TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The East Coast Rocks!!!

We made it home!!! There will be a FULL trip report with PLENTY of pictures later today, but I just wanted to say that we had the best trip EVER. We did Hershey, Knoebels, Dorney and Six Flags Great Adventure. I know I am going to go on and on about how great all the parks were and what a great time we had, but it is so true! All the coasters were so much fun. There were very few that we got off and said, oh that was bad. Everything was wonderful!!

Like I said, a full tr will be up later and we took over 200 pictures. I would like to thank Bubba for meeting up with us Saturday and Sunday and hanging out with us. You were a great tour guide and got us through the park. I don't think we could have done Six Flags without your guidance and actually hit everything! Thanks again!!

Gregg and I both hit our 100th coaster on this trip.

The weather was great the whole time.

Oh yeah, Kingda Ka is INCREDIBLE!!!!

Kristi "more details to follow!!" C.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just to Echo Kristi's post.

We will have a HUGE update coming later today or tomorrow. But just some highlights:

- We didn't get lost all weekend

- Hershey was DEAD

- Storm Runner is my new #1 steel

- I hit #100 on the Boomerang

- Knoebels and Hershey are the 2 greates parks EVER

- Phoenix is my new #1 woodie

- The Bumper Cars were the longest wait we had all weekend for anything

- Dorney was conquered in 90 minutes

- Kristi hit #100 on the mouse at Dorney

- Hydra was okay, but it's sad when the best part of the ride is before the lift

- SFGADV is my new favorite SF park

- GASM was actually fun

- Medusa is WAY better than Scream ... why is that?

- Kingda Ka rocked, but I wouldn't wait 3 hours for it

- Nitro is my new favorite Hyper

- Batman was ... well, Batman

- Chiller was fun

- Hydra was okay, but it's sad when the best part of the ride is before the lift

Yes it is. It's a shame a ride can start out so good and end up so mediocre

- Medusa is WAY better than Scream ... why is that?

Like the real estate agents say, location, location, location! It made quite a difference IMO.

Hershey was SO incredible Ted. Thank you again for giving us the info on the Ride for Relief 2, it was a great night and we had so much fun. I think that is my #1 park now!! Well, it is close between Knoebels and Hershey, but all four parks were really great. Well, except for Dorney.

Kristi "trying to wait to make comments when we do the trip report!!" C.

We forgot the most important part of the whole trip! The FOOD!!!! We will talk about it more in the trip report, but we did eat a lot of good food and a lot of it!!! Yep, I ate TONS of carbs!!!!

Kristi " back on diet today!!" C.

that reminds me of one of the funniest signs I have seen which was in the food outlet at Hershey which said (well something like)

'Chicken in a sub roll - low carb alternative...no roll'

hmmmm! - I went with the carbs

Steve - like to have bread with my sandwich-C

PS looking forward to the report in full - sub rolls and all

Hey Gregg, I am planning a similar trip for next summer and I was just wondering what order you went to the parks in. I'm coming from New York City so I was thinking SFGAdv (Day One), Dorney (Day Two), Knoebels and Hershey Park (Day Three). Is it worth it to be at Dorney for a whole day? Or would it be better to do Dorney and Knoebels in one day and then maybe Hershey and Kennywood another? Thanks. Anyone else who has done a similar trip is more than welcome to respond to this as well.

I think you really need a whole day at Hershey since there is a lot to do both in and out of the park. Besides all the rides in the park, there is also Chocolate World with the dark ride tour (free admission).

I don't think you need a whole day at Dorney. I spent less than 5 hours at Dorney, got on all the major coasters except the Wild Mouse and got 4 rides each on Talon and Hydra. Plus I did some flats and other rides. The only reason to spend a whole day at Dorney is if you are going to Wildwater Kingdom as well.

We spent 90 minutes at Dorney. We did all of the coasters with the exception of the kiddie (couldn't ride), the dragon (powered) and woodstock express (couldn't find it until after the park closed).

We did Steel Force twice and I did the whip.

I think Hershey and Knoebels both need a full day. We only spent 4 hours at each, but because they were dead we did everything we wanted to as much as we wanted to. We got VERY lucky.

Hey Gregg, I am planning a similar trip for next summer and I was just wondering what order you went to the parks in. I'm coming from New York City so I was thinking SFGAdv (Day One), Dorney (Day Two), Knoebels and Hershey Park (Day Three). Is it worth it to be at Dorney for a whole day? Or would it be better to do Dorney and Knoebels in one day and then maybe Hershey and Kennywood another? Thanks. Anyone else who has done a similar trip is more than welcome to respond to this as well.

Knoebel's, at least IMO is a "full day" park. While it might have worked out well on Gregg & Kristi's trip, it's not something I would personally do or reccomend anyone else doing. Unless of course you just want to credit whore your way through both parks. You can't see Knoebels in 3-4 hours, and REALLY take in the atmosphere the park has to offer, it's just not possible.

Dorney you can do in a couple of hours, although if you like water parks, do Dorney's! It's great! And if you do the water park, plan at hours total at Dorney.

And I wouldn't do Hershey and Kennywood in one day either since both parks are about 4 hours apart. Again, it CAN be done, if Kennywood is open late and all you do is what to credit whore both places, but to actually SEE what the parks have to offer, you need more than just a few hours at each.

--Robb "But then again what do I know, right?" Alvey

I agree. With some parks it doesn't matter if you just run through and get the credits while at others, it isn't the greatest. For example, I had no problem running through Wildwood in 3 hours, getting on all the coasters I was able to and a few dark rides (3 hours including walking between all 3 piers). There isn't much atmosphere there and after the wristband expired, I could walk the boardwalk. But at a park like Hershey, I would hate to have to rush through and just go on the coasters and leave.

I echo Robb on this one. While its quite easy to credit whore your way through these parks, I like to have a full day at Knoebels just to feel like I've done everything. From all the different weird foods to Phoenix and Twister warming up at night, the bumper cars, motor boats, 2 trains, haunted house, all the weird flats, as well as all the other goodies like the eagles, anthracite mine museum, log flume, and the overall laid back atmosphere, a full day at Knoebels is a definite.

Dorney you can do in less than 2 hours if you're just gonna do all the coasters for the credit, but try to include other stuff like the Whip, log flume, as well as the signs that point out the history of the park. If you like waterparks, the best thing to do is visit in the summer on a weeknight, do the coasters and stuff from like 3 to 5, then head over to the waterpark. The lines will drop significantly and you'll be able to do everything multiple times with minimal waits. Robb, Elissa, Dave, and myself did that a few years ago.

If anything, I'd say maybe try to start off with a morning at the Jersey shore parks in Wildwood and Ocean City, work your way up to SFGAD, finish off the night there and go back the following morning for a few hours. Head out around 2 for Dorney, then the next day to Knoebels, followed by Hershey. I doubt you'll be able to include Kennywood, maybe you should save that for another time, doing that park, Idlewild, DelGrossos, Lakemont, and Conneaut and/or Geauga Lake.

I'm glad you guys had an awesome time at Hershey. It's my good old home park and yous should consider yourselves lucky for getting there on a day when it's dead. I was there a few weeks ago and it was full. Even Sooperdooperlooper had a FULL queue. Oh, and finally someone else who loves Storm Runner as much as I do.