TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Six Flags Mexico and La Feria Chapultepec

shivtim

I'll go there some upcomming year - colleagues of our branch there says that all better hotel also offer limousine services all-day-hire or at appointed times to/from all locations in Mexico-City at a reasonable price, most drivers are also fluent in english.

Cant wait to get onto my good ol Dreier Looping....

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I said it was "by far the best Morgan hyper." I was comparing it to Steel Force, Mamba, Wild Thing, and Steel Eel. But I haven't been on Phantom's Revenge or Steel Dragon 2000, so I can't compare. In any event, I found Superman to be smoother and more forceful than the four other "traditional" Morgan hypers.

I hear you, that's exactly my point. You never said it was the best Morgan, only the best Morgan you have ever been on.

Don't be nervous! Mexico City is the safest part of the country. I honestly did not once feel unsafe while traveling in the city. I even went to the parks alone (my friends don't do coasters, they went to a museum while I went on coasters!), and didn't have any problems whatsoever on the metro or taking taxis alone. I think the city gets an unfair bad rap!

The US state dept just updated their travel info for Mexico, and there is no warning for Mexico City. There's not even an "advisory" for Mexico City. Of course it doesn't hurt to stay vigiliant, I kept my wallet in my front pocket just to be safe, never walked alone at night, and didn't go into any neighborhood that I hadn't read about in a guidebook or online.

So, you should all go to Mexico City! But wait for Medusa to be re-tracked first, and stay away from the borders.

Not to deter the conversation of your awesome TR, but Mexico in general gets a bad rap. Yes, there are dangers that are pretty public, but like Paul said, stay far away from the borders and you'll be okay. A lot of work has been done to secure violence in Mexico City, Guadalajara, and the Yucatan Penisula in the south. I think a lot of attention is still being focused on those areas, as those are the essential areas for the Mexican Government and Mexican Military to control. With so much outburst with violent over guns and drugs along the border, it's also safe to say there are scarry areas along the US side of the border too. I was born in Mexico, and have a lot of family and friends who still live in Mexico, but none of them are in any danger. I am still planning a vacation this Christmas to go back (and party with the Mayans for Dec. 21st), and really want to encourage everyone to go to Mexico. It's a country SO rich in culture. If there is any one city I suggest going to, it would be Guadalajara. It's the cultural hub for tequila, cowboys, and mariachi music. D.F. also is a must see city. It is the second or third largest city in the world, so do be careful with travel, but you should be fine as long as you're not the typical 'ignorant American'.

Viva Mexico!

^^Agreed!

More cultural photo TR goodness!

DSC03246_1200x900.thumb.jpg.4a570806c76b00ea9ad5da1909364e62.jpg

Pyramid of the moon

DSC03324_1200x900.thumb.jpg.2d586cef19926c55f94a08778ef865dc.jpg

mmm, breakfast quesadilla...

In Mexico city, a quesadilla doesn't necessarily have to have cheese. In the local dialect it just means a grilled corn tortilla with any ingredients you want. This one was a blue masa tortilla with chicken, potatoes, and salsa verde!

DSC03351_1200x900.thumb.jpg.902bef89652a4f0e6336919c3277b2fd.jpg

Just a dude sittin' around

DSC03360_1200x900.thumb.jpg.3db850d3a6858044daece30a5cca1df2.jpg

On the canals at Xochimilco

DSC03389_675x900.thumb.jpg.b16f0c7a938bd448befa0489b7b30213.jpg

Creepy doll island at Xochimilco. Did I mention it was CREEPY?

DSC03467_675x900.thumb.jpg.a71781c991bc4f021681079b8441a12b.jpg

Torre Mayor, the tallest skyscraper in Mexico

DSC03488_675x900.thumb.jpg.0bcffa7306322dc10d3eaef138147279.jpg

Olmec head! Like Legends of the Hidden Temple!

DSC03473_1200x900.thumb.jpg.0615ac3dd416f6756117e415eaabfffd.jpg

This was called the monument to the hero babies. Seriously.

