TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Sea World Florida's new Gizmo

Sea World Florida's New Smart Guide

For those of you that can't get enough of those fancy gadgets and gizmos something new has shown up at Sea World in Orlando, Florida. The park has a new in the park GPS information device called Shamu's SmartGuide. Loaded with all kinds of park information, video displays and interactive maps. The unit has a full park map which you can click on a ride or area and a video will display as to what you can do at a certain ride. Directions and distance to rides from where you are in the park, show times and all kinds of other park information. This is a test program and will likely show up at other Busch parks soon but Sea World is the only park currently with the GPS system. There should be information on Sea Worlds Website in the coming weeks. The cost is $18.00 plus tax so its something like $19.25 total and I figure you have to leave a Credit Card for collateral.

For larger versions of the photos below go here http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/basic.html

Below are the park flyers, photos of the unit and another plaque...

1924566344_tpr(3).jpg.4bb03329489fb4e48dfed00c94913041.jpg

In park advertisment

703087532_tpr(2).jpg.5991c85ead39e8d57059ecc16ca9e4ab.jpg

The unit diferent screen

1892959042_tpr(1).jpg.838e12c404f021cf74814fcfcdd444cc.jpg

The unit main screen

tpr.jpg.e6669a8529ab193ca27ada9b79945988.jpg

Flyers

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome, I hope Disney uses these soon, there parks are outragous, its almost impossible to navigate (unless you memorize the parks.) I would definately use one of these if I ever went to Disney. Though at Sea World they could use it for some of the back half of the park, but the front half really isnt all that confusing.

Since Sea World is a Busch company maybe they will actually put this in their other parks, like BGA, and BGE! Can't wait too see whats next in Florida's theme parks!

Person I talked with said for now its just at Sea World as a test run to see the popularity. I asked about other parks and was told most likely they will appear at the other Busch parks. I figure give them say 6 months and see what appears at other parks.

Its really a cool item, and has so much information on it that you could spend alot of time viewing all the stuff.

It also as advertisments for other Busch and water parks, as they show a video of BGT in which they show coasters, jungala and alot of stuff.

I would imagine they will become very popular as you know how most people are with gadgets...

Interesting idea. Integrate that with a Q-Bot system and it could be be a winner.

Still, it just seems like one more thing to carry (aside from keys, camera, cell phone, what have you), and I can pretty much do all the same navigating with a standard park map and signs. What happens if it gets wet? Is it waterproof?

I guess it could entertain you while standing in line or waiting for a show, but the pros don't out-weigh the cons.

I asked about dinner and show reseverations and was told that its in the works, if the units are popular there are alot of things that will get added...

I would guess that in a couple weeks when the information goes on to the website there well be some more information about them..

With the unit you also get a discount on food and merchandise in the park... Also season pass holders can rent for 10% off...

It also speaks in the common languages, english, spanish, german and a few of the other more popular languages..

Still, it just seems like one more thing to carry (aside from keys, camera, cell phone, what have you), and I can pretty much do all the same navigating with a standard park map and signs. What happens if it gets wet? Is it waterproof?

I guess it could entertain you while standing in line or waiting for a show, but the pros don't out-weigh the cons.

I think I would agree...just another thing to carry around. Would you have to put it in a locker or would it be considered a loose article? A regular old park map has worked fine for years for us (or asking a park employee for directions)!

On the other hand, if it could tell me ride wait times, (Or like fast pass availability) make a ride reservation, or make a dining reservation - I would reconsider my stance!

Cute idea, but I would not pay for a temporary map and show guide. As others mentioned posted maps and asking work fine.

For non English speaking folks though, it makes great sense.

If I went to Spain to check out two parks I am dying to see, I would love one of these devices, else I would be pretty much be lost all day.

Awesome, I hope Disney uses these soon, there parks are outragous, its almost impossible to navigate (unless you memorize the parks.)

It's not hard to plan ahead nowadays park-wise with the internet... I managed to survive all of the California parks last year without getting lost through the use of my own head and a map as well, so you don't need to memorize parks to know where to go... Maybe for secrets yes, but on the whole, not really...

Doubt I'd ever have one of these, since the only one in England that could require any possible use is Alton Towers, and now that I think a bit more, Blackpool due to its mis-mass...

When it comes to GPS, what I'd like to see are applications for GPS-enabled phones. Something you'd already be carrying, and those without GPS phones can still rent the individual units. A similar (albeit much more simplified) idea was created as a web-application for the iPhone with Disney's parks by a third party.

I doubt we'll see that happen as it would cut into the money flow from rentals, though they could theoretically charge for the application. Perhaps a time-limited one-time charge for those visiting, and a higher "unlimited" use charge for passholders.

Regardless, I love seeing the progression of technology making its way into theme parks in general. It'll certainly be interesting to see what people make with the iPhone SDK in regards to theme parks & GPS.