TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

(4 days, wow! hope you are checking out Dallas/Ft. Worth while you are here)

Thanks for the info, Chadster. We have APs so we won't be doing full days at the park. We are doing a lot of other things while in the area. We are going to both the Dallas and FW Zoos, attending a Rangers game and taking a tour of AT & T stadium. I already have plans to eat at Lockhart Smokehouse in Dallas, Smokey's in FW and Hard Eight on the way back to the airport.

And thanks for the hydration information, scooterdoug. We will definitely be taking that advise to heart!

Madhatter- you have it planned out nicely. I hope you enjoy yourself while you are here. It will be " a little warm" as we say here.You selected 3 fine Barbecue Houses to visit while you are here. Add the "Pecan Lodge" in Dallas and "Coopers" Fort Worth and you will be in Heaven.Those are top 5 for sure. Have a great trip!

Madhatter- you have it planned out nicely. I hope you enjoy yourself while you are here. It will be " a little warm" as we say here.You selected 3 fine Barbecue Houses to visit while you are here. Add the "Pecan Lodge" in Dallas and "Coopers" Fort Worth and you will be in Heaven.Those are top 5 for sure. Have a great trip!

Texaparkman....Pecan Lodge was at the top of my list along with Lockhart. It was a perplexing decision on which one to hit. I decided on Lockhart because of it's proximity to the Dallas Zoo, which we are doing on Friday. Yes, I will get there well before they open because I have done my research and know to get there early. I have also done my research and realize that parking in The Bishop Art district is a "beotch" to park in. I have since revised my plan because we arrive in Dallas at 9:15 am on Thursday and will hit up Pecan Lodge for lunch on our way to our hotel in Arlington. I can't NOT hit them both!

Thanks for all the well wishes and advice here. You guys rock!

And I haven't properly introduced myself or have a sig that states what I've ridden but I can tell you this. DW and I are theme park junkies and have ridden coasters at the following:

SFSTL - all - Ap holders - way more times than I like - can we get a Hyper already???

SDC - all

WOF - all

SFGA - all

Universal Orlando - all - AP holders

WDW -all- AP holders

DLR - all

BGTB - all

Holiday World - all

Cedar Point - all

Knots Berry - all

Magic Mountain - most

Kings Island - all

SFOT - about to be all!

^Just FYI, Wylie Coaster requires a kido to ride, if you have one, great! If not and you reeeeeally want to ride it, I suppose you can ask to ride with one, but I've always found that creepy!

At the Dallas Zoo I don't believe the monorail is operational as I haven't seen any press releases on it's reopening. The entire electrical system was to be upgraded along with new trains after several incidents that stranded riders. The best part, half price tickets!

Just came from the park. JLBFM ran like a champ today and the ride ops were doing such a tremendous job of loading and unloading

the vehicles that the line never stopped moving. I hope this is indicative of what we can expect from now on.

I agree about the ride ops. Even on rides I've heard have terrible ops, I've never had a bad experience with the ops at SFOT. I'm sure there are some bad apples, but I really don't see where people are coming from about the terrible operations.

"Just came from the park. JLBFM ran like a champ today and the ride ops were doing such a tremendous job of loading and unloading

the vehicles that the line never stopped moving. I hope this is indicative of what we can expect from now on." Interesting- I was at the park after 5:30- I hit the single rider line. JL was down when I got in line. It took about 15 minutes for it to get back up- it went down twice more before I got to ride. The ride was great! Everything worked as it should in the attraction.

I tried to look back through all of the past pages, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned: I think it is interesting how JLBM at SFOT couldn't run the full 10 vehicles so one was sent to SFSL to bring the number there up to 8. There has been some past debate on the shorter track SFOT vs. the longer track at SFSL, but I guess this is one reason why the longer track is better. The dock and area available for stacking (should someone in a wheelchair, like myself for example, need the vehicle to come to a stop to board) is SFSL's main/only real advantage.

The way SFOT is setup now, it is extremely efficient. There is normally a slight pause before the vehicle is sent on to scene one with a car behind it unloading and beginning to load with a 3rd in the final scene. Rinse and Repeat. I've witnessed persons in wheelchairs or with other mobility aides enter the ride vehicle as it was moving with no problem. The rate of speed is slow crawl and if needed the vehicle will be stopped before entering scene one, occupant is placed, and immediately sent on their way with the ride crew taking the mobility aid to the unloading area.

When it comes down to it, if you can efficiently run a ride with say 8 vehicle, any others are there simply to rotate in during maintenance times and would be useless on the track and not add to capacity.

NTAG is a perfect example. They tried to run it with three trains, and even with a fully staff of employees checking restraints, the human factor of "oh, I can't take my purse, or why can't I wear my hat, or I'm too big and have to unlock the train so I can do the walk" came into play and two trains were more efficient. With a full crew today when you hit the brakes the train in station is normally just being dispatched so a third train really doesn't increase capacity.

Hey guys I'm visiting the park for the first time this weekend! Wondering what crowds to expect and the best days to visit? I'll be in town Friday through Sunday so thinking of visiting Friday even though they are only open till 6 as I expect low crowds and then not sure what to do about Saturday or Sunday? Saturday would work best time wise but wonder if it'll be packed. Looking at the hours it looks like it's a slow weekend but those can be deceiving sometimes. Anyway we can visit 2 days this weekend but not all 3 so just wondering what days would be best. Thanks for the help guys!

Hey guys I'm visiting the park for the first time this weekend! Wondering what crowds to expect and the best days to visit? I'll be in town Friday through Sunday so thinking of visiting Friday even though they are only open till 6 as I expect low crowds and then not sure what to do about Saturday or Sunday? Saturday would work best time wise but wonder if it'll be packed. Looking at the hours it looks like it's a slow weekend but those can be deceiving sometimes. Anyway we can visit 2 days this weekend but not all 3 so just wondering what days would be best. Thanks for the help guys!

I know some schools are starting so Friday will probably be your best day. Still Saturday probably won't be horrible. What I've been hearing, the operations have been decent lately. The only problem I could see is the weather. It could be raining or 110 outside.

Last weekend before school starts can go either way, expect slower than normal operations on Friday as replacement workers will be in full force and some ride capacity reduced(which started this week) to compensate for those who have gone back to school. Example, Mr. Freeze and Superman are one horse wonders during the week. Saturday is generally always busy. Sunday's are usually awesome until around 1pm.

The way he looked from one side to the other makes me think a coaster is on the way!

It'll probably just turn out to be a 400ft ring the bell game. In all honesty, if they ARE putting in a new coaster,

then they would need to start clearing land almost immediately.

Another thing, "it's all fun and games until 2016"? Does that mean the "fun and games" will stop in 2016?

Maybe that huge thing the attendant was looking at was a wrecking ball and the park's being demolished

to make way for new condominiums.

I think that super loops degrade parks' classy appearance. ESPECUALLY SFOT. SFOT is the nicest SF park I have been to and it is so fun. A super loop is just such a bad idea!! If the addition was in the strip mall behind batman, then OMG Gotham City would be SOOOOOO loud!! I will be part disappointed and happy(new ride) if SF decides to invest in something that THEY SOULDN'T