I didn't make it to the Feria because my family wanted to see that famous church, D'oh! Medusa was the worst coaster i've ever been on and actually feared for my safety, you don't get the credit but it's probably for the better. Batman was my first SLC i believe

That would have been my first Schwarzkopf triple looper and i'm always up for a wooden coaster! Long as it's not too bad, Medusa was probably worse than Psyclone at the end of its days because it went faster.

We stayed at a relatives house and it was pretty sweet, she lived on a hill overlooking SFMC and you could see the park lit up at night. Man that city is massive! So many times everywhere you look you can just see more and more buildings, and don't plan on driving there because i don't there are many traffic laws, or if there are people sure don't seem to follow um I wonder how many miles wide it is...it didn't even occur to me how high up it was, i don't remember even noticing a difference with the altitude.

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome trip report! I learned a lot about both of these parks. I have a Six Flags park book from 2007 that listed SFM's rides, and I was somewhat underwhelmed by the ride selectoin. However, after seeing this TR, I noticed how there were a few additions, and that it's actually a pretty nice park. It seems to have that 'not your average SF park' look to it, kinda like SFDK. Considering the setting in Mexico, theming, and ride selection, SFM is kinda like the best of both worlds, taking the big names and rides from SF parks while being uniquely Mexican. And LFC is packed for such a small park! Heck, 2 Schwarzkophs, an old woodie, and a great selection of flat rides is hard do find in some medium-sized parks, let alone a little one.

I've known for a while that the border areas of Mexico are much worse than Mexico City, but even so, this trip report certainly gives me a different impression of Mexico City! Perhaps I should work on my Spanish a bit...

• 2 months later...

Thank you for your report and nice pictures, amongst others, from the k!ck A$$ Triple-Loop „Montaña Infinitum” - the former german portable „Dreier Looping”, Paul.

To my mind – TILL NOW – it was Rudolf Barth senior’s best transportable loopcoaster ever…

It’s always a pleasure to see this >Schwarzkopf-Coaster< in La Feria de Chapultepec/Mexico City RUNNING, compared to the other former portable coaster: the Quadruple Loop/der Vierer Looping „Thriller” – now (since 2008) better known under the name of „Tsunami”, which is ALMOST never running in Aguascalientes/San Marcos, Mexico – U N F O R T U N A T E L Y.

--Thri „awesome compact track and thrill seeker layout quality instead of (vertical) looping quantity” !!er

Awesome report man, Six Flags Mexico has to be one of the most elusive parks in the world, right up there with Silverwood. I'll probably never get a chance to visit so I'll have to live vicariously through other brave travelers' reports.

I don't think I've ever read a review of Medusa, anywhere. Has anyone ever ridden that thing!?

^Last time I rode Medusa, it was alright. I don't think it's gotten any better though, so I'm sure it's a little rougher now. It's not a BAD ride in any sence of the word, just not a very good one either. The reason it doesn't really get reviewed, is probably because it's not that memorable of a ride. It's just there. You take the credit and move on.

• 2 months later...
Great TR! Not sure how I missed this before. How did the prices for admission, food, etc compare to other Six Flags properties?

It's a bit cheaper than US parks, but very expensive for Mexico. Admission is a little over $30 USD. I bought a bottled water and it was about $1. By comparison, the all-inclusive "Pasaporte platino" at La Feria is $14 and the food/drinks seemed cheaper than Six Flags.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Awesome report man, Six Flags Mexico has to be one of the most elusive parks in the world, right up there with Silverwood. I'll probably never get a chance to visit so I'll have to live vicariously through other brave travelers' reports.

Well now there's a TPR trip to Mexico!

I certainly don't hear a lot of nice things about Mexico in general, but your TR has definitely made me remember the good things I hear about places like Mexico City. It's always nice to see pics from a park that you don't see a whole lot of.

By the way, have you ever heard the Mexican national anthem? It's actually pretty awesome.