TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Stand-Up Coasters

I think having a sitdown and floorless in a park is totally redundant. I mean its the exact same forces it's just one has a floor which is just a gimmick. You don't even see a park like Six Flags Magic Mountain, the king of gimmicky rides having a sitdown and a floorless B&M (Yes I know they have sitdown loopers). It just would be too similar a ride experience.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I agree, but your missing my point, I'm just saying that if B&M were to make a train that was an approved alternative to a Standup that could be operated on existing stand up tracks then there might be a market for it.

Besides, 95% of the normal park guests probably wouldn't notice nor care if one coaster in the park was a floorless and one was a sitdown. If SFGADV could rebrand Green Lantern and market as a new ride with all new trains I'm sure it would sell tickets and people would still line up to ride it, and doubt very many would complain that it's too similar to Bizarro.

On New Hotness I got to ride quite a few stand-ups. I really, really hated Green Lantern at SFGAdv, it was just really painful and not re-ridable. And Shockwave, (?) the Togo-Standup at King's Dominion, was pretty bad, too. Not nearly as bad as Green Lantern. It was loads more comapct, which I actually liked. Mantis at Cedar Point doesn't do anything for me, I've been to Cedar Point three times and only been on it once.

On the contrary, Georgia Scorcher at SFOG was actually really enjoyable. One of my favorites in the park for-sure. It was really forceful, but not painfully so. I think Stand-Ups *can* be more than a gimmick when they are built like Scorcher, or even Riddler's Revenge as I've heard. I do not, however, think we will see any new ones, mainly because of how low occupancy they are.

I've found almost all the stand-ups that I have ridden to be rather painful and unenjoyable (Mantis, Vortex, Green Lantern/Chang). However, I agree with others that Scorcher is an exception and was actually a really fun ride. Even though Scorcher was fun, I still think that the stand-up coaster is B&M's worst type of coaster, and would only like to see them bring it back if they can find a way to make the rides more comfortable (not just the restraints, but I've also found stand-ups to be rougher than other B&Ms- maybe its just their age?).

I wish Intamin would make stand up coasters again. Also when will B&M make a new one?

Are you CRAZY?! I rode Le Cobra at La Ronde this summer and it is the WORST stand up I've ever ridden! The only Intamin stand up that deserves to live is Shockwave at Drayton Manor due to its uniqueness (only zero g roll on a stand up). Plus Intamin didn't really make the stand ups, they just marketed them, Giovanola really manufactured them.

^Also, remember that these were made back when Bolliger and Mabillard were working for Intamin. Intamin actually never truly made a stand up with their own track or train system.

Yup so unless Intamin really wants to design a new train for their new track, the stand up from Intamin will never return.