TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ride Ratings

I'm not really sure as to who decides the intensity ratings for some rides for some parks, but why do some rides that in my mind, that appear to extremely thrilling or intense only get a thrill rating of 4 while other rides that appear less intense receive a thrill rating of 5? An example of this would be Psyclone (Mondial Revolution) at Canada's Wonderland receives a thrill rating of 5 whereas Drop Tower (Intamin Giant Drop 227 feet) only receives a rating of 4?

During the years of me becoming addicted to thrill rides and coasters, I was able to easily do many flat rides with a high intensity rating before boarding a drop tower so, why do rides that (to me) don't appear to be intense receive a higher thrill or intensity rating than rides that had appeared intense to me? It just boggles my mind sometimes. Luckily these thrill ratings no longer apply to me as I ride everything nowadays!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really sure as to who decides the intensity ratings for some rides for some parks, but why do some rides that in my mind, that appear to extremely thrilling or intense only get a thrill rating of 4 while other rides that appear less intense receive a thrill rating of 5? An example of this would be Psyclone (Mondial Revolution) at Canada's Wonderland receives a thrill rating of 5 whereas Drop Tower (Intamin Giant Drop 227 feet) only receives a rating of 4?

During the years of me becoming addicted to thrill rides and coasters, I was able to easily do many flat rides with a high intensity rating before boarding a drop tower so, why do rides that (to me) don't appear to be intense receive a higher thrill or intensity rating than rides that had appeared intense to me? It just boggles my mind sometimes. Luckily these thrill ratings no longer apply to me as I ride everything nowadays!

Spinning rides tend to be rated as more intense then rides involving. My speculation is that people's discomfort with spinning rides tends to be a physiology related condition while Drop Tower discomfort is more of a more mental fear.

I guess it all depends on how one defines "intense".

Those ratings are based purely on the opinions of those in power who assigned them. A person, small committee, or whoever created these ratings probably had their own unique set of standards they loosely based attraction intensity on, and assigned the rides accordingly. Ride manufacturers have absolutely nothing to do with these ratings, and in fact ride manufacturers only really give a height requirements on most rides they install when it comes to restrictions or intensity analysis for riders. Ratings for intensity, requirements of limbs, and other safety/accessibility guidelines and policies are created by parks through their own analysis and research.

I recently was tasked with revising a Guest Accessibility Guide that sorts rides into intensity categories. If I wasn't sure how "intense" a ride was because I have been desensitized to most of them over the years, I crowd-sourced other parks' ratings and I walked around the office asking several others how they would rate a ride. There is no standard or agreed upon method out there, but instead the best recommendation from park managers. Therefore, I wouldn't read too far into the methodology of those rating systems as they are assigned based on a variety of varying opinions and loose criteria.

I agree. When I was at Six Flags Magic Mountain, Lex Luthor was only a 4 when it clearly intimidated the most guests. I think it does come from discomfort after riding. I haven't seen many people come off a drop tower sick while rides like frisbees seem to do the trick with the spinning and swinging simultaneously.

I agree. When I was at Six Flags Magic Mountain, Lex Luthor was only a 4 when it clearly intimidated the most guests. I think it does come from discomfort after riding. I haven't seen many people come off a drop tower sick while rides like frisbees seem to do the trick with the spinning and swinging simultaneously.

Then it should be called the "Nausea Rating" if that's the case!

I'm pretty sure that intensity ratings are based on the forces that the attraction exerts on the body.

Hersheypark:

Ride Rating - Moderate Thrill Ride [3]

This is a medium speed ride where riders may experience unexpected changes in elevation and speed. This ride may contain moderate twists, turns, bumps, spins, and loops, and may require some rider body control.

Ride Rating - Aggressive Thrill Ride [5]

This is a high-speed experience. Riders will experience many unexpected, rapid changes in speed, direction, and/or elevation and requires rider full body control. This ride is not recommended for guests with physical, cognitive, and/or medical limitations.

Cedar Fair:

Moderate Thrill Rides [3]

Rides that generally have low to medium speeds and/or heights with moderate motion and braking. Riders may encounter unexpected changes in direction and/or speed during portions of the ride.

Aggressive Thrill Rides [5]

Rides that generally have one or more of the following: high speeds and/or heights, aggressive and unexpected forces, and rapid directional or elevation change. Riders will encounter many unexpected rapid changes in speed, direction and/or elevation.

• 1 month later...

From my experience, it seems that the ride ratings (at least at Cedar Fair parks) are based on how intimidating a ride looks to your average parkgoer. For example, at my home park Valleyfair, Corkscrew (a fun but tame Arrow Loopscrew) is rated a 5, while Renegade (the GCI woodie that's much more intense than Corkscrew) is only rated a 4. While Renegade offers a much more thrilling experience, I've noticed that most of the GP find Corkscrew more intimidating simply because it has inversions.