area and the gift shop) are really bad. A great street project and front gate spruce up would be awesome. The front gate area gives a bad first impression. The Men's room at the front gate is horrible. I'd like a new ride- yes- but just taking a year off and fixing these things would be great too.

If you haven't been to Hurricane Harbor this year- go take a look at what some paint and TLC can do. That Park looks much better!

I hope they do repaint some of the rides. Titan needs it badly.

I wish they would get rid of the misters too (this might be unpopular opinion). It would be nice if they cleaned up the park a bit... compared to other parks I've been to, SFoT just doesn't have the same charm and appearances? It just feels run down and dirty.

Then again... I grew up in SoCal with Knott's Berry Farm, Disney, SFMM, etc. So maybe I'm just a bit spoiled. LOL. But dang it, SFoT is technically my home park now! I'd love for it to bring some more hype

NTAG - that works for me, especially for someone who dislikes using acronyms.

I was at the park last week and enjoyed myself ( I rode Justice League twice ). I rode Texas Giant when it was a monster woodie years ago and NTAG last week, and I must confess that I like NTAG much better. Perhaps they should do that I - beam conversion to Judge Roy Scream - I mean, how could such a little out and back coaster like that be so ROUGH?

The Texas Sky Screamer - That ride goes high and it's so smooth and relaxing I bet a few people I know that can't tolerate any rough ride would love this ride, but they won't go on it because they're scared of heights!

I'M NOT PERFECT; I JUST LOVE TO RIDE!!!

How is Judge Roy rough? As long as you avoid the back row of any car and the back car in general, it's a very smooth ride imo. (although it's the only woodie I've been on)

It's definitely a front row ride, with great pops of airtime in the front and a smoother ride.