TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Stand Up Revival?

I've only been on two stand up coasters, Mantis and Riddler's Revenge. Riddler is very nice but Mantis is too painful after the twist into MCBR. New generation of stand up coaster could be nice if B&M build them with the slow transitions.

Did anyone notice that Mantis' floor sunken a bit at some high G spots? It feels very strange and kind of scary.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have historically enjoyed the GA Scorcher. It was my first coaster with inversions, and I figured out how to ride in the restraints comfortably fairly early on. I also really liked Riddler's Revenge. I've ridden a good number of stand-ups (I think Vortex at CGA is the only one in the US/Canada I haven't ridden), and those two are definitely the stand-outs IMHO.

Personally, I enjoy Mantis quite a bit. I actually wish they would lessen the MCBR so some speed can come back to the ride's second half, but I understand how some see it as rough, especially new riders. Chang Lantern (ridden at both parks) was good but I didn't feel it up to Mantis par. Iron Wolf and Vortex (Carowinds) were both okay, with Wolf being a bit rougher.

I'd love to get on RR and Scorcher; most people say they're the best. For now, I'll go with Mantis.

And slow transitions would be interesting and different on a stand up. I'd say they should keep any new layouts simple and now overly complex and G-inducing.

^Some have argued that higher trims actually make rides like Mantis more rough, since it gives the train more to time to shake and shimmy around the track. All I know is Mantis was terribly rough and uncomfortable when I rode it last year, and Green Lantern which I believe runs considerably faster after the MCBR was much smoother and actually a lot of fun.

My only stand-up credits have been Mantis and Shockwave, both I found OK. Shockwave was rough, but tolerable. Mantis actually seemed like a lot of fun! In fact, I would choose Mantis over GateKeeper, believe it or not.

I've been on standups from B&M, Intamin and TOGO. There is not a single one I would willingly ride if I didn't need the credit. They're uncomfortable, awkward and just not that much fun. Hell, KD's Shockwave is in my bottom 5.

The only one I have modest hopes for is Riddler's Revenge. Hopefully that won't be a let down.

I've always enjoyed standups. The B&M standups are all from an era when they still gave a crap about making a thrilling ride! Riddler, Green Lantern, Mantis, Vortex, etc, they're all old school and very well laid out. None of them (that I know of) are cookie cutter layouts and they snake around a whole lot, which I love.

If B&M were to make a standup this year it would be swooping turns, floaty hills, a few inversions taken extremely slow, etc. AKA, boring.

I would be in bliss if new B&M Stand Ups began popping up again. That said, it would be a guarded kind of bliss until I had the chance to see for myself that they weren't fluff like a most of their post-2000 installations.