TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Had a great day at the park.

Was white water safari running?

Oh yes, I rode it and got SOAKED. I did all of the water rides yesterday but Whitewater Safari soaked me the most. My first ever ride on Tsunami Soaker was a solo ride, but some cute kid went on the sprayer and sprayed me a little. It seems like a really fun ride (when there are people to spray instead of empty tubs).

Also, I like Roar a LOT more now that it's been retracked. Although it's still not butter smooth and still not better than Gold Striker, it's really fun and has some nice moments of air.

I rode Kong and didn't get my head bashed due to riding technique but the train was shaking itself to bits and it was not a pleasant ride.

I rode Hammerhead and realized I don't really like rides like that, wonder if Dare Devil will be any better but probably not.

I might have a few pictures to post but I don't have time to post them now.

It was good to meet you yesterday, glad to hear you and your daughter had a good time at the park!

You too We had a blast. We will definitely fly back out later this month or early March. We both want to try Superman everyone there was extremely friendly, and we both loved the Dolphin show...

Yes. Only rides down were: tazmanian devil and superman. Manager said superman may be back up next weekend.

While that would be nice, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. I just called the park and was informed that Superman's downtime should be 6-8 weeks (maintainance began 4 weeks ago next Tuesday), though they are trying to make it shorter than that. I spoke to a park representative who might not have the most up-to-date details. I'm going to call their administrative offices next week and see if I can get more detail. I'm betting on the weekend of 2/21, though wouldn't be upset if it opened sooner. Needless to say, I want it done soon. I'm going through withdrawals!

Glad you had a good time. If you come back on a weekend that I'm there, I'd be delighted to meet up with you. It really is a nice park, a total Six Flags outlier.

Also, I like Roar a LOT more now that it's been retracked. Although it's still not butter smooth and still not better than Gold Striker, it's really fun and has some nice moments of air.

I rode Kong and didn't get my head bashed due to riding technique but the train was shaking itself to bits and it was not a pleasant ride.

I rode Hammerhead and realized I don't really like rides like that, wonder if Dare Devil will be any better but probably not.

I might have a few pictures to post but I don't have time to post them now.

I agree 100% with your assessment of Roar. It's miles better than it used to be, and I now classify it as a fun coaster, where it definitely wasn't before. I saw someone else say that it was better than Gold Striker though and that's just ridiculous. Giant Dipper was always better than Roar and Gold Striker is the first coaster in California in 90 years to better than Giant Dipper.

I'm so happy to see you were able to ride Kong without the . Nothing riders can do is going to make it a smooth ride, but with a minimal effort it can at least be a fun and painless ride. Were you on the yellow train? In my experience the least roughest place to ride is the back row of the orange train..the yellow train seems to shake a lot more than the orange and in either train the front to me seems rougher than the back.

Dare Devil is the same as Hammerhead in that it just loops continuously, but hopefully being that its a new ride it will at least have comfortable restraints. Those one size "fits" all automatic restraints on Hammerhead are terrible. Really uncomfortable for tall people.

^I don't remember which train it was but I rode in the front. From my past experience, the front was better but I think I need to revise that assessment.

Here are my photos! Mainly from the animal shows

IMG_1004.thumb.jpg.d2d3c43a07cfef7f943ce1b2b53a7c61.jpg

Pink fountain for the cure

IMG_1013.thumb.jpg.d478beb1ea40628910612ecde8112fd5.jpg

Tiger show. So cute

IMG_1019.thumb.jpg.3897f151713026a6b148cffec6793082.jpg

Wassup?

IMG_1027.thumb.jpg.eaf66bd54d539290f80a958f6eea9a13.jpg

Some type of hawk (raptor)

IMG_1031.thumb.jpg.776c5d05d1bb14e4b74b50eb68b3600a.jpg

Who?

IMG_1038.thumb.jpg.a9c18207548f47454dc4a449a92b19ec.jpg

Weird looking bird

IMG_1050.thumb.jpg.3bc8fb3b0d01821af6be8ce1c9f3d289.jpg

God bless America

IMG_1052.thumb.jpg.1702b9857db3fdfb86fe4ed86de657da.jpg

My favorite show!

IMG_1053.thumb.jpg.ed656b3670cd8563d1c1d199e3ea3e48.jpgIMG_1054.thumb.jpg.d917fad6966fd5ddc80f59ca8e8456c6.jpg

Sorry for taking the video the wrong way. I was trying to Snapchat it.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Yes. Only rides down were: tazmanian devil and superman. Manager said superman may be back up next weekend.

