TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I recently decided to try to make a coaster actually using the AHG. All my previous attempts to do so ended in a twisted piece of crap, but this ride is already turning out way better. Anyways, Pioneer is a Gravity Group woodie set in a ravine and along a river. The ride will be extremely long and divided into three sections: The pre-lift, a first lift, and (due to the nature of the land and the need for a good finale) a second lift. Right now, I'm partway through the first lift section. Below are a few pictures along with a preview video of the pre-lift.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Pioneer_Pre-Lift_ng7o[/coastertube]

343309016_PioneerPreview15.jpg.5081c7598a154f3816b65a8c8f78f973.jpg

View from the river.

1980717599_PioneerPreview14.jpg.fd028df6c02ad0ed47e9c4d589793bae.jpg

The drop off the first lift (130 feet).

595151337_PioneerPreview13.jpg.f1b409945061fc3fa64dfdf1ee18f07d.jpg

View of the ride from the Ride Operator's position.

1905644972_PioneerPreview12.jpg.e9eb52a18ceb7fac66e9e4a6eb236baf.jpg

Approaching the lift.

728488785_PioneerPreview11.jpg.5856272b1c5dd9bbd84334a6afe7b23e.jpg

The first few hops out of the station.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason, I've only gotten a topic notification for two of the posts on here: the first response, and the latest response. I visited the page after the first notification. Weird...

Those hills look a little misshapen. And why would you autoheartline a wooden coaster? That first turn looks so weird heartlined.

I'll be working on fixing up the track, including the hills. As for the heartline, I really wanted to try to finally get the AHG to work and I also wanted to create a woodie hybrid, so I used both on one coaster. In retrospect, it wasn't that good of an idea, but in order to be consistent (and because I'm not that good when it comes to banking), I will continue to use the AHG.

if I can make a suggestion, it has too much momentum going into the lift from the pre-lift

That may be Windows Movie Maker at work. It seems fine in the simulator and the .AVI file, but since I like condensing the file and adding things, I put it through Windows Movie Maker. For some weird reason, it speeds the video up slightly. Never the less, I will still slow it down a little bit going into the lift.

Thanks for the advice, everybody!

if I can make a suggestion, it has too much momentum going into the lift from the pre-lift

The speed of the train looks fine. Especially because of the brakes. I was actually going to comment him on putting the brakes before the lift. It makes it more realistic and many people don't pay attention to that.

Ditch the AHG untill the track is done. Wooden coasters need particular attention to details, such as heartlining and bankings. AHG banks the turns properly and heartlines it (provided the correct settings are inputted)- something that wooden coasters don't have throughout. Heartline values will vary on elements, some elements may not be heartlined, some partially heartlined, and some fully heartlined. GhostRider is a good example, as it has a drop that isn't heartlined, and the entrance to the turnaround is heartlined.

Bankings are also not proper. Wooden coasters generally create a tossing sensation, which is why the turns have less attention to, and they feel underbanked. Laterlas can be anything from 0 to spikes up to 2.0. Spikes in laterals are okay, as long as it's just a spike, not sustained.

If you're going to AHG a coaster, then use a steel coaster for practice, not a woodie.

The speed of the train looks fine. Especially because of the brakes. I was actually going to comment him on putting the brakes before the lift. It makes it more realistic and many people don't pay attention to that.

Actually, no brakes on a wooden coaster after a prelift makes it more realistic...thats why on wooden coasters the lift doesnt start in a flat position.

Those hills look a little misshapen. And why would you autoheartline a wooden coaster? That first turn looks so weird heartlined.

TGG heartlines their rides. You didnt notice on Voyage? So does GCI. Really depends on style. I usually heartline to 0.5. It provides the right feel and look and produces realistic G forces. If I want more lats in the transitions Ill heartline like 0.25.

Again, I say heartline values will vary on wooden coasters. It all depends on the feeling you want.

Take the first hill on Voyage. It's banked, but not heartlined. Also, look at some of the overbanked turns.

Maybe he means that second hill...and actually I think it is still heartlined. If you watch video from a walkback, youll see the track shifting laterally, not just banking. Which is a sign of heartlining. Especially since you can feel the track beneath you sway out, then sway back beneath you.

Also the overbanks, because of the PTC limitation on how quickly it can bank to that severe of a degree, is heartlined but has a pretty long lead in and lead out from the actual elements themselves.

Notice the catwalk in this picture. If it were just banking, the riders right (our left) the catwalk wouldnt be gone! Its gone because it becomes too narrow because the track is shifting. I could illustrate in NL if I needed to. But it may be hard to see, but its there.

To add further. If it were just banked, the right catwalk would actually be the safest if a train were to pass since its banked AWAY from that catwalk. The right (riders left) would be more unsafe as the ride banks the train towards it. So the track has shifted right (as if you were on it) while it banks left which is trademark heartline. The track moves opposite of the banking but in the correct severity to coincide with the desired forces wanted.

IMG_3844.thumb.jpg.d79f51df4d9c992021b0fe3a1a92fd16.jpg

I dont think it usually varies, not as much as you think. See the heartline there wouldnt be very much anyways because its only banked like 15 degrees or so (someone could Photoshop that and figure out an angle im sure). But check out a section on the outrun where its clearly very heartlined. I think where it wouldnt be as heartlined (or not seem to be) is when a bunch of laterals are wanted because it would be underbanked. But doesnt mean it wouldnt be heartlined.

Ive found a heartline or 0.5 to provide very good results on the average. Infact, I almost always use 0.5 for all wooden coasters unless Im doing something different. It produces enough movement to keep G's low but doesnt eliminate some of those great transitional G-Forces all together.