TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Behind the scenes Busch Gardens Coaster Tour

Great TR. Photos are amazing. The close ups are very juicy..!! I really enjoyed the shots on top of Griffin.

You are going to do some great coaster photography in your time.

Remember keep that camera rock steady to prevent motion blur, which will look like out of focus. I use garbage cans, fence posts, anything I can "lock" the camera down to and fire the shutter. Do this at night too, you will be really impressed.

Thank you for this post, very in depth, informative and was worth every second you spent.

josh

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great TR. Photos are amazing. The close ups are very juicy..!! I really enjoyed the shots on top of Griffin.

You are going to do some great coaster photography in your time.

Remember keep that camera rock steady to prevent motion blur, which will look like out of focus. I use garbage cans, fence posts, anything I can "lock" the camera down to and fire the shutter. Do this at night too, you will be really impressed.

Thank you for this post, very in depth, informative and was worth every second you spent.

josh

Thanks for the tip! I think I know what you mean. The Loch Ness theming shot at the end. I don't fully recall, but I think I was in a hurry to get out of the park. I snapped the picture because I thought it was excellent theming and didn't want to neglect it.

Yeah the last shot for sure got hit with a slower shutter speed and you were moving on top of it.

There were plenty of rock solid shots here, but there were a couple (not many) where I know your camera is good enough to have made those sharp sharp sharp...

dscn0649_107.jpg

"Once we were done with our Griffon ERT, we headed to Alpengiest."

&

dscn0696_638.jpg

"It had to be taken."

I think the camera also chose a slower shutter speed (due to low light) which causes the slightest streak in the pixels. Those shots I think (if memory serves) had hand rails near by. Set the camera on that and snap. I know it's hard to find places to put the camera when you are on the move. But when you see that "money shot" look around and see what you can put the camera on and hold it tight to take the picture. Low light and shadowy conditions force the camera to open the shutter for a tad bit longer to make exposure. But motion blur occurs.

Remember at night, turn the flash off and put the camera on top of a garbage can pointed at a ride. If you haven't done this, it will be fun..

Take care ! Good stuff man

josh

Yeah the last shot for sure got hit with a slower shutter speed and you were moving on top of it.

There were plenty of rock solid shots here, but there were a couple (not many) where I know your camera is good enough to have made those sharp sharp sharp...

dscn0649_107.jpg

"Once we were done with our Griffon ERT, we headed to Alpengiest."

&

dscn0696_638.jpg

"It had to be taken."

I think the camera also chose a slower shutter speed (due to low light) which causes the slightest streak in the pixels. Those shots I think (if memory serves) had hand rails near by. Set the camera on that and snap. I know it's hard to find places to put the camera when you are on the move. But when you see that "money shot" look around and see what you can put the camera on and hold it tight to take the picture. Low light and shadowy conditions force the camera to open the shutter for a tad bit longer to make exposure. But motion blur occurs.

Remember at night, turn the flash off and put the camera on top of a garbage can pointed at a ride. If you haven't done this, it will be fun..

Take care ! Good stuff man

josh

Wait, I don't really understand what you are saying when you are quoting my pictures. Were you saying that the Alpengiest and Rhine River Coasters shots were the ones that needed improvement, or the par to work up to? I personally am not too fond of those shots, but for the alpengiest shot I had to snap it and leave because the tour was leaving me behind.

Great report man, that tour looks like it was serious fun - totally worth the $80 (for 3 hours!). I did a behind-the-scenes tour at the Magic Kingdom about 10 years ago, but they didn't allow cameras (or anyone under 16!), and it didn't include anywhere near the detail that the BGE one did. I just love stuff like that.

Thanks for sharing,

Cameron.

Great report man, that tour looks like it was serious fun - totally worth the $80 (for 3 hours!). I did a behind-the-scenes tour at the Magic Kingdom about 10 years ago, but they didn't allow cameras (or anyone under 16!), and it didn't include anywhere near the detail that the BGE one did. I just love stuff like that.

Thanks for sharing,

Cameron.

It's funny, even though I am 14 they still counted me as an adult on the tour.

Same at the movies.

Is the priority boarding pass the all day one not the one per ride? Its not a bad deal if thats the case considering the front of line all day pass is $40 by itself.

I do believe someone else had the same question earlier in the thread, and I answered it. But I'll say it again just for you...

You do NOT have to pay for the front of the line all day pass when you take the tour. It is thrown in. It does only include one ride on each coaster, but it allows you to pick your seat, which is something you can't do with the one sold on their website (you must sit second row). Also, I wouldn't fret about not getting to ride a ride enough times. Keep in mind the tour includes some morning ERT!

For some odd reason you have to be 14 to go up the Griffion Lift, how odd when you pay adult ticket price before that, Ah well just have to wait a year.

Really?! Where did you find that out? I can hardly imagine why.

I am 14 so if that is right I would be allowed up anyway. But all the same, they didn't even ask for my age anywhere on the tour or on the website... Strange.

And I hope for your sake this tour is still going on in a year!

The tour is a pretty good idea. I have not been to BGE this year, are they promoting it a lot? I think more parks should do this if they can make it profitable.

No, it is not promoted a lot. You have to really look in order to find it on their website. The only reason i knew about it is because there was an article in the Washington Post!

Is there anything like this for Busch Gardens Africa?

- MixedDrink

There is, but it's not as good. Only Montu is involved, and the tour is only 45 minutes, where as the Williamsburg tour is 3 hours ... Here is the link:

http://www.buschgardens.com/bgt2/Explore/UpClose.aspx?id=1353#gotodetail

Also, this exact question was asked and answered on page 4 of the thread...

• 1 month later...
You seem a little tentative about posting this trip report... Don't be! You're photos were great and your comments were even better! Nice job! And what a cool tour! I bet you had a blast! I would love to go on a tour like that!

Thanks for the support! I guess I am not really confident in my ability to take decent pictures... I just try to stride away from the stereotype of how the typical 14 year old is expected to act on an online forum... I think I also have a fear of sounding cocky so I deconstruct myself instead...

My next trip report (unless something goes terribly wrong) will be an all park inclusive mega trip report to florida. I am going to florida over spring break and visiting pretty much every park down there. Those pics will be up hopefully later this year.

Money is kind of tight right now, and I am saving up for several different things, none of them involving rollercoasters. But I will probably have more up here soon.

Thanks for the feedback!

---Alex