Update: It looks like you are correct! I spoke with someone from park maintenance, and they said that as long as everything goes according to plan and there are no unforeseen mishaps, Superman should be open this weekend. Looks like I need to alter my weekend plans...

don't know if the parks website is updated but it says rides closed are cobra coaster daffy's deep sea diver Tazmanian Devil and it list superman and hammerhead open

Considering that Superman was listed as closed last weekend, I'd say they updated it. This is very good news. Hopefully that storm predicted for this weekend ends up going easy on us...

don't know if the parks website is updated but it says rides closed are cobra coaster daffy's deep sea diver Tazmanian Devil and it list superman and hammerhead open

Considering that Superman was listed as closed last weekend, I'd say they updated it. This is very good news. Hopefully that storm predicted for this weekend ends up going easy on us...

I don't like its coming over the weekend but we (California) still need a lot of rain and a lot more snow in the mountains. Then again, I suppose rain more towards the east of the bay area would be better, otherwise most I think will simply go right back into the ocean.

I don't like its coming over the weekend but we (California) still need a lot of rain and a lot more snow in the mountains. Then again, I suppose rain more towards the east of the bay area would be better, otherwise most I think will simply go right back into the ocean.

Agreed. We desperately need the rain. It looks like there should be precipitation in the mountains, but no significant accumulation predicted. Even the rain here in the Bay Area will help, as we have local reservoirs. I'm still keeping my eye on the weather and might go to SFDK Saturday, but it looks to be pretty wet. Oh well, there's always next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the park yesterday (Single's Awareness Day) and the park was moderately busy (definitely busier than random January day I went) but not like crazy. I came late and didn't stay long. All I did was: most of Drench! (the margarita line took half an hour so I was late), Whitewater Safari (got pretty wet again, LOL. I think I might be able to determine that where you sit when the boats are loading determines whether you go under the waterfall... or I'm just unlucky), Oasis Club (yay for drinking alone on Valentine's Day!), Superman, Roar, Medusa.

Medusa was running one train (the other getting refurbed), Kong was running one train (not worth the wait), and V2 was down for refurb. And OMGSUPERMANONLYRUNNINGONETRAINWHATT??

Highlight of the day: Medusa ride op was definitely on par with the quips. At one point he asked who came specifically for Valentine's day, then he asked who was celebrating Single's Awareness Day. Myself and a few others cheered really loud. LOL, singles unite!

I went to the park yesterday (Single's Awareness Day) and the park was moderately busy (definitely busier than random January day I went) but not like crazy. I came late and didn't stay long. All I did was: most of Drench! (the margarita line took half an hour so I was late), Whitewater Safari (got pretty wet again, LOL. I think I might be able to determine that where you sit when the boats are loading determines whether you go under the waterfall... or I'm just unlucky), Oasis Club (yay for drinking alone on Valentine's Day!), Superman, Roar, Medusa.

Medusa was running one train (the other getting refurbed), Kong was running one train (not worth the wait), and V2 was down for refurb. And OMGSUPERMANONLYRUNNINGONETRAINWHATT??

Highlight of the day: Medusa ride op was definitely on par with the quips. At one point he asked who came specifically for Valentine's day, then he asked who was celebrating Single's Awareness Day. Myself and a few others cheered really loud. LOL, singles unite!

I was about to go yesterday too but Friday night I wasn't feeling up to it. Glad I put it off till next Saturday/Sunday. also you'll pretty much always get wet if anyone feels like manning the water cannons out on the path by the restrooms and Voodoo. wish you got 3 shots for a qauter.

I was about to go yesterday too but Friday night I wasn't feeling up to it. Glad I put it off till next Saturday/Sunday.

I forgot to mention but Superman took about half an hour and Medusa was about 35-40 minutes. This was about midday. Next weekend will surely be better as it's not a holiday weekend. I might go next weekend too.

I was about to go yesterday too but Friday night I wasn't feeling up to it. Glad I put it off till next Saturday/Sunday.

I forgot to mention but Superman took about half an hour and Medusa was about 35-40 minutes. This was about midday. Next weekend will surely be better as it's not a holiday weekend. I might go next weekend too.

I'll be there next Sunday. I'm hoping everyone went this past weekend, and the park is quiet next weekend. I went the Saturday before last and the park was the quietest I've ever seen it. Even with one train operation, Medusa was still a one to two train wait for the front. I was watching Roar dispatch completely empty trains. When Superman finally opened around 2, it took a while before people figured out that it was open. I went right to it for maybe the 2nd train of the day, and I got 10 rides in a row without getting off. That's happened a lot this season. Superman definitely rewards loyalty first thing in the day. So, perhaps I'll see some other TPR people at SFDK next Sunday?