TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Which park?

I'm planning a mini trip through Pennsylvania this weekend, and am looking at stopping at Dorney park, Knoebels, or Waldameer. I only have time for two, and because my coaster count is at 98, I was hoping that either Phoenix, Ravine Flyer II, or Talon to be my 100th. I have never been to any of them, and both have their pros and cons. I wanted to get a few other opinions before I make my decision though. Also, I would be bringing my parents and two younger sisters (12 and 8). Anyway:

Knoebels: I really want to ride the Phoenix, and the atmosphere sounds really nice. We saw Knoebels featured on some special about amusement park food too, so that's another reason we want to go. The problem is, our home park is Cedar Point, so the rest of my family is very biased against woodies (Mean Streak), and feel that the park is not going to be as good because they don't have a ton of coasters. The thing is, I'm sure they'd love it once we get there.

Dorney: The main reason I want to go to dorney is for Talon and Hydra. Also, we have Cedar Fair Platinum Passes, so admission wouldn't be an issue. This would also make my sisters happy because of the higher number of coasters there, and we miss having Demon Drop at Cedar Point. I'm not so keen on Dorney because I'd really like to get on a good woodie, and in comparison to the other parks, Dorney doesn't seem to have one.

Waldameer: Ravine Flyer II is the main draw here for us. It would be my first Gravity Group coaster, and I think it would be a good one for the family to enjoy as well. The only problem is, I don't really know what else there is to do there.

Please let me know which parks you think would be the best fit. Thanks TPR!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I describe Knoebels with one word, AMAZING! Definitely go to Knoebels. It is not all about coasters there, although the Phoenix is better than El Toro in my opinion & if it wasn't for Boulder Dash it would be my #1 woodie! There are so many classic & unique flat rides there that you won't find anywhere else not to mention the Haunted Mansion which is probably my favorite dark ride. The atmosphere is very different from places like Cedar Point or any Six Flags or Cedar Fair park with more of a classic feeling. It is also very cheap including the food which is very good. Dorney would be another good choice. I enjoy Dorney because it is a friendly atmosphere & has a nice collection of coasters & flats. Not to mention every time I go there the crowds are light. Steel Force is my favorite coaster there but Talon is great as well. Waldameer is a fun little park. Ravine Flyer II is great & they have the Steel Dragon & Comet coasters also but besides those, a small drop tower, & a few cool dark rides there really isn't much there. I'm assuming you've been to Hershey which is why it isn't on your list?

Definitely do Dorney and Knoebels.

The Phoenix is awesome, and I'll rave about the food. The pizza is some of the best, and the funnel cakes are amazing, and the Fries, Perogies, and Tri-Taters are just as awesome.

Knoebels is also just relaxing, you don't have the rush of let's go here, let's go there, you can just wander around the park and admire the beauty of it as well.

Nicole

I can only describe Dorney for you. The park usually isn't very crowded. It'll probably get more crowded once the water park closes though. But in my experience, I've gone on a Sunday and Tuesday in July and almost every single roller coaster was a walk-on. Also, Thunderhawk is actually kind of fun if you sit towards the front in a middle row. I made the mistake of riding in the back the first time and came off all sore.

If you could do two parks in one trip, that'd be awesome though. I don't think Dorney could last you the whole day unless you plan on doing the water park too. I've never done the water park and it always seems like we're just re-riding everything for the sake of not wanting to leave too early.

http://www.dorneypark.com/public/trip_planning/season_pass_central/index.cfm

-Come early to the pool and be cool in Wildwater Cove for the whole month of August.

-Be the first to ride Talon on Saturdays and Sundays, June 26 through August 22.

-early entrance time TBD

Yup, you do get ERT on Talon, they just haven't updated the perks page as to when entry